Is Ebay safe to rent DVC points from?

Im so confused by all this, At what point would disney cancel the reservation? When you are actually standing there trying to check in? So, for arguments sake, if Jane Doe had a week booked at OKW through RCI, and had an emergency and couldn't go, she couldn't try to sell it on ebay? What if she wanted to transfer that week to her co-worker Sally Smith? Can that be done without the chance of Sally being rejected at the desk?
She could give it away, but it is against policy to receive compensation for an exchange. Regardless, the RCI member has to purchase a "guest certificate," and Disney is known to question the people with guest certificates to determine if they purchased the exchange from someone else. If so, they will cancel the reservation on the spot. You can read the horror stories at redweek.com.

She could give it away, but it is against policy to receive compensation for an exchange. Regardless, the RCI member has to purchase a "guest certificate," and Disney is known to question the people with guest certificates to determine if they purchased the exchange from someone else. If so, they will cancel the reservation on the spot. You can read the horror stories at redweek.com.
I guess it makes sense, I just have a hard time believing that disney would just say too bad to a guest and cancel them. Do they really turn people away? That's not very magical lol

I guess it makes sense, I just have a hard time believing that disney would just say too bad to a guest and cancel them. Do they really turn people away? That's not very magical lol

Disney has a contract with RCI that determines the terms. Law will override magic every single time. One of them is fantasy, the other comes with real life penalties, like having your association with RCI dropped.

Like I said, it all makes sense. I would just feel bad for the people renting if they didn't realize what was going on.

I believe that ebay, redweek and the other sites should have to list that they are RCI re-rentals. The average person wouldn't even know that anyone other than DVC members can rent out these villas. It wasn't until I posted here and then started searching the internet that I learned about timeshare exchanges and how you could easily get to the resort with no reservation. It's kinda deceptive on the part of the exchange renters.

Like I said, it all makes sense. I would just feel bad for the people renting if they didn't realize what was going on.

I do as well, but it isn't Disney's responsibility because the people in the transaction didn't do their homework.

I also just found out about RCI but for a different reason. Since, GCV is unavailable (Go Figure) at the 7 month window, it was suggested that I use my DVC points to stay at Paradise Pier through RCI. It's only 27 points per night which isn't that bad and there is no $95 fee in this case. Prior to that call and this thread, I thought the only way you stayed at DVC properties was either being an owner or renting points from an owner… Or handing Disney a gold brick for a reservation.

I also just found out about RCI but for a different reason. Since, GCV is unavailable (Go Figure) at the 7 month window, it was suggested that I use my DVC points to stay at Paradise Pier through RCI. It's only 27 points per night which isn't that bad and there is no $95 fee in this case. Prior to that call and this thread, I thought the only way you stayed at DVC properties was either being an owner or renting points from an owner… Or handing Disney a gold brick for a reservation.

Using DVC points at Paradise Pier is not connected to RCI at all. Those rooms are booked via Member Services through the Disney Collection resorts. Yes, there is no $95 fee but if that reservation is canceled for any reason they remain reservation points and can no longer be used to book DVC rooms. The only bookable Disney resort in the Anaheim area using an RCI exchange is the Grand Californian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter