Is Disney keeping up cleanliness and service standards on the ships?

brentm77

DIS Veteran
For those who have sailed recently, are cleanliness and service standards up to expectations for DCL? We have noticed such a huge drop in both at Disneyland, that I am wondering if I should expect the same for DCL.

Disneyland has slipped so much in these areas that we are planning a hiatus from the parks after one more trip to Disneyland and one more to WDW that were booked over a year ago. It isn't the only factor, but it is part of the bigger picture of feeling like we aren't getting a premium product for a premium price anymore. I think Disney has lost sight of the reason people will pay more for their products and thinks it can just phone it in now, at least at the parks. I just hope that the slip in standards at the parks doesn't start moving to the ships. Since our children are older, a huge appeal for us to sail Disney is how impeccably clean the ships are and how great the service is.

We were on the first sailing of the Dream in August. While I would usually say the ship is spotless and as clean as possible, I felt they out did themselves and it was cleaner than ever. I got to know the cleaning ladies in 1 bathroom as they were in there cleaning EVERY time I went in. :rotfl2:

Service was top notch as always. Everyone was so happy to be back, working, with guests on board.

The cleanliness was excellent on our 2 sailings (Dream and Fantasy). Service was very good to good, although I chalk that up to still trying to train new people. My only complaint was the constant reminding by dining room servers about the comment card. It was bad and irritating and did a lot to make going to dinner an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Our servers knew we were on our 21st and 22nd DCL cruises - clearly we understand about the survey. DCL has to get a handle on that.

For those who have sailed recently, are cleanliness and service standards up to expectations for DCL? We have noticed such a huge drop in both at Disneyland, that I am wondering if I should expect the same for DCL.

Disneyland has slipped so much in these areas that we are planning a hiatus from the parks after one more trip to Disneyland and one more to WDW that were booked over a year ago. It isn't the only factor, but it is part of the bigger picture of feeling like we aren't getting a premium product for a premium price anymore. I think Disney has lost sight of the reason people will pay more for their products and thinks it can just phone it in now, at least at the parks. I just hope that the slip in standards at the parks doesn't start moving to the ships. Since our children are older, a huge appeal for us to sail Disney is how impeccably clean the ships are and how great the service is.

Perhaps it’s a lack of employee issue and not just a choice they have made for the California parks. Also they might have to make a choice between gift shop help and street sweepers to cover costs of reduced crowds.
Many foreigners seek DLC employment as financially advantageous over their own countries job market, and every contract was able to start out fresh upon restarting.
But I’m just thinking out loud here. I’m just guessing really.

Cleanliness was outstanding on our cruise. Our stateroom host was amazing. The one area service was a little lacking was in the MDR, specifically with our assistant server. He was obviously new and inexperienced. I'd give him an A+ for effort, but he didn't quite have a handle on the menus or the flow of a meal that I'm used to experiencing.

Perhaps it’s a lack of employee issue and not just a choice they have made for the California parks. Also they might have to make a choice between gift shop help and street sweepers to cover costs of reduced crowds.

It's much more likely a lack of staff than it is a way to cope with reduced crowds. On my recent trip to WDW, I also noticed that it wasn't as clean as I remembered. Especially the restaurants and the hotel. That's not because of a lack of guests, though. Once October 1 came, that place was packed.

The cruise actually does have a lack of guests, but on my recent cruise, I had no complaints at all. The ship was spotless. Maybe they aren't as short on staff, or maybe it's easier to keep everything clean with fewer guests, or maybe DCL really just cares more about cleanliness than WDW/DL. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Cleanliness is more important on cruise ships where illnesses spread quickly. Plus, DCL is supposed to be a premium product.

It's much more likely a lack of staff than it is a way to cope with reduced crowds. On my recent trip to WDW, I also noticed that it wasn't as clean as I remembered. Especially the restaurants and the hotel. That's not because of a lack of guests, though. Once October 1 came, that place was packed.

The cruise actually does have a lack of guests, but on my recent cruise, I had no complaints at all. The ship was spotless. Maybe they aren't as short on staff, or maybe it's easier to keep everything clean with fewer guests, or maybe DCL really just cares more about cleanliness than WDW/DL. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Cleanliness is more important on cruise ships where illnesses spread quickly. Plus, DCL is supposed to be a premium product.

It's for sure a lack of staff causing cleanliness issues. Apparently an entire shift of janitorial work has been cut at Disneyland, resulting in more work for other shifts and not enough time to do all the work. But Disney needs to own that. They are the ones charging a premium and need to do whatever it takes to provide a premium experience. If that means paying significantly above market rate to attract more employees, that's what you do. If I am a manager, I am even out there busting my rear end if needed. Oddly, I noticed many cast members just standing around (not janitorial), apparently chatting it up, on my last visit. Often seeing groups of three or four. Maybe they are misallocating employees or not supervising well. The same goes for the growing experience with grumpy cast members - if you can't attract people who understand the Disney brand, you need to up your game on what you are offering to employees. But, since this is the cruise board, I will just leave it at that.

We are booked for March and June next year, and it sounds like we can expect the same level of quality as always on the ships, which is great.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, YES! Just off the Fantasy and felt it was the cleanest ship I have ever been on. That’s saying a lot bc I always feel as though cruise ships go above and beyond on cleanliness.

T My only complaint was the constant reminding by dining room servers about the comment card. It was bad and irritating and did a lot to make going to dinner an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Our servers knew we were on our 21st and 22nd DCL cruises - clearly we understand about the survey. DCL has to get a handle on that.

This may be the best quote I have seen in a year and half. We are back to complaining about the nightly reminder of the comment card, and don't mention that I told you about the comment card!!! All is right in the world again.

Sorry for the derail, carry on!! :)

This may be the best quote I have seen in a year and half. We are back to complaining about the nightly reminder of the comment card, and don't mention that I told you about the comment card!!! All is right in the world again.

Sorry for the derail, carry on!! :)
Baby steps 🤣

After 2 sailings since August, yes, the ships are being cleaned as well as they ever were.

As far as the comment card, I found that if you're up front, tell them that you know about the comment card and that you'll take care of them, they don't bring it up again.

My only complaint was the constant reminding by dining room servers about the comment card. It was bad and irritating and did a lot to make going to dinner an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Our servers knew we were on our 21st and 22nd DCL cruises - clearly we understand about the survey. DCL has to get a handle on that.
My remedy for that is to let them do their little spiel ONCE. Then I say "OK, you've told us about it. If I hear it again, it will seriously impact my comments at the end of the cruise (not to mention tips)." It's worked fine for us for years. Only once did I need to mention to the head server (after the third time getting the survey comment at dinner) my displeasure at hearing after asking them not to do it again. That worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter