• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney finally seeing consumers say they're pricing themselves out of peoples ability to pay?

I’m confused by your response to my post. Do you think it’s inconceivable that no one in my circle is a security guard or a secretary?? I clarified that I meant households. But, yes, most everyone I know personally is a dr, nurse, engineer, attorney or some other well paid professional.

I did not read your other post that said families. I also don't personally think of $150k/family as upper class but looking it up seems like $147k for a family of 4 is considered upper class.

So my thought was in the ballpark but I just didn't understand you correctly that you know people that make personally less than $150k/yr its the families you are talking about.

Dang, I need to go hang with you more often :upsidedow I'm slummin' it here appearantly with all the lessers I'm hanging with :p
Yeah not to burst any bubbles but the average household is about $59k in this country with Louisiana being below that at $47k. Only 15% or so make over $150k. So highly doubt OP only knows people making over $150k. As a household who makes well over that I can say it’s not rich, but pretending it’s the norm is just so far from true.

Yeah not to burst any bubbles but the average household is about $59k in this country with Louisiana being below that at $47k. Only 15% or so make over $150k. So highly doubt OP only knows people making over $150k. As a household who makes well over that I can say it’s not rich, but pretending it’s the norm is just so far from true.
Also, do you all know how much all of your friends and family make?🤔

Well that was my opinion to start. I will take a wild guess and say there is 10x the number of things for small kids at Disney than Universal.

Just as an example I went to Wiki to look at the list of attraction height restrictions they list 41 attractions (rides/shows) and 21 have height restrictions (no including the ones that just an adult has to ride with a child). Now add in things like Fear Factor, Jeopardy, and Blues Brothers and you are left with you have roughly 15 attractions for kids. Okay my 10x is a little high more like 5x likely at Disney.

When you are talking about a 7 day vacation how can I justify over half the attractions my kids are not able to ride. The whole day for the kid is going to be a very generic child swap area that looks like drunk holding area in some instances hahaha. Universal is a fun time but not until my kids are much older or hopefully Epic will include a TON more kids minded rides/areas.

I want Universal to at least be competitive for little kids but its night and day right now a short weekend stay vs a week long vacation worth of experiences from my view. I would gladly save money if it was an option I even looked at it before scheduling Disney this fall.

men-in-black-alien-attack-universal-studios-florida-370-oi1.jpg
I'm not debating number of attractions a child can go on. Your comment was about not being able to justify going with a young child. My parents could justify it and so will I though I'm just giving my opinions on that.

Then again we paid for me to go to Six Flags and I don't ride big big rides, I have zero problems going to my own local amusement park despite knowing I won't go on many rides, we pay for me to go to Universal knowing I don't do big rides like The Hulk nor can I handle too many simulators. The parks aren't about pure rides to me, a lot is ambience/atmosphere, enjoying being with the people I care about, seeing them happy and I still find enough to enjoy in terms of rides or shows.

I'm of the opinion that Universal doesn't have to be competitive to really little kids..in fact it's been their marketing ploy NOT to be. Remember those commercials about "when you're to grow up..come to Universal" (paraphrasing here).

I do understand wanting a bit more attractions with no height restrictions and can agree for an infant that would make it easier for a parent to take their child on rides, so long as they wanted to go on them as well. But on my previous research the lowest height restriction at Universal Orlando is 34inches which is just about the height of an average 2 year old. Next up is 36inches which is just below your average 3 year old. Next up is 40inches which is just above your average 4 year old. 40inches IMO is also like the benchmark at WDW for many people.

It's really no issue if for you're just not wanting to explore Universal as it presently stands and I can understand that..it's just not by virtue of having younger ones that you'll only want to go to WDW. Besides..it's a family vacation right? That means adults get to, so long as they are willing to, do things they would enjoy :)

Well does the PP know how much all those doctors, engineers, doctors, nurses, attorneys and all the other well paid professions? I'm sure there's a way to get an guestimate but not a true number unless you're point blank discussing finances with everyone you know.

The median income for a family in my county from the 2010 census was $90,380 with household being $73,333, I live in the most affluent county in the state. Now for sure I know people who I would assume make that $150K but I absolutely know many who make under that of varying ages and life situations.

Nope. And while I also am surrounded by lawyers, doctors, surgeons, and engineers in my neighborhood, I am also friends with a lot of teachers, nurses, firefighters/cops and know that there’s no way everyone I know makes that much.

I also live with an senior economist who studies labor. We are not, as a country, as well off as we seem.

Louisiana also has one of the biggest wealth gaps with many very poor who bring down the median. But, goodness, I clarified HOUSEHOLDS!

Well does the PP know how much all those doctors, engineers, doctors, nurses, attorneys and all the other well paid professions? I'm sure there's a way to get an guestimate but not a true number unless you're point blank discussing finances with everyone you know.
That’s exactly it. Of course, I don’t know 100%. But, in household with a nurse wife & an ophthalmologist husband, I think it’s safe to say it’s at least 150k. Not you, but, I don’t know why this part of the discussion has become such a big deal.

The median income for a family in my county from the 2010 census was $90,380 with household being $73,333, I live in the most affluent county in the state. Now for sure I know people who I would assume make that $150K but I absolutely know many who make under that of varying ages and life situations.
Yeah there’s a large mix no matter where you live. My city median income is $95,524 which is high comparatively, but also a mix of working folks and CEOs.

But if anyone I know tells me WDW is too rich for their blood, regardless of what they make, I totally believe/understand them!

Nope. And while I also am surrounded by lawyers, doctors, surgeons, and engineers in my neighborhood, I am also friends with a lot of teachers, nurses, firefighters/cops and know that there’s no way everyone I know makes that much.

I also live with an senior economist who studies labor. We are not, as a country, as well off as we seem.
Right, I am a social worker, but DH is an engineer. I have 2 teacher friends, but their husbands are a dr & a pilot. I do know a few younger ppl in the family who are just starting out who make less, but I said that earlier.

That’s exactly it. Of course, I don’t know 100%. But, in household with a nurse wife & an ophthalmologist husband, I think it’s safe to say it’s at least 150k. Not you, but, I don’t know why this part of the discussion has become such a big deal.
I think it more became the point when you said you don’t personally know anyone who makes below 150k. It probably strikes most people as :eek: to be associated with everyone around them making that much even as a household.

Maybe I was personally taken aback because I would count $150K as pretty darn well off even for a household rather than it being more 'meh that's not that much'

I think it more became the point when you said you don’t personally know anyone who makes below 150k. It probably strikes most people as :eek: to be associated with everyone around them making that much even as a household.

Maybe I was personally taken aback because I would count $150K as pretty darn well off even for a household rather than it being more 'meh that's not that much'
Gotcha. I know ppl casually like at work who likely make less as a household. But, not anyone who I would be close enough to to know their vacation habits and/or discuss them with them. That was the relevance in me saying that. And, I don’t disagree that it’s very comfortable, but it’s certainly not rich.

Gotcha. I know ppl casually like at work who likely make less as a household. But, not anyone who I would be close enough to to know their vacation habits and/or discuss them with them. That was the relevance in me saying that. And, I don’t disagree that it’s very comfortable, but it’s certainly not rich.

Rich is a relative term. Ask a family whose household income is $30,000 what they would think of a family making $150,000. To them, that is rich.

Alternatively, in a high cost of living place like San Francisco, $150,000 is, like, the bare minimum you need as a household just to live there. No one who only makes $150k in SF is "rich."

It's all relative.

Rich is a relative term. Ask a family whose household income is $30,000 what they would think of a family making $150,000. To them, that is rich.

Alternatively, in a high cost of living place like San Francisco, $150,000 is, like, the bare minimum you need as a household just to live there. No one who only makes $150k in SF is "rich."

It's all relative.
I agree. It only got brought up originally though b/c a pp made a comment that wdw only wants ppl who make $150k or more.

That said, the hotels are just getting too expensive to justify costs. Just the hotels for us, not the food, the parks, the parties, etc., the hotels are what makes me blink now at booking a trip.
To me, the park ticket price is what has ballooned. We’ve paid $175-215/night for a moderate for the last few years. Meanwhile, In 2017, we paid for APs for less than $800/pp. Since then, they’ve had price increases of $50, $70, $125! APs for about $3100/family of four vs $4800 now. Yikes!

To me, the park ticket price is what has ballooned. We’ve paid $175-215/night for a moderate for the last few years. Meanwhile, In 2017, we paid for APs for less than $800/pp. Since then, they’ve had price increases of $50, $70, $125! APs for about $3100/family of four vs $4800 now. Yikes!
Yes. I so agree. A family of four is going to see the bigger increase in tickets. And I still find values, moderates and even a few deluxe resorts on a good discount reasonably priced.

To me it reads that lower volume is being offset (some) by higher costs of tickets and food so the cost jumps will likely continue.
As multi time family visitors, as long as people continue to pay there is no reason for Disney to reduce pricing. I do feel though a great deal of families do one visit and done. Let’s face it when pizza for five is over $225 and a decent $120 room is $375, people tend to shy away.

^^ I agree, regardless of your income, if someplace you go on vacation is no longer the VALUE it used to be (or is overpriced compared to other vacation destinations), you tend to find other places to vacation. That is true regard of your income level. That was the original discussion on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter