IS DDP worth is if one of doesnt eat desserts?

tiggersam00

Dole Whip addict... and proud of it!
Ok, so my (totally weird) DF doesn't eat dessrts (I told you he was weird lol). I am looking into adding the DP to our reservation and wanted to know if your dessert was able to be swapped for an appitizer or something else at Table service restaurants?
Also are there any good options that aren't "desserts" like fruit or chips maybe?
TIA :)

Everywhere we went allowed a fruit salad as an alternate to dessert (TS and CS). I know it may not be advertised, but they allowed it. We didn't do it though, the desserts were too yummy. But we thought about it (that doesn't count though does it?)

At 1 CS, Earl of Sandwich did allow chips instead.

Unless I'm wrong - which has happened before, but only once before - the Deluxe Plan does not include desserts, only appetizers. Except for Signature Restaurants (which use 2 TS credits.)

Here's a link to a brochure describing the Deluxe Dining Plan.

This link is basic info about all the plans and has links to specific details about each plan.

Hope that helps.

And, yes, it's weird to not like dessert. But I'm sure he has other qualities that compensate for that weirdness. ;)

I have read that at CS they will let you swap fairly easily but it does not seem that they will at TS.

Honestly though in terms of TS, desserts aren't really that much more. It seems most desserts are in the $6-$7 range. So depending on your TS choices, you might already get your money's worth just by your entree, your drink choice and tax. And if you are doing some character dinners, dessert is a wash really b/c you don't HAVE to order anything.

Where are you thinking of eating?

Unless I'm wrong - which has happened before, but only once before - the Deluxe Plan does not include desserts, only appetizers. Except for Signature Restaurants (which use 2 TS credits.)

This link is basic info about all the plans and has links to specific details about each plan.

Hope that helps.

And, yes, it's weird to not like dessert. But I'm sure he has other qualities that compensate for that weirdness. ;)

The DxDP does include dessert. So you are wrong. Don't let it happen again. ;)

for some reason Yak and Yeti local foods would not allow the dessert/side trade which always seems odd when every dessert is priced higher than the sides.

None of the TS places would though. We didn't ask for fruit as a substitute so I can't say. I think it depends on where you eat and for what meal. Several times we did not finish the desserts (most often actually) and several times at least one of our party opted out. It still staved us $$ (and time, and worrying/planning/mentally adding).

:)

I have much weighed the pros and cons of the DDP and am constantly back and forth. Overall, it really depends on your style of eating and I'm in the same boat as you - my SO doesn't eat dessert (which can benefit me sometimes as I get two desserts when I can't decide which one I want :thumbsup2 ). In other cases, we'll get a cup of fruit or piece of fruit (aka a banana or apple) to go and eat it for breakfast or a snack.

The DDP can really save you money (even if you don't order the dessert) but you have to plan where you want to eat and be sure to make ADRs. We use the TS credits for dinner and try to go to places that only take 1 TS credit. For a "nice" dinner here and there, I usually look over the menu and debate whether what we want will really be worth the 2 TS credits. Sometimes I just want a lighter meal (a salad or appetizer only) at a signature restaurants and pay out of pocket for it.

My rationale is: the regular DDP is $40/day. My "lunch" or CS will probably be about $10-11 and a snack, no more than $4. That leaves just about $25 for a dinner entree (and a dessert if desired) to make it "worth" the cost, which can easily be achieved for dinner at most places (I usually only drink water or wine [so many joke possibilities here] and don't factor in a drink).

Plus, two bonuses to using the DDP is being able to use a snack credit for a bottle of water AND having less expense when we return because we've paid up front.

Hope that helps!

Desserts only make or break the plan if you are teetering on the edge of breaking even. Figure that they're 'worth' about $7 per day and as previous posters have pointed out - they generally have a fruit substitution at both CS and TS, so if your DF likes fruit he may be in luck.

Hope that helps.

The DxDDP includes Appetizer, Entree, Dessert and Non-Alcoholic Beverage

The DDP Includes Entree, Dessert and Non-Alcoholic Beverage

We also have a sticky thread here (at the top of the forum) that has links to all of the different DDP brochures, as well as a nice FAQ about the different plans. You can find that HERE

Everywhere we went allowed a fruit salad as an alternate to dessert (TS and CS). I know it may not be advertised, but they allowed it. We didn't do it though, the desserts were too yummy. But we thought about it (that doesn't count though does it?)

Note that fruit cup is a kid's menu dessert almost everywhere on plan -- they should let you order a dessert from the kid's menu, even as an adult.

Thank you everyone! Your advice has been great!

At 1 CS, Earl of Sandwich did allow chips instead.

1st of all that totally counts lol! Thats good to know about the fruit salad, I told DF and he thought that was great! And he loves Earl of Sandwich, it is his must do of every trip!:thumbsup2

Hope that helps.

Wow, your never wrong too! Neither am I lol:rotfl2: ! Thanks for the links, I just looked them aver and they look so yummy! I think we are doing the basic DP not the deluxe though... eithier way I'm hungry! And yes, he has other qualities (but no desserts is still bizarre to me even after 4 years) but actually the whole no dessrt thing helps me lose weight because we don't keep any in the house (if we did I would be the only one eating the whole box of cookies lol)!

I have read that at CS they will let you swap fairly easily but it does not seem that they will at TS.

Honestly though in terms of TS, desserts aren't really that much more. It seems most desserts are in the $6-$7 range. So depending on your TS choices, you might already get your money's worth just by your entree, your drink choice and tax. And if you are doing some character dinners, dessert is a wash really b/c you don't HAVE to order anything.

Where are you thinking of eating?

Thats very true, we are eating at Ohana for dinner, and Garden Grill for dinner so those 2 are all-you-can eat anyways. Then we are doing Le Celier (which I would not mind eating 2 desserts at lol) and Spoodles.

for some reason Yak and Yeti local foods would not allow the dessert/side trade which always seems odd when every dessert is priced higher than the sides.

None of the TS places would though. We didn't ask for fruit as a substitute so I can't say. I think it depends on where you eat and for what meal. Several times we did not finish the desserts (most often actually) and several times at least one of our party opted out. It still staved us $$ (and time, and worrying/planning/mentally adding).

I think the no worrying/planning is worth it enough for me. That is weird anbout Y&Y b/c I know they have pricy desserts anyways:confused3

I have much weighed the pros and cons of the DDP and am constantly back and forth. Overall, it really depends on your style of eating and I'm in the same boat as you - my SO doesn't eat dessert (which can benefit me sometimes as I get two desserts when I can't decide which one I want :thumbsup2 ). In other cases, we'll get a cup of fruit or piece of fruit (aka a banana or apple) to go and eat it for breakfast or a snack.

The DDP can really save you money (even if you don't order the dessert) but you have to plan where you want to eat and be sure to make ADRs. We use the TS credits for dinner and try to go to places that only take 1 TS credit. For a "nice" dinner here and there, I usually look over the menu and debate whether what we want will really be worth the 2 TS credits. Sometimes I just want a lighter meal (a salad or appetizer only) at a signature restaurants and pay out of pocket for it.

My rationale is: the regular DDP is $40/day. My "lunch" or CS will probably be about $10-11 and a snack, no more than $4. That leaves just about $25 for a dinner entree (and a dessert if desired) to make it "worth" the cost, which can easily be achieved for dinner at most places (I usually only drink water or wine [so many joke possibilities here] and don't factor in a drink).

Plus, two bonuses to using the DDP is being able to use a snack credit for a bottle of water AND having less expense when we return because we've paid up front.

Hope that helps!

Great advice thank you, what is up with these So's not eating dessert:confused3 , but your right more for us:rotfl2: !

Desserts only make or break the plan if you are teetering on the edge of breaking even. Figure that they're 'worth' about $7 per day and as previous posters have pointed out - they generally have a fruit substitution at both CS and TS, so if your DF likes fruit he may be in luck.

The DxDDP includes Appetizer, Entree, Dessert and Non-Alcoholic Beverage

The DDP Includes Entree, Dessert and Non-Alcoholic Beverage

We also have a sticky thread here (at the top of the forum) that has links to all of the different DDP brochures, as well as a nice FAQ about the different plans. You can find that HERE

I think DP is going to work out and the fruit is great b/c he would eat that every morning since he is not a huge breakfast person eithier. Thanks for the brochure links too, I printed them all out to show DF:thumbsup2

DH is diabetic and they allowed him to sub desert for coffee, not the best use of credits but better than wasting
Ceri x

Not sure about the whole switching or getting fruit, but I figured the cost of the basic plan for me without desert and with only eating 2 snacks over 7 days (I get 6 credits) and eating average cost meals (I won't want the most expensive thing every time), and I was at the break even point. So I am basically getting dessert at every meal and 4 snacks "free" PLUS I think that prices will be higher when we are there in the summer ("holiday" surcharges).

I used the menus on allears.net

DH is diabetic and they allowed him to sub desert for coffee, not the best use of credits but better than wasting
Ceri x

We used the DxDDP this past Sept. My mom is also a diabetic. Not a single TS allowed her to choose fruit as an option. We did not do any CS, so don't know about them.

However, several years ago we were doing the basic DDP. I was in line at Columbia Harbour House, while my mom went looking for a table. The lady in front of me ordered meals for her family and without even slowing down or asking, never even really looking at the CM, just said she wanted to substitute the grapes for the apple pie for the adults. The CM didn't even bat a lash, before saying that adults were not allowed to order the fruit and the only option for adults on the DDP was the apple pie. She got very irate, but he said he could do nothing about it. I think it was her attitude that did it though, because as she huffed up to the counter to get her order, I very nicely told him I had a problem, because my mom was a diabetic and couldn't eat the apple pie. I then pointed her out to him and told him I could go get her insulin, if that would make a difference. He just laughed, told me not to worry about it, turned from the register, and told the CM behind the counter to give me a bowl of grapes for one of our desserts. I guess it may depend on the CS CMs in certain situations.:confused3

I would assume that is because Yak and Yeti is not owned by Disney so they have a different system. But I could be wrong, I am a lot :goodvibes

I'm one of those weird people who doesn't eat dessert. What I did though was get my dessert to go. Once we got back to the room, I put it in the fridge and DH had it for a snack at some point. I tried to always get some type of easy dessert that could last a little while if we still had some park to go after dinner.

WOOOHOOOO!!! I was wrong again!!! :woohoo:

It's such a relief to realize that I'm still not perfect. Who knew?!?! :confused3

It's funny how excited I am to be wrong about this!!!

I'M GETTING DESSERTS! I'M GETTING DESSERTS! I'M GETTING DESSERTS!

:jumping1:

Thanks a bunch for setting me straight!

Y'all have fun - I'm going to...

And I'M GETTING DESSERTS!!!

party:

On another note, if he doesn't want dessert or the possible alternative, you might choose just to let it go without ordering it. You can look at this in two ways, you are loosing part of the dining option or you are saving a bit as the gratuity is not included in your dining plan unless you are a party of 6 or more or it is otherwise indicated so your overall total meal price will be smaller when it comes to calculating the tip. :)

Try to find a bright side, even a rather dim one. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter