Is Chapek on the verge of being fired?

I'm sure Iger weighed the Virus when considering stepping down, but to think that the board just had a guy in waiting incase Poop hit the fan is a bit to far. Vetting out a CEO in a company the size of Disney would take months and months. It's not like they had an emergency crisis button that automatically activated Chaepek haha
Iger had been flirting with leaving since 2018. The board had been doing succession planning for years. I'm not saying the virus was definitively the only factor, but Iger probably didn't want to deal with this on the home stretch of his tenure.

Another view. Disney has massive cross pollination. I bet the percentage of Disney Parks fans buy on average many more Disney+ subscriptions, buy more DVDs, go on more cruises, buy more merchandise online etc than someone who isn’t that bothered, and maybe goes on vacation to WDW or DL once.
The more Mr Chapek hacks off those fans, the more likely they are to be done with Disney- not just the park, but the merch, Disney+ etc.
Disney+ is struggling due to lack of content, and the stuff that’s there often mainly appeals to Disney fans. Yes, a wider base will like to see the latest Marvel or Pixar film, but they can maybe take it or leave it- particularly when taking it means subscribing to a Disney centric service, which they are just not that bothered about.
Driving away Disney fans is potentially quite detrimental to the entire business, not just Parks.
If I was a shareholder, I wouldn’t be overly happy at the moment,
As a DIS shareholder, I agree with your statements and I am unhappy at the moment due to the stock price fall and the all of the new changes for the parks that now cost more money which is not helping the DIS stock...

Another view. Disney has massive cross pollination. I bet the percentage of Disney Parks fans buy on average many more Disney+ subscriptions, buy more DVDs, go on more cruises, buy more merchandise online etc than someone who isn’t that bothered, and maybe goes on vacation to WDW or DL once.
The more Mr Chapek hacks off those fans, the more likely they are to be done with Disney- not just the park, but the merch, Disney+ etc.
Disney+ is struggling due to lack of content, and the stuff that’s there often mainly appeals to Disney fans. Yes, a wider base will like to see the latest Marvel or Pixar film, but they can maybe take it or leave it- particularly when taking it means subscribing to a Disney centric service, which they are just not that bothered about.
Driving away Disney fans is potentially quite detrimental to the entire business, not just Parks.
If I was a shareholder, I wouldn’t be overly happy at the moment,
Disney+ has more subscribers than Disney thought they would have at year 4, so struggling seems strong, slowing down, absolutely. I would argue that most children are Disney fans, and Disney+ offers a safe subscription that parents are comfortable with, (i think this is key, in a world where parents don't know what they can turn to anymore, as safe family entertainment). I agree that there isn't enough new content on their platform yet, but they have been ticking up at a nice clip, and have plenty on the docket, i think they are doing this to attract older viewers where nostalgia isn't enough.

As a shareholder, i would tell you to look back to last March, and tell me if you'd be happy with where they are now, every stock has a correction from time to time, and corrections aren't always a companies fault, different things drive people to certain stocks, in this case COVID played a big role, especially bc Disney+ was outperforming expectations by a big number, and anything streaming related was considered a "safe stock" last year, so people came to it in droves, driving stock prices higher than where they should have been, and at that point it takes 1 bad quarter, (in this case) for the dominos to fall

Iger had been flirting with leaving since 2018. The board had been doing succession planning for years. I'm not saying the virus was definitively the only factor, but Iger probably didn't want to deal with this on the home stretch of his tenure.
i agree, and i believe Iger has said as much

As a DIS shareholder, I agree with your statements and I am unhappy at the moment due to the stock price fall and the all of the new changes for the parks that now cost more money which is not helping the DIS stock...
there is no way to quantify that yet, you may be correct, but they haven't been around long enough to say one way or the other

I agree that most don't plan it last minute, i just think most people plan it out, and then budget. The price is the price, and you either can or can't afford it, is how i see it for most people. i don't think people break down most bills, thinking of cell phones, electric, gas, ect., and i especially don't see most doing it for a vacation.

On top of that, most families, (i believe) know where they want to go, and budget based around that destination. Younger couples with more flexibility would fall into a demographic that shopped around, but they do not make up the bulk of Disneys guests, and Disney is probably ok edging them out, because they are more limited in capital once they get into the parks

I am aware people shop vacations around, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just feel like the bulk of people do not

there’s a reason why they run promos…..

I don't think he is going to be fired. I think it is a pipe dream to expect him to be fired at this point. Disney fans are notorious for throwing a fit over any and all change no matter how big or small, so the outrage and petitions were expected and I doubt anyone is paying a bit of attention to it because at the end of the day, crowds aren't shrinking.

Disney+ has more subscribers than Disney thought they would have at year 4, so struggling seems strong, slowing down, absolutely. I would argue that most children are Disney fans, and Disney+ offers a safe subscription that parents are comfortable with, (i think this is key, in a world where parents don't know what they can turn to anymore, as safe family entertainment). I agree that there isn't enough new content on their platform yet, but they have been ticking up at a nice clip, and have plenty on the docket, i think they are doing this to attract older viewers where nostalgia isn't enough.

As a shareholder, i would tell you to look back to last March, and tell me if you'd be happy with where they are now, every stock has a correction from time to time, and corrections aren't always a companies fault, different things drive people to certain stocks, in this case COVID played a big role, especially bc Disney+ was outperforming expectations by a big number, and anything streaming related was considered a "safe stock" last year, so people came to it in droves, driving stock prices higher than where they should have been, and at that point it takes 1 bad quarter, (in this case) for the dominos to fall
In 3 weeks, DIS is down 17%……..some of it is his fault.

He's not going anywhere. Unfortunately, Disney's board of directors hired him to squeeze every last drop out of the company's divisions in order to pay off all the massive debt they've acquired purchasing Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox and building Shanghai Disneyland (Iger's pet project).

Chapek's biggest problem is that he's doesn't come off a likable and he's not a creative guy. He's spent his entire career at Disney slashing budgets, broadening licensing agreements and churning out cheap knock-offs like Bambi II and Cinderella III. He's the reason you can buy Mickey Mouse sheets at Pottery Barn and Disney t-shirts at Hot Topic. Even MLMs like Scentsy have licensing agreements with Disney now. He's going to milk every dollar out of the divisions including Parks for years to come. Disney+ content and sports gambling doesn't come cheap.

Saw this interesting post on Facebook:

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that this is a really old post. Josh is currently president of all Disney parks. He replaced Bob in that position when Bob was promoted to Disney CEO.

What are your thoughts?
I wouldn’t put to much stock into it, if there was any merit to it, someone in the media would have already sniffed it out. What you’ve got here seems to be a good ole bus driver haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter