Is Coral Reef a good place now that is is 1 TS??

Suzanne74

DIS Veteran
I am debating whether to eat here this trip. I know we are going to do LeCellier again but I thought dd might like Coral Reef on our other Epcot day. None of us have ever eaten there so I have no idea. The menu looks good but still unsure

This may be seen as a daft question, but what does cat fish taste like, its not that common onver here.

Catfish is my least favorite fish, but having said that, sometimes it is really quite good. I utterly loved the catfish at Garden Grill. Of course, you Southern fry anything and I'll love it! :rotfl: Seriously, it's a fish that if you're not a real catfish fan, I think you'll only want to order it fried.

Amyrlin said:
This may be seen as a daft question, but what does cat fish taste like, its not that common onver here.
It's very common where we live-unfortunately, because I don't like it. I can't really describe it except to say it has kind of a strong, overly fishy taste to me, not like halibut or swordfish or cod.

We thought it was worth it last year as 2 credits. We are booking here on our first evening and are really looking forward to it.

and I must say it was very enjoyable. The restaurant is designed, at least to our eyes, like a dinner theater, with all tables able to view the tank. We had 5:30 ADRs and had to wait quite a bit (close to at least 6 before we sat down) and we were on the third (upper) level. But we had a nice view. Divers were in the tank on and off the entire meal.

As for the food, the lobster soup is very good and dh enjoyed the shrimp cocktail. Our server told us since there were no appies on the kids menu, they were welcome to order off the adults. DS1 ordered the lobster soup, but DS2 is too young to enjoy any of them so dh had the shrimp and the soup. DH had the crab cake and I had the pan seared flounder, which I thought at first was a bit fishy but after the first couple of bites, ended up being surprisingly good. I had a chocolate souffle type dessert (warm chocolate cake with a hot liquid center) and dh had the creme brulee.

We definitely enjoyed it, but it was one of the longer meals we had all week. It was close to 8:15 when we got out. We were lucky that our boys enjoyed watching the tank or it would have been a difficult evening (plus DS2 was especially hungry that night).

I am not a strong fish person and I had the catfish at the Coral Reef back in December. It was the best meal of the trip and definatly not too stron flavored. The cheesy grits were unbelievably good. It was definatly worth it. Back in December it was still 2 credits so we paid out of pocket for this one.

I eat cajun catfish all the time and don't think it has a fishy taste at all. I've never had it without the seasoning, so I can't say what the one at CR is like.

I had the grouper and it was wonderful! DH had the catfish and loved it as well.

Amyrlin said:
It is hard to describe the taste of catfish but I can give you some advice, You should only eat the white part, sometimes the fish is not skinned properly and they leave the slimey gray part in. We all love catfish but my mother will not even attempt to eat if it is she sees they gray stuff "GROSS Stuff".

Edited to add: OOPPS Guess I should have read the whole thread before posting... I was talking about Fried Catfish....Southern Girl...We do eat anything fried... :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter