Is booking difficulty hurting DVC value?

BigDaddy1211

Earning My Ears
We almost have ourselves convinced to buy points, but the problem we keep running into is that we don't really want to be flexible when it comes to staying where we want to stay. So the question I pose is this:

"Is it worth it to spend $15-30k on vacation points and have to settle for my 2nd or 3rd choice of resorts most years?"

If we always wanted to stay at the same resort year after year, then we just buy there and book 11 months out. But that's not us. We like to stay at different places depending on what time of year it is or what we want to do on that specific trip. Does this mean that DVC is just not for us, or am I thinking about this all wrong ?

It's definitely becoming more difficult to book at 7 months and impossible at certain times of the year. I think you did think about it correctly; DVC might not be the right choice in your situation.

1. My folks have DVC and I book our trips. They own at SSR, which none of us really prefer, so we've ended up doing elaborate triple split stays, first out of necessity but now because we actually love it. I book usually about 5m out and I can usually find short stays available at almost all the resorts at that point (I.e. 2-3 nights). We cobble these together and get beautiful vacations with very little transportation needed and a wide variety of resort restaurants and attractions at our fingertips over the course of the week (Not to mention more frequent housekeeping since you walk into a clean room.) I think if you book exactly at 7m you probably won't get your pick for a full week at all (most?) resorts, but you could definitely find a MK area resort for 2-4 nights and either epcot area or AKL for 2-4 nights. IF there is one you'd especially love to have access to I'd buy there-- EPCOT area for example seems to fill very fast. Then you could know you'd have that and then just modify based on what you can get at 7m. Split stays aren't for everyone but I think they're a great option I never would have considered unless I had to. ETA: Obvious downside is coordinating cold food storage if cooking your own meals is a draw for you.

DVC is not for everyone. If you can not plan long range, 8-11 month ahead, just plan to pay more and stay in a Disney Hotel. But beware, you can't always get what you want on short notice at all the Disney Hotels either.

We've been members since 1999 and never had a proble at booking at our home resort at 7 months unless it's around F&W fest time, and then still been able to. This year staying at BLT in early December, no problem getting in there at 6 months. Now if we're talking about VGF then yea I can see problems getting in there.

"Is it worth it to spend $15-30k on vacation points and have to settle for my 2nd or 3rd choice of resorts most years?"

Generally speaking, DVC tends to yield 65-75% savings compared to cash rates for WDW lodging. To flip your question on its head: "Is it worth it to spend $45-120k for about the same vacation experience, just to guarantee your 1st choice of resort?"

We almost have ourselves convinced to buy points, but the problem we keep running into is that we don't really want to be flexible when it comes to staying where we want to stay. So the question I pose is this:

If we always wanted to stay at the same resort year after year, then we just buy there and book 11 months out. But that's not us. We like to stay at different places depending on what time of year it is or what we want to do on that specific trip. Does this mean that DVC is just not for us, or am I thinking about this all wrong ?

Another question is when do you plan to go and what size units. That makes a big difference in availability. Now, even that could change but some times and units will always be easier I believe.

But if you're completely inflexible yet want to book other than a home resort then yes, you are likely to be unhappy.

DVC is not for everyone. If you can not plan long range, 8-11 month ahead, just plan to pay more and stay in a Disney Hotel. But beware, you can't always get what you want on short notice at all the Disney Hotels either.
Exactly. When we talked about it, we realized that we plan almost a year in advance for any real vacation.

We might decide to go away for a night or two on short notice, but we stay close to home for those.

A week somewhere, or more? We are planners. Big planners.

we don't really want to be flexible when it comes to staying where we want to stay.

We like to stay at different places depending on what time of year it is or what we want to do on that specific trip.

Those two things don't seem to go together. Staying at difference places IS flexibility. Isn't it?

Now if the middle ground you're talking about is not wanting to risk being able to stay exactly where you want to stay, then that's a problem, because you won't always be certain of getting exactly what you want at 7 months.

We've made that work for us because we have the resorts we are cool staying at, and any can work at any time.

It may not be for you but compared to paying cash, it's quite a bit of savings compared to deluxe and likely modest savings compared to moderate but does offer extra value. That assumes you use studios or 2 BR compared to 2 rooms otherwise. The 1 & 3 BR are less of a savings comparatively but may still be worth it in many cases. Depending on when and what resorts, you might be OK but if you simply must stay at a given resort for specific trips, even owning there and booking day one 11 months out isn't an absolute guarantee. Poly and VGF have fixed weeks so that might be an option but may decrease your overall savings significantly. If you have enough volume, you could own more than one home resort. You could also buy and use for part of your trips and pay cash for the rest. BWV, BCV, BLT, VWL, and VGF you likely would need to own there with what you've described. OKW, SSR & AKV you should be OK getting in but may not be able to get certain booking categories.

You should likely consider renting for a trip or 2 and see if you're OK with the compromises involved, you may not be. But if you buy and it doesn't work out, you can always sell for a relatively minimal loss of maybe a couple thousand $$$.

Yeah, our favorite resort is Beach Club and our favorite time to go is during F&W, which means we would definitely have to own BCV. Problem is that it doesn't seem like much of a value given end date of 2042. We are in early 40s and that will fall right at retirement.

The split stay option seems reasonable and maybe a little fun.

By "staying at different places " and "not wanting to be flexible " I mean that we like to plan vacation (parks, restaurants, etc) first and then book the resort that works best with those things. In this case, we would no longer be able to do that.

We understand the savings, but are just having a hard time giving up being able to stay at BC or WL or Poly whenever we want to.

We like to stay at different places depending on what time of year it is or what we want to do on that specific trip. Does this mean that DVC is just not for us, or am I thinking about this all wrong ?

If you are planning on traveling between Sept - Dec then in those months you better buy where you want to stay. Other than that - as long as you can book 7 months ahead and not wait until 3 months, looking at the booking patterns, you should be able to find something other than your home resort. You might need a little flexibility of room type but if you have your heart set on trying a certain resort then you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

So bottom line that many people will suggest is - buy where you love and then if you want to use your points some where else then do so if the opportunity arises.

Yeah, our favorite resort is Beach Club and our favorite time to go is during F&W, which means we would definitely have to own BCV. Problem is that it doesn't seem like much of a value given end date of 2042. We are in early 40s and that will fall right at retirement.

By "staying at different places " and "not wanting to be flexible " I mean that we like to plan vacation (parks, restaurants, etc) first and then book the resort that works best with those things. In this case, we would no longer be able to do that.

We understand the savings, but are just having a hard time giving up being able to stay at BC or WL or Poly whenever we want to.
In my case, it's not an "either-or" proposition. I still book rooms on cash. In fact, both visits in 2016 were/will be cash stays. I did a *free* dining trip with my sister and nieces in September (CSR) and will be staying at GF and Poly for a conference in December. After renting out my points for the year, those stays were paid for.

However, the cash stays are not the norm and it's not a good idea going into DVC ownership if you think you will stay on cash more often than you stay on points.

We started off thinking that we wanted to stay at different resorts. Bought several and stayed at all and after a few years things changed. The parks were the same year after year still fun but different now and the resorts became more important. As time went on we found that VGF and VWL became our favorite MK resorts and BWV became our Epcot/DHS favorite resort. By alternating with either split stays, or MK this time, Epcot the next, we stay close to the parks and love staying in our favorite resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

We bought OKW in 2006 because it was the cheapest WDW resort via resale at that time. We don't love staying at OKW and use the points at 7 months out. It has gotten more difficult but is still do able. We like to stay at all the resorts, changing things up with each trip. We have been very pleased. If there is one specific resort you just gotta stay at, then buy that resort but if you are like us, and it sounds like you are, and like the variety, DVC is still good. Though I do suggest buying at a resort that has some booking category that is tough at 7 months.

Have you actually run the numbers, though? There's something flawed in your logic if you are concluding that "we would only get 27 years of savings from a BCV purchase, therefore it is a bad deal."

Nothing wrong with remaining a cash guest. But if you're considering DVC, I assume there is a financial motivation--a desire to save. Rising rates of Disney hotel rooms and DVC dues can be projected within a reasonable margin for error. Create a spreadsheet showing what both options will cost you between now and 2042 based upon expected travel patterns. The hotel option WILL be more. If you're comfortable paying those extra dollars for the extra freedom & convenience, the decision is an easy one.

We started off thinking that we wanted to stay at different resorts. Bought several and stayed at all and after a few years things changed. The parks were the same year after year still fun but different now and the resorts became more important. As time went on we found that VGF and VWL became our favorite MK resorts and BWV became our Epcot/DHS favorite resort. By alternating with either split stays, or MK this time, Epcot the next, we stay close to the parks and love staying in our favorite resorts.

:earsboy: Bill
But do you own at those resorts or are you able to find them at 7 months? Because this sounds exactly like what we would like to do.

Also, We would eventually like to own at multiple resorts. But can anyone make a case that buying BCV or BWV is still a good value at this point?

Have you actually run the numbers, though? There's something flawed in your logic if you are concluding that "we would only get 27 years of savings from a BCV purchase, therefore it is a bad deal."

Nothing wrong with remaining a cash guest. But if you're considering DVC, I assume there is a financial motivation--a desire to save. Rising rates of Disney hotel rooms and DVC dues can be projected within a reasonable margin for error. Create a spreadsheet showing what both options will cost you between now and 2042 based upon expected travel patterns. The hotel option WILL be more. If you're comfortable paying those extra dollars for the extra freedom & convenience, the decision is an easy one.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely understand that it would still save us $ to buy at BCV vs. paying cash. I am comparing it to the savings of buying AKV or BLT resale or even Poly direct.
That is what I mean by not as much value.

It's a trade off - flexibility vs savings.

Given what you've said, renting seems to be the better solution for you, as long as you make your plans well before the 7 month window opens. You'll pay more than if you owned, but in most cases, quite a bit less than booking directly with Disney for cash.

Rent until you figure out if you really do enjoy the variety as much as you think you will. If not, you can purchase your favorite(s) at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter