Is Disney more likely to take a contract with extra points?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
We are deciding between a few contracts. One has 2018 points plus some 2017 banked. Not even sure if we would be able to use the 2017 points, but I think we could bank the 2018 points. Two of the other three contracts have 0 points for 2018, but have 2019. One contract has no points until 2020. Is Disney more likely to take a loaded contract or a stripped one? Or does it matter? We are tempted to go for the loaded one but not if Disney is more likely to take it.
Also, they are all over 300 points. Does Disney go for larger contracts? Are we better off buying 2 contracts that each have 150-200 points?

This question isn't about Disney buying the contract, but does anyone have any experience with one larger contract (300-400 points) at one resort verses 2 smaller contracts (each 150-200 points) at 2 different resorts? Is one preferable/easier? We do not have a preferred resort and like to bounce around. We have stayed at most of them as non dvc.

Last edited:
We are deciding between a few contracts. One has 2018 points plus some 2017 banked. Not even sure if we would be able to use the 2017 points, but I think we could bank the 2018 points. Two of the other three contracts have 0 points for 2018, but have 2019. One contract has no points until 2020. Is Disney more likely to take a loaded contract or a stripped one? Or does it matter? We are tempted to go for the loaded one but not if Disney is more likely to take it.
Also, they are all over 300 points. Does Disney go for larger contracts? Are we better off buying 2 contracts that each have 150-200 points?

This question isn't about Disney buying the contract, but does anyone have any experience with one larger contract (300-400 points) at one resort verses 2 smaller contracts (each 150-200 points) at 2 different resorts? Is one preferable/easier? We do not have a preferred resort and like to bounce around. We have stayed at most of them as non dvc.
There is no good rhyme or reason to which contracts they take. In general they're more likely to take the contract that's cheaper per point and smaller contracts. I'd just look at which contract fits your needs (size, UY, etc) and see what is the cheapest overall cost accounting for lost points at $13-15 per (including the dues you'd likely pay) for current points and little added for points you might not be able to use. Once you get up in the 350 to 400 range I'd look at 2 contracts, likely at 2 different home resorts same UY and title Remember you'll be paying dues on the points you don't have likely either way since the Jan dues will cover the remaining months of 2018 points due to the calendar basis for dues.

You can look at the ROFR thread -- I believe it goes back a number of years. I think what might affect take back is the price per point, if it is ridiculously low they will scoop up that deal. It might depend on what they have for a wait list and what they want to fulfill.

You can look at the ROFR thread -- I believe it goes back a number of years. I think what might affect take back is the price per point, if it is ridiculously low they will scoop up that deal. It might depend on what they have for a wait list and what they want to fulfill.
I did notice in those threads that they seem to take better deals. I did not notice if they targeted size of contract or if extra points play into the decision. It also seems that they target some resorts more than others. Nerve racking! We do not want to overbid but also do not want to waste time with Disney taking the contract.

I have never made an offer with consideration of ROFR. Try for the best, most fair agreement between both parties. And if Disney takes it, they take it. You lose nothing, except a few weeks of time. I would never offer more just to be less tempting for ROFR, because we have no idea what Disney is actually looking for at that moment.

I have never made an offer with consideration of ROFR. Try for the best, most fair agreement between both parties. And if Disney takes it, they take it. You lose nothing, except a few weeks of time. I would never offer more just to be less tempting for ROFR, because we have no idea what Disney is actually looking for at that moment.
Good point. I guess there is no way to know.

There's nothing published as to why DVC takes some contracts and passes others by. It seems obvious that "screaming good deals" will be taken, but not necessarily. DVC maintains an inventory of points as required by law. They also have an inventory of points that are in excess of this need, which they use to fill orders of wait lists. They have the right to slice and dice contracts, so they can take a 300 point contract and chop it up into 12 25 point contracts if they chose. The general wisdom is that they are looking for contracts at a given price at a given resort and use year to immediately flip because it matches someone on the wait list. It's also theorized that they also have a set price for each resort that will trigger a buy whether there is someone on the wait list for it or not. I suspect, as others do, that DVC is lately aggressively picking up OKW contracts in order to make more of the resort 2057 expiration, and they'll basically buy any OKW 2042 contract that falls below a specific price, whether there is someone on the wait list for it or not. While we fret over "loaded" and "not loaded", DVC has enough points that they'll take any contract that meets their criteria. It doesn't seem to greatly matter whether a contract is loaded or not in ROFR.

In your case, a 300 point contract means you'll be paying less per point than someone who buys a 100 point contract, but that won't necessarily trigger DVC to take the contract. Statistically, your contract will pass about 85% of the time. While it's heartbreaking when a contact is take in ROFR, there are always others. I suggest you make your best deal on your "Cinderella" contact, and hope for the best.

I think it depends on if they have a wait list for that UY and resort, if so and the price is right they will most likely exercise their ROFR.

There's nothing published as to why DVC takes some contracts and passes others by. It seems obvious that "screaming good deals" will be taken, but not necessarily. DVC maintains an inventory of points as required by law. They also have an inventory of points that are in excess of this need, which they use to fill orders of wait lists. They have the right to slice and dice contracts, so they can take a 300 point contract and chop it up into 12 25 point contracts if they chose. The general wisdom is that they are looking for contracts at a given price at a given resort and use year to immediately flip because it matches someone on the wait list. It's also theorized that they also have a set price for each resort that will trigger a buy whether there is someone on the wait list for it or not. I suspect, as others do, that DVC is lately aggressively picking up OKW contracts in order to make more of the resort 2057 expiration, and they'll basically buy any OKW 2042 contract that falls below a specific price, whether there is someone on the wait list for it or not. While we fret over "loaded" and "not loaded", DVC has enough points that they'll take any contract that meets their criteria. It doesn't seem to greatly matter whether a contract is loaded or not in ROFR.

In your case, a 300 point contract means you'll be paying less per point than someone who buys a 100 point contract, but that won't necessarily trigger DVC to take the contract. Statistically, your contract will pass about 85% of the time. While it's heartbreaking when a contact is take in ROFR, there are always others. I suggest you make your best deal on your "Cinderella" contact, and hope for the best.

So we went for the "Cinderella" contract. Love the way you put that. Waiting on ROFR but with a sense of forboding. Lol. Will post on the ROFR thread when we hear. Thanks to everyone for answering so many questions!

So we went for the "Cinderella" contract. Love the way you put that. Waiting on ROFR but with a sense of forboding. Lol. Will post on the ROFR thread when we hear. Thanks to everyone for answering so many questions!

Congrats and good luck!!! I remember checking my email a million times a day waiting for my first contract ROFR, but for the second and third I got the emails and was like 'huh, it's been a month already?' You did your job... now try not to think about it too much lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter