Is Carousel of Progress a thing of the past?

Would you like to see an update to Carousel of Progress?

• No - leave it as is! It's a classic.

• Yes Please!!

• Yes - but not the one you suggested, ya crazy lady!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sorry, to me, it's on par with the Tiki room, nobody in my family really cares for it, but it gives a place to sit and rest our feet. Or, as stated above, it's a place to head to when it's raining or hot
Oh, THE TIKI ROOM, that rocks too!
Small World at Disneyland is our favorite ride on a 100 degree day to chill and rest on.

I wouldn't throw a tantrum if only the last scene were updated. But I actually love the first scene and wouldn't change it. It's not much of a carousel of progress if we don't go way back and really see how much life has changed.
After reading through the replies this is starting to be my opinion as well!! Lol

Sorry, to me, it's on par with the Tiki room, nobody in my family really cares for it, but it gives a place to sit and rest our feet. Or, as stated above, it's a place to head to when it's raining or hot
I’m with you on the tiki room. I just think COP captures Walt’s spirit and a little bit of his vision.

I've just read somewhere (probably here) that the final scene is scheduled for an update. I forget when it's supposed to be done, perhaps in time for the 50th?

It's already more than 50 years old. The COP debuted at the New York World's Fair in 1964 as part of General Electric's Progressland. My mother told me I rode it in 1965, but I don't recall it. Wow----a 20 minute wait back then.

e7abb76b-3814-4104-a80e-c23dd57d8c6c.jpg

It's A Small World was born there also. I do have vague memories of that.

WFW665992LARGE.jpg

It's already more than 50 years old. The COP debuted at the New York World's Fair in 1964 as part of General Electric's Progressland. My mother told me I rode it in 1965, but I don't recall it. Wow----a 20 minute wait back then.

e7abb76b-3814-4104-a80e-c23dd57d8c6c.jpg

It's A Small World was born there also. I do have vague memories of that.

WFW665992LARGE.jpg
I don’t think I’ve ever been more jealous in my life!!!!! Thank you sooo much for sharing (especially the pics)!!

When Tomorrowland was doing the "yesterday's view of the future!" theme, I thought it was perfect the way it was.

I have thought about this a lot because I love the attraction, but I don't really have a good answer. It seems the idea of progress is something already covered by Spaceship Earth (although they focus on communication specifically).

Maybe a complete redo is in order? Find a way to add a fifth scene, and move to be every 30 years? 1900, 1930, 1960, 1990, today?

Honestly, all of Tomorrowland needs a rehab, in my opinion. Maybe go back to the "Yesterday's tomorrow... today!" theme.

I think Micca meant for the 50th anniversary of WDW. :thumbsup2

The Carousel of Progress is my absolute favorite ride, it truly is the essence of Disney and is one of the most nostalgic rides. That said, I agree with the others, that last scene is the only thing that needs updating. That dining set makes me laugh every time I see it, it's probably the most dated piece in the whole set.

We had our first WDW visit this year after 4 trips to DLR. COP was a highlight, one of those rides that only works at Disney and would just be silly cheesy anywhere else.

Agree the last scene could do with an update - I’d be curious to know how long ago it was last updated?

CoP is one of my favorites. Instead of trying to "chase" technology and constantly update the last scene which results in an ever-widening technological gap between the last two scenes, I think they should take it in the other direction and return it to whatever it was originally. Then it can be presented as a sort of ode to Walt. A time capsule of his lifetime with an educational component about the technology of his era and what he had to work with, with the final scene being how he envisioned the future. The audience would be left to compare and contrast Walt's vision of the future with how it actually came to fruition and how far it's come since, leaving them to wonder how big they can dream and how much bigger than that the future will actually be.

I voted to leave CofP alone. I love this attraction because for me, it is totally Disney. With all of the changes that have taken place, or that are scheduled to change, Cof P remains the same. I like change, but I want to have a few constants that I can count on.

My family tries to visit certain attractions every trip, and Cof P is one of those, along with People Mover, Small World and Philharmagic.

Here’s what I’m proposing.
  • Get rid of the first scene. You know the one that happens at the “turn of the century”? Not the one that we have been in for 18 now, but the 1900s.
  • Start with the 2nd scene, and keep the 3rd the same.
  • Update the 4th scene to include what those things actually look like. Maybe add in a google home or alexa type thing, a smart phone and a VR headset that actually looks like VR.
  • Create a new last scene that highlights a future technology.

I would keep the original 3 scenes, they are what makes the show so great. I would update the final scene, and make the commitment to update it every 5 or so years. Technology changes so quickly.

That dining set makes me laugh every time I see it, it's probably the most dated piece in the whole set.
That dining set is retro chic! I also think it's time for Uncle Orville to have a mid-life crisis--get a sports car, maybe a girlfriend.

One of the explanations I've heard for leaving it as is is that it currently encapsulates a century. I'm okay without updates because I think that final scene has become just about as quaint as the others. What I would appreciate is it being clean, entirely in good working order and good show -- and a theater that doesn't reek of mold and mildew. Our last two visits had a theater stinking to high heaven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter