Is DAS worth it with genie +

mfleeting

Mouseketeer
If we are getting Genie + is it worth it to even try to get DAS? My daughter has epilepsy and POTS so standing in lines for more than like 30 minutes is not really a good thing for her. But it sounds like most of the longer lines already use genie + so just wondering if we should even request a DAS pass this year.

Yes, it makes things far easier for you. You get a ride with a return time and then can look for something else with G+. We use it to great success.

It's better because you can use it on ANY ride, not just rides that offer G+.

Get the DAS and use G+ for the best possible experience.

With DAS, you won't need Genie+ since you'll be able to get basically the same service for free. You'll make 3 ressies per day ahead of time, and then can use the app to make more during the day (every two hours, just like Genie+)

It's not really the same service. DAS is not as efficient as G+ because you are tied to the listed standby wait time for each ride. Using both is the best option to maximize ride experiences.

With DAS, you won't need Genie+ since you'll be able to get basically the same service for free. You'll make 3 ressies per day ahead of time, and then can use the app to make more during the day (every two hours, just like Genie+)
You get 2 pre arranged selections per day, not 3.

The selections you make while in the park aren’t every 2 hours. You make a selection, and can return any time at or after the app tells you. You cannot make another selection until you have used the first one (or canceled it).

OP, yes DAS is worth it because it will help with rides that don’t have Genie+, as well as the ILL$ rides.

We recently (10/31-11/2) took a trip and genie+ was basically useless.

1. G+ is only good on some rides, and a lot of times those were fast movers and had shorter lines than the lines without G+ (Dumbo, peter pan, luigi's cars, pirates, etc.) The DAS allowed us to ride things we never would have been able to stand in line for that did not have G+. RSR does not have G+.

2. A lot of times, G+ return times were way far out. DAS is the line length minus a little bit, and it's good all day as opposed to an hour window. For example, if we hopped to DLR at 1pm, HMH G+ was already at 7-8pm. DAS allowed us to ride rides like these.

3. G+ lines can still be long. On some rides, DAS goes through the exit as opposed to waiting in G+ line.

4. You only get to ride a ride once with G+. DAS is as many times as you want.

typically, we would book a G+ for something, and then use DAS to fill in rides in close proximity while we waited for the G+ window to open.

it sounds like I'm upselling DAS, which feels horrible, but I cannot deny that we were INFINITELY more productive with a DAS than we would have been with G+. Infinitely. If you/your family member truly qualifies for a DAS, I would look into it because it will improve your trip considerably. My DAS-qualified child would never ever have been able to ride something like Peter Pan (and we haven't, in many trips, because a 45 minute wait is out of the question for him.) ROTR would have either been a no-go or cost our family an extra $150. DAS allowed us to ride it.

We recently (10/31-11/2) took a trip and genie+ was basically useless.

1. G+ is only good on some rides, and a lot of times those were fast movers and had shorter lines than the lines without G+ (Dumbo, peter pan, luigi's cars, pirates, etc.) The DAS allowed us to ride things we never would have been able to stand in line for that did not have G+. RSR does not have G+.

2. A lot of times, G+ return times were way far out. DAS is the line length minus a little bit, and it's good all day as opposed to an hour window. For example, if we hopped to DLR at 1pm, HMH G+ was already at 7-8pm. DAS allowed us to ride rides like these.

3. G+ lines can still be long. On some rides, DAS goes through the exit as opposed to waiting in G+ line.

4. You only get to ride a ride once with G+. DAS is as many times as you want.

typically, we would book a G+ for something, and then use DAS to fill in rides in close proximity while we waited for the G+ window to open.

it sounds like I'm upselling DAS, which feels horrible, but I cannot deny that we were INFINITELY more productive with a DAS than we would have been with G+. Infinitely. If you/your family member truly qualifies for a DAS, I would look into it because it will improve your trip considerably. My DAS-qualified child would never ever have been able to ride something like Peter Pan (and we haven't, in many trips, because a 45 minute wait is out of the question for him.) ROTR would have either been a no-go or cost our family an extra $150. DAS allowed us to ride it.
Glad to hear you had a good experience. Which rides allow you to go through the exit rather than the Genie line? As I had heard the DAS line was pretty much always the Genie Plus line. Curious as we go next week and have already preregistered for DAS.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. Which rides allow you to go through the exit rather than the Genie line? As I had heard the DAS line was pretty much always the Genie Plus line. Curious as we go next week and have already preregistered for DAS.

It depends on the person. Some people with DAS cannot do stairs or are in a wheelchair. Those guests go in the exits of certain rides. If there is no LL, you will use the exit.

Most Fantasyland rides use the exit since they have no LL.

We have a DAS (can do stairs, no wheelchair) and the only rides we are sent through the exit are the rides in Fantasyland.

Thanks for all the replies! We were worried we would be cancelling our trip this month but we still get to go and my daughter neurologist and cardiologist are both giving me paperwork so hopefully DAS won’t be a problem to get for her. We’ve never used DAS before but we learned at Universal this summer the max she can do in line is about 30 minutes on a good day.

You don’t need “paperwork” to obtain a DAS. In fact, the CMs won’t even look at it. You will need to explain the problem you have with waiting in the normal lines.

it sounds like I'm upselling DAS, which feels horrible, but I cannot deny that we were INFINITELY more productive with a DAS than we would have been with G+. Infinitely. If you/your family member truly qualifies for a DAS, I would look into it because it will improve your trip considerably.

If it makes you feel better, I don't think you need to feel horrible. Someone was trying to figure out what would work best for their family and you were trying to help. The DAS system exists, and there are people who qualify for it.

Thanks for all the replies! We were worried we would be cancelling our trip this month but we still get to go and my daughter neurologist and cardiologist are both giving me paperwork so hopefully DAS won’t be a problem to get for her. We’ve never used DAS before but we learned at Universal this summer the max she can do in line is about 30 minutes on a good day.
They won't look at any paperwork to qualify a person for DAS. Really, they won't ask for specific medical condition names. You'll just need to tell them why you daughter needs it-- why she can't handle a regular line or if it's a mobility issue. Does she get agitated in lines or have increased pain in lines or just a hard time physically standing in lines? Does it cause her POTS symptoms to increase? Is it something a wheelchair would help or with? Does it increase the chance of seizure activity?

In my case, I have psoriatic arthritis, so standing in one place in line, especially without wiggle room (like all of the fantasy land rides) doesn't allow me enough room to move my joints well to avoid pain. A wheelchair exacerbates the issues since then I'm moving even less. I'm also immunocompromised, so being that close to people for 30+ minutes gives me a lot of exposure to other germs... and then I get anxious that I can't get away from someone with a cold. So an alternative waiting area limits my standing-still time, limits my exposure to potential germs that would stop my medical treatments, and lessens my anxiety. Win, win, win!

When they hear the potential risks of a person waiting in a longer line, they make the call on approving the DAS.

I will totally recommend doing the DAS registration on line 2-30 days before your trip. Then there's no physical line to stand in at the parks, and you can reserve 2 DAS selections per day ahead of time. Absolutely wonderful for when you know your kiddo wants to do X ride every day and it's a ride with long waits. On my trip last week, I had a pre-selection for Haunted Mansion Holiday every day because that line sucks! Your daughter will need to be there with you for the video call. It can be a long wait sometimes, but so worth it for the ease on your first day!

They won't look at any paperwork to qualify a person for DAS. Really, they won't ask for specific medical condition names. You'll just need to tell them why you daughter needs it-- why she can't handle a regular line or if it's a mobility issue. Does she get agitated in lines or have increased pain in lines or just a hard time physically standing in lines? Does it cause her POTS symptoms to increase? Is it something a wheelchair would help or with? Does it increase the chance of seizure activity?

In my case, I have psoriatic arthritis, so standing in one place in line, especially without wiggle room (like all of the fantasy land rides) doesn't allow me enough room to move my joints well to avoid pain. A wheelchair exacerbates the issues since then I'm moving even less. I'm also immunocompromised, so being that close to people for 30+ minutes gives me a lot of exposure to other germs... and then I get anxious that I can't get away from someone with a cold. So an alternative waiting area limits my standing-still time, limits my exposure to potential germs that would stop my medical treatments, and lessens my anxiety. Win, win, win!

When they hear the potential risks of a person waiting in a longer line, they make the call on approving the DAS.

I will totally recommend doing the DAS registration on line 2-30 days before your trip. Then there's no physical line to stand in at the parks, and you can reserve 2 DAS selections per day ahead of time. Absolutely wonderful for when you know your kiddo wants to do X ride every day and it's a ride with long waits. On my trip last week, I had a pre-selection for Haunted Mansion Holiday every day because that line sucks! Your daughter will need to be there with you for the video call. It can be a long wait sometimes, but so worth it for the ease on your first day!
Thanks for the information. We will definitely try to get it online before going. Standing to long can cause her blood pressure to bottom and then she passes out. That then triggers seizures as well. If she starts getting anxious it can also trigger seizures. She also needs a ton of water a day so she needs frequent bathroom breaks BUT also can’t go to the bathroom alone due to safety issues. She could possibly use a wheelchair BUT she is against it (she is 17 and wants to be “normal”). So we told her we would try for the DAS pass this year. In our past trips to DL she didn’t have as many problems as she has now. But our trip this summer was miserable some days with as many breaks as she needed and having to get out of lines often.

Thank you everyone who suggested doing both genie+ and DAS. I was not able to do it before hand due to me working the 5 days before we left. However, since we were staying at the DLH I was able to sign up for it early the first morning with only 1 person in line. She said I have seizures they were like say no more. It’s been great being able to ensure she gets to do everything but still getting mid day naps, back in the late evenings for meds, and plenty of resting throughout the day as well while she waits for her ride time to come. Last time we were at Disney we had to cut most of her days short to having 1 of her seizure types so she is liking only having to leave by 10pm instead.

It seems to me that really understanding all the rules around DAS and Genie+ are overly complicated (along with the rules for DVC, reserving park days, reserving restaurants, early entry, extended hours, etc). Trying to learn all the new rules (that changed since the last time I was there) and coordinate days with the crowd calendars (which all say something different), flights, how to get where, and the timing of transportation just seems overly complicated and overwhelming. I've spent at least 20 hours a week for several months trying to plan a Disney trip that 'hopefully' won't disappoint me this time around.

I'm wondering if a vacation is worth this much work. After my last Disney trip in 2018, I was seriously thinking I might not ever return. But, I'm going to try again in Feb to celebrate two of my grandkid's birthdays (one is turning 7 & the other 6 while we are there). I'm REALLY hoping to find some 'magic' to Disney again before I give up forever. I still have one grandbaby that I'd like to take to Disney someday when he's old enough. I don't like taking kids under 6 years old, because I want them to be able to remember it well. And, I want them to walk on their own. I don't like strollers much and I'm getting too old to carry them around everywhere. :)

You get 2 pre arranged selections per day, not 3.

The selections you make while in the park aren’t every 2 hours. You make a selection, and can return any time at or after the app tells you. You cannot make another selection until you have used the first one (or canceled it).

OP, yes DAS is worth it because it will help with rides that don’t have Genie+, as well as the ILL$ rides.
so snow white can get a DAS? and its not tied to LL? ..so if no LL available for the day do they still give out DAS for this ride and then return thru the LL area when you its your time?

so snow white can get a DAS? and its not tied to LL? ..so if no LL available for the day do they still give out DAS for this ride and then return thru the LL area when you its your time?
Yes Snow White can get a DAS - we did not notice any ride that DAS was not available on. Even radiator racers has DAS and so you don’t have to pay the extra money for LL. If an LL has no return times left you can still use DAS as you will still be considered “in line”. DAS won’t get you into a ride any faster; if the current line is a 90minute wait then your DAS return time will be about 90 minutes away. It just allows you to take breaks and such instead of waiting in a line that someone may not be able to do. For rides that have a LL you return to the LL entry. Some rides you go to the exit and they will tell you where to go for entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter