Is early entry worth it?

Just tried EE for the first time this month (while we were there for RunDisney) and I thought it was absolutely, totally worth it!!
I am not a morning person at all and EE was absolutely my favorite park experience. It was incredible how empty the parks were and how many rides we were able to do in that half hour!
In DL, EE was at 8:30 (park opened at 9am that morning), we were done with Peter Pan by 8:36! Then we did a couple more Fantasyland rides (3 rides in 15 minutes) then walked over to rope drop Toontown and walked right on Runaway Railway!

Just tried EE for the first time this month (while we were there for RunDisney) and I thought it was absolutely, totally worth it!!
I am not a morning person at all and EE was absolutely my favorite park experience. It was incredible how empty the parks were and how many rides we were able to do in that half hour!
In DL, EE was at 8:30 (park opened at 9am that morning), we were done with Peter Pan by 8:36! Then we did a couple more Fantasyland rides (3 rides in 15 minutes) then walked over to rope drop Toontown and walked right on Runaway Railway!
That's amazing! I love EE and will do it when I'm staying onsite next time. I do hope someday they make it a whole hour again, that would be even better.

We just stayed at the Disneyland Hotel this month and they advertised being able to send packages to the room. We asked about it since we weren't sure how it works and they explained it. So, we definitely got the message in multiple ways that it was available.
(We ended up not buying any merch in the parks, so didn't get to actually test it out.)
Wonderful news! Happy to be wrong!

I want to do EE but I get stressed really easily and I read they don't have a dedicated Hotel Guest entry gate so you just have to line up with everyone else. They don't open the gates til a bit before 7:30 so by the time you get through the gates a lot of your EE half hour is eaten into. This seems so stupid to me and would stress me out enormously as I know I would get stuck behind THAT family who has to ferret around for their tickets, then one doesn't work and you stand there and stand there checking your watch as your precious EE time slips away. No matter how early you get up you can't get access to the Esplanade until they open security so I am not sure I could stand all the stress of having to be there SUPER early to be at the front of the security line then full on dash to get to the front gate and try and be as close to the front of a gate as possible. I guess I will try it first day on our trip and see how hectic it is then decide if we should do it for our whole trip or not.
It's not that intense. This was October but we lined up at security at like 6:30ish (the DLH entrance) and they opened immediately at 7. We walked to the gates and got there right as the Harbor entrance was opening. We went to the right because EE entrance is in front of Plaza Inn. The front gates opened around 7:20 and we were still in quick enough that they held us at the EE entrance until 7:30. Unless you're at security after 7, there should be no reason why you're not at the front of the pack to get in the park. We did EE 2 of our 3 days (slept in the last one!). The first day we did Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and Space Mountain. On our way to Space Mountain we stopped for the PhotoPass in front of the castle and we have AMAZING pictures that have no one in the background. When we got off Space we were able to walk straight to Indy and be one of the first on. The 2nd day was rough for rides being closed so we only did the carousel and took pictures, but we were able to be the first in line for the boats and I was able to sign the book and open the ride for the day!

I don't think it's worth it to book a Disney hotel JUST for early entry. It's far too expensive for that. I DO think it's worth it to take advantage of EE if you're already going to be staying on property.

Not sure when your last trip was, but our last 2 stays onsite (most recent this October) there are no “magical extras” unless you booked a special package that included them, and you can not have things shipped back to your room yet. As PP has noted RSR is not open in EMH, and webslingers is on G+ (and has a single rider line, Jsyk)

Happy to be incorrect if someone has more recent on-site experience regarding packages, just don’t want people assuming this is the case.

OP - if you are coming from the east coast and/or are morning people Early entry can be great to either knock off a ride or two. I have a teenager so those early morning days are long behind me. ;)

Edited: typo, webslingers is on G+
Last trip was November 2022 but a look on the website shows they do still do the 'magical extras' pin/lanyard?

We did, back in November 2022, definitely have things shipped back to our room. It was actually the first week they'd resumed that service so it was a bit chaotic getting someone who knew it had started to actually find the paperwork and complete the process but I'm surprised that they re-started in November 2022 but have now stopped the service again?

RSR wasn't open in EMH however we did Webslingers and GOTG then headed directly to RSR. Got there at about 7:59, just ahead of rope drop, so were able to get immediately into the front of the line. IMO - it's an "EE" entry as you're at the RSR queue at least a couple of minutes before the rope drop hoards reach it.

As for Webslingers being on G+ and no longer ILL, fair enough. We won't be getting G+ and this time will most probably do Soaring first but for those who are heading to Avenger's Campus first it's still nice to get on Webslingers so quickly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 10.49.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 10.49.27 PM.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 9

I 100% think it's worth it. We hit up 6 rides the last time we stayed on property from 730 to 8. These were all in FL, since they are so short and were walk on it was possible. Our dates this year are right after a hotel discount ends and I just can't bring myself to pay the standard rates or we would be back on property. After this trip we are going to take a break until HM is not the holiday overlay and Tiana's ride is open. I will definitely be planning for a time when there is a discount so we can stay at the GC again.

I agree with the other poster who said it is stressful though. I wish there was a dedicated early entry line.

Our day yesterday:

Probably about the 300th people through the Early Morning entry area?

Snow White waited maybe 3 minutes
Pinocchio walked directly on
Alice waited maybe 5 minutes
Dumbo immediately put onto a number
<end EMM>
Walked directly onto carousel at like 8:03

Today
Waited in Paradise Pier line and entered DCA at 7:38
Walked directly onto Mater
Walked directly onto RSR which opened no later than 7:50 (people were getting off as we walked up so probably meaningfully earlier)

The reference to the Walt Disney Travel Company in your screenshot leads me to believe that you had booked a package deal (hotel/tickets), not just a reservation at a Disney hotel.
That is correct. I never book hotel/tickets separately because I see no advantage in our case. I like putting $200 down 10 or 11 months in advance and not having to pay the full until 30-days before. Being Canadian, there's no Costco-purchase advantage so, for us, it's always direct and package. Not being Annual Pass Holders also makes it a no-advantage option to book hotel/tickets separately.

The reference to the Walt Disney Travel Company in your screenshot leads me to believe that you had booked a package deal (hotel/tickets), not just a reservation at a Disney hotel.
That is correct. I never book hotel/tickets separately because I see no advantage in our case.
Some of the perks you mentioned are only available to people who have booked packages.

It was very much worth it for us in November of 2023. Coming from the east we didn't get up "early" as it was a regular wake up time. At DL we rode Pan, Alice, Dumbo, and Toad before 8 am, then was walked on Roger and Runaway Railroad before getting G+ for BMTR and Indy. By noon we had completed 11 rides Pirates, Mansion, Winnie) had pictures and autographs with Genie and Tiana, ate at Jolly Holiday and Tiana's Kitchen, and shopped in Adventure Land. In DCA we rode Webslingers and Guardian, got a breakfast to go from Pym's, and was in the que for Racers before 8 am. Then rode Toy story, Incredicoaster, Swings, Jellyfish, Inside Out, Little Mermaid, Soarin, and Turtle Crush, ate at Corn Dog and Clarabell's, by noon.

Visiting Disneyland half a day on Saturday and all day Sunday. Supposed to rain a bunch this coming weekend so I booked Grand Californian instead of an offsite hotel so we'll have a shorter walk if we want to retreat from the weather. What time should we plan on getting to the gate for early entry on Sunday morning to California Land? We don't need to be first one's in the park, but also figure we should take advantage of the opportunity.

Visiting Disneyland half a day on Saturday and all day Sunday. Supposed to rain a bunch this coming weekend so I booked Grand Californian instead of an offsite hotel so we'll have a shorter walk if we want to retreat from the weather. What time should we plan on getting to the gate for early entry on Sunday morning to California Land? We don't need to be first one's in the park, but also figure we should take advantage of the opportunity.
I would suggest getting in the Paradise Pier line (or is it the Pixar Place line now? Not sure if the name was tied to the land or the hotel) at 6:50ish. As always it’s entirely up to the habits of the guests who happen to be at the various hotels that day, but that’s my suggestion. If you’re going to get in the Grand Cal line I’d get in line earlier.

If it raining Sunday morning and you are not opposed to waking up early, I would suggest arriving at the dedicated GCH entrance to DTD between 6:15 and 6:30 AM. Being at or near the front of the security line might keep you out of the rain and give you a great start for rope drop. Getting through security at the DTD entrance first also puts you in a position to get a spot at the DL main gate with some shelter from the rain (you need to be first to one of the gates). We have used this strategy a few times on rainy trips. It’s an early morning but it’s nice to hit rope drop with relatively dry clothing. GCH works well as a base to dry out/change clothes on rainy days. Side note: we typically grab a light breakfast from the indoor location of GCH Craftsman Grill (fka Whitewater Snacks) which opens at 6:00 AM. Have a great trip

Last edited:
I would suggest getting in the Paradise Pier line (or is it the Pixar Place line now? Not sure if the name was tied to the land or the hotel) at 6:50ish. As always it’s entirely up to the habits of the guests who happen to be at the various hotels that day, but that’s my suggestion. If you’re going to get in the Grand Cal line I’d get in line earlier.
I concur. We were there this past weekend and totally bungled the Disneyland early entry from GC. I have never seen such a long security line - it wound deep into the courtyard and around in a loop back past there the security point is, and took about 25 minutes to get through which ate up our EE time. We got in line about 7:10 and did not arrive at the tomorrowland checkpoint until 7:55. Just long enough to beat the runners to an already long Pan line. >_<

We really needed the sleep from the night before, so it was what it was... We saw a secondary security point setup in the corner of the courtyard with metal detectors and such but it was not being used.

I concur. We were there this past weekend and totally bungled the Disneyland early entry from GC. I have never seen such a long security line - it wound deep into the courtyard and around in a loop back past there the security point is, and took about 25 minutes to get through which ate up our EE time. We got in line about 7:10 and did not arrive at the tomorrowland checkpoint until 7:55. Just long enough to beat the runners to an already long Pan line. >_<

We really needed the sleep from the night before, so it was what it was... We saw a secondary security point setup in the corner of the courtyard with metal detectors and such but it was not being used.
That second line is for people without bags and there is no wait. We were in your position once and I ran back to the room and dropped off the bags while everyone else went ahead and then I caught up. The rest of the trip we didn’t take bags in the morning and used that security line. It was great.

That second line is for people without bags and there is no wait. We were in your position once and I ran back to the room and dropped off the bags while everyone else went ahead and then I caught up. The rest of the trip we didn’t take bags in the morning and used that security line. It was great.
I was there this past Saturday morning as well (a little earlier than Aquadame) and that other checkpoint just wasn’t being used at all. There were no employees there and the gate behind it was closed.

One tip to try with a late start is the new Paradise Pier entrance. Last year we got down later than we liked and were still near the front of the line for rope drop at 7:30 EE. It is farther away, but something to consider.

EDITED TO ADD: Just realized the discussion was about Disneyland, not DCA! My apologies. There is no shortcut for Disneyland security from the Grand at EE!

I was there this past Saturday morning as well (a little earlier than Aquadame) and that other checkpoint just wasn’t being used at all. There were no employees there and the gate behind it was closed.
Exactly how it was for us too. I didn’t have a bag and we would have happily left my husbands for the morning to use it had it been open!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter