Is Disney Parks gonna retire character autographs?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I have been hearing from my dad that the main reason that the characters aren't giving autographs is not due to the pandemic but because Disney Parks are planning to retire character autographs and replace them with trading cards of the characters. From what I learned the cards are a baseball card styled card with the character picture with the autograph printed on it and character facts on the back. To me this seems like a smart idea but I know that people will miss getting real character autographs from the characters. Will this mean autograph books will become collector's items in the future?

No they aren’t retiring autographs, they are just going to charge 2.99 per character or you can by the unlimited premium autograph package for 49.99$ + tax.

So, that's sarcasm, just to be clear.

I actually don't hate the idea of the pre-signed cards. Walt used to carry around pre-signed cards to hand out so he wouldn't have to stop to give autographs for people. If you have watched Saving Mr. Banks he is depicting doing that at Disneyland.

Of course pre-signed is very different than mass printed in china. On the other hand, Walt Disney is very different than Winnie the Pooh. So, yea, makes since to me. Gold Foil limited edition runs with Minnie’s signature in Pink Glitter are going to be way more expensive than the Gold Sheen special edition Purple Glitter, so stay alert.

How much easier to get character replacement actors, if they no longer have to meet the requirement of signing properly? Removing that aspect means the actor just has to be able to lift the suit for Pooh Bear (for example).

In the before times they had already started giving out the cards at certain places, I think the restaurants but I'm not sure as we aren't character people.

They actually did do trading cards for several characters over different periods of time. While some parents might not have been happy - we just taped ours in the autograph book - it sure made the meet and greet stay on focus and moving better. If they want to spend the money on cards, and we don't buy the books I'm all onboard. Then Disney can just sell trading card books for them, bound to cost more of course. 💰

This would not surprise me at all and even though my kid loves the books - we are most happy to just get a nice photograph. At one time the photopass photos could have the character's signature put on it in the website so .... it would be another way to push photopass.

In the before times they had already started giving out the cards at certain places, I think the restaurants but I'm not sure as we aren't character people.

My brain says some who couldn't sign like Baymax. I think the Inside Out characters had cards, Wreck It Ralph ....

Character trading cards would be a wonderful alternative to autographs and Disney parks would even sell mini albums for kids to stick their trading cards they have collected in and it would be a huge hit with kids and families who don't want to waste time looking for their kids autograph books while waiting to meet characters. If they had Marvel character trading cards for the characters to hand out I would get the Star Lord card and the Hawkeye card for my mom. But have you noticed how expensive autograph books have become at the parks and how they look like a shopping list now? This would be a great idea if Disney Parks went for it

Character trading cards would be a wonderful alternative to autographs and Disney parks would even sell mini albums for kids to stick their trading cards they have collected in and it would be a huge hit with kids and families who don't want to waste time looking for their kids autograph books while waiting to meet characters.
1CABEB61-CD87-4834-B7B6-527C51CB91B4.gif

My kid really dug those cards for some reason. I hope they keep going with them.

I also, selfishly, enjoyed the character greets with the selfies and distanced photo ops with no autographs. It went SO MUCH FASTER. I appreciated that as a parent who does not enjoy standing in line while people pose endlessly with different groups. Full disclosure: My wife is very guilty of this.

I remember reading a while ago that they were making a few changes to autographs. First they would only sign autograph books, nothing else. No hats or shirts or even books other than the blank autograph books. I then heard they wanted to go to cards to both speed up the line and also make the character side of the interaction easier. No more having to learn the exact signature of your character and having to sign from inside the costume.

I'm not sure if either of these were ever implemented because I don't care about autographs and so far my son doesn't either but I remember seeing it reported at the time.

If there is money to be made with autograph books, they will never go away. I'd be curious to know how much money the autograph books generate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter