• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is covid getting weaker?

Wanted to add, another science article I read recently also said that the usage of non-medical masks also lowers but not totally eliminates our exposure to the virus, so that over time we are exposed to low levels thus building immunity https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913\
And the others I referred to earlier: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3 and the D614G mutation (there are numerous articles on this and what it could mean for viral spread).
Have read the same regarding "viral load" and how low level exposure may allow us to build some immunity without getting as sick. The vast majority of us are much more conscious of exposure than we were in February so this isn't surprising IMO.

I sincerely hope so. That said, I think a lot of people in high risk groups (obviously not all) are trying to protect themselves and are being protected by others. I think Washington state is a great example of this. We had a very high initial rate because it hit a very high risk group. Now that we are following stringent protocol, those groups AND the people who contact people in that group are much more protected and all are numbers are going downwards.
We know that over 80% of the Covid deaths here in our province were amongst elderly residents in seniors' care facilities. That "wave" took place from March to June. We are currently experiencing a tragic, yet very interesting outbreak at hospital in my city. To date, 73 people have been diagnosed with Covid from one source - 36 patients, 31 staff members and 6 visitors. 6 have died (all patients there receiving acute care for various other conditions) and none of the 37 people previously in good health have reported any severe outcome at all.

:scratchin That's a huge 17% fatality rate among people with compromised health and 0% fatality rate among the normally healthy people. They said from the beginning that the threat to those with underlying conditions was high, and apparently that has not changed.

It gives you pnemonia among other ailments, it would seem milder and cause less deaths in summer. I'd be more nervous of that than feeling relief that it might be weakening.

Last edited:
They are peer reviewed articles. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are garbage.

They are not gospel.

Ok well it beats getting your info from FB or biased news outlets. So, when you find a better place to obtain real scientific information, be sure and post it here so I can check it out. Thanks !!!!!

Ok well it beats getting your info from FB or biased news outlets. So, when you find a better place to obtain real scientific information, be sure and post it here so I can check it out. Thanks !!!!!

I think you are misunderstanding my post. Peer reviewed articles are the best source of information. However, they are all not created equal. It’s important to read the responses.

I put the Mask Creating Immunity article with 10% of America has Antibodies as the worst Covid articles thus far.

I have two family members who recently had Covid. One had multiple comorbidities. She gets the flu & pneumonia at least once a year. I was terrified for her. Her symptoms were mostly a horrible headache for a week & weakness. Her PCP called in meds for her & told her to go to the emergency room, if she got worse. She never had to go to the hospital. I'm thinking she probably received a low viral load, because no one else in her immediate family tested positive. They had all shared a house on vacation, prior to her testing positive. The second, a 35 year old nurse, was admitted to the hospital two days after she tested positive. The next day she was sent to ICU. Fortunately, they didn't have to put her on a ventilator, but she's still on oxygen, even though she's been released from the hospital.

Some of you have probably heard about the 19 year old that was perfectly healthy, yet passed away last week. He attended to the same college my niece & nephew attended for undergrad. That was a heartbreaking story.

So, no, I don't think it's getting weaker. Like JimMIA mentioned, I do think they're getting better at treating it, if they catch it early enough.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it’s getting weaker or not but I know one thing I don’t want to find out personally.

I'm right there with you. My family is upset that we're not going up there for Christmas & promising that everyone will wear a mask. I told them we'll see them, when we can get a vaccine. It's looking like Christmas in July for us. I hope for sooner, but won't be surprised, if it's later.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can say definitively either way, and anyone who does, on either side, is misrepresenting.

I'm right there with you. My family is upset that we're not going up there for Christmas & promising that everyone will wear a mask. I told them we'll see them, when we can get the vaccine. It's looking like Christmas in July for us. I hope for sooner, but won't be surprised, if it's later.

Same here. I told family we are holding off on any large gatherings until we have a vaccine.

Seems dangerous to think it's weakening. My gut is that the reason it's less lethal is because our medical community knows what they are doing now and the highest risk people are avoiding it like the plague plus enough people are wearing masks and cleaning like mad to create a bit of buffer cutting off massive spread.

As for how it's going in those actually infected, the most obvious change is that other illnesses like Flu, Strep and simmering sinus and ear infections are less common so a healthy human can do ok with it one on one, but our bodies get into trouble when we start stacking infections - toss in some underlying inflammation from a comorbidity and things don't end well. There is a reason why vaccinations don't happen when someone is sick & I suspect the key to how lethal it is sits in how our bodies behave under the stress of multiple fronts of attack.

I have a lot of Neanderthal DNA!! I’m off to Google 😬
Curious I have been researching this and found articles linking severity of illness to the % of Neanderthal genes. Interesting correlation. Only 1 DNA testing service reports the % of Neanderthal DNA. Did you find the same on google?

Covid is on the rise again. But, I am hopeful that the severity of the current strain is weaker. I'm having PTSD after working through the pandemic. I don't mean to minimize what other's experience with PTSD, but when I see things images on TV of healthcare workers wearing PPE, I have anxiety. It doesn't affect me to the point of not being able to care for my covid patients. But it I definitely notice anxiety. And now, I'm getting 2-3 positive test returns a day for my patients. That's about 30% of my tests coming back positive again. I have a handful of patients that I'm worried about, but have not needed to admit someone to the hospital since March.

Neighbor is a nurse. She said those vaccinated and boosted if they are hospitalized make a full recovery. Some non vaccinated are doing better, but it’s hard to fully tell yet. The hospitals are getting more cases, but not nearly as bad as two years ago or even one year ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter