Is Flight of Passage really worth the wait?

When I look at the YouTube videos of it, it seems kinda neat. I think it is in 3D right? Or some kind of VR? Is it one of your must-do's? I wonder if the hour + wait time is worth it since there are no fastpasses right now. Do you always go there first thing in the morning?
I will not wait over an hour for it, but I will say that we have found the estimated time on that ride can be wildly high or low. By that we have gotten in line with a 75 minute wait, and made it almost the lab before hitting the end of the line, but we've also entered with sub 1-hour times and spent almost 2 hours in line.

When I took my granddaughter for the first time, we had just completed a 4 park/one day and got in line at closing. She was 10. We were hot and exhausted, but she wanted to do it. She dozed and walked through the entire 75 minutes we were in line. After we got off, she declared, "That was worth EVERY MINUTE!" My vote is yes, at least once.

May be the only ride worth the wait.

Rise of Resistance has it's own craziness.
Totally agree. Notwithstanding the motion sickness issue (my wife, very sensitive to such issues, rode once, never again)….for us this is hands down the best attraction in all of WDW/Disneyland. We love the overall experience that is Rise of the Resistance (but you can’t wait on that line anyway)….but the pure visceral experience of FoP is unrivaled in all of WDW/Disneyland.

Like Soarin’? From our perspective, not even close. As my kids would say, it’s Giga-Soarin’, combined with Giga-Star Tours. Soarin’, frankly, as good as it is, is kind of lame in comparison, if you ask me.

Now, is it worth a 180 minute wait? IMHO no ride is worth that wait. We’ve happily waited 80 minutes, and that was arriving at the park 20 minutes before stated opening. One way or another, an min 80 minute wait seems unavoidable. Get there an hour before opening (there’s 60 minutes) and “wait” 20….our show up closer to opening and “wait” 80. Six of one, half a dozen of another. However, this has to be a “rope drop” ride, or go closer to closing when/if the line dies down. It’s worth investing 90 minutes of your time, especially if you’ve never ridden. For us it’s even worth the occasional 80 minute repeat.

My wife and I want to do a morning at AK, but just want to rope drop FOP, then run to Navi River, then go to Dinosaur and Everest single rider, then done. Can that all be done in a couple hours you think?

I've done it on every AK visit, Safari too. Just make sure you're at the front of the pack at rope drop.

When I look at the YouTube videos of it, it seems kinda neat. I think it is in 3D right? Or some kind of VR? Is it one of your must-do's? I wonder if the hour + wait time is worth it since there are no fastpasses right now. Do you always go there first thing in the morning?
IMO no ride is worth "hour+ wait". I do love the ride and, if we can catch something 30 minutes and under we will wait for it. I am prone to motion sickness but I just don't look down. The stand by line is full of neat little features.

I got tremendously sick to my stomach on this ride. I barfed afterwards. Obviously, it's not for me. And given the wait times are so long and the attraction is in such high demand, I'm feeling strangely fine. My DW and DD also got sick from the attraction.

My DS, however, loves this attraction. Unfortunately, he loses on votes. :)

Another "yes" vote here. It's worth waiting in line for even more than an hour if you've never ridden it before and especially if you've never ridden it before and you have only this one park day at DAK. It's an amazing ride, my all-time favorite, and it just gets better every subsequent time.

As far as motion sickness goes, it really depends on the person. FoP doesn't bother me at all. I don't do spinning or upside down--those things bother me, and FoP does neither of those. But I'd never go on M:S again. Ever.

I wouldn't wait during the day or at rope drop...I head right for Everest and do that a few times with no wait. My strategy for FOP is to jump in line right before park close so I get to ride it. Might as well wait in line then when everything else is closed versus waiting a couple hours during the day when I can be doing other things.

I wouldn't wait during the day or at rope drop...I head right for Everest and do that a few times with no wait. My strategy for FOP is to jump in line right before park close so I get to ride it. Might as well wait in line then when everything else is closed versus waiting a couple hours during the day when I can be doing other things.
Good strategy, if you know you will be there at closing.

I’m not going to say they exist….and a lot has changed….but when parks like MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom first opened some people discussed them in the context of “half day parks”. Let’s just say they may not have been equivalent to MK/Epcot. Anywho, where I was going with that is…..we always seem to clear out of AK long before closing, so the end of day strategy isn’t necessarily one for us.

My husband’s favorite WDW ride. He has issues with terrible motion sickness everywhere but for some reason, this one doesn’t bother him. He says because there is so much to look at (???). My motion issues aren’t as bad as his, but this ride bothers me. So I sit on the contraption and close my eyes when it starts to bother me. I open them up when it stops moving and at the very end. We have waited in very long lines and short lines, I wish I knew the secret.

Without a doubt… YES!!! Although pre-closure I always had a fast pass, I’ve waited in the 90 minute line a few times since and it’s well worth it. I’m also in the minority that would choose FOP over ROTR every time!

Get in line for FOP just before park closing. At rope drop, I would do Na'vi River, then head to Kilimanjaro Safaris. Other rides will have short waits at that hour too.

If your plan is to do Na'vi River at rope drop, I don't think it's necessary to get to the park an hour before park opening. (because most of the rope drop crowd will head straight for FOP). At least, it wasn't necessary before the pandemic. If that situation has changed, I'm sure someone can correct me.

And yes, this ride is an absolute must. One of the most amazing experiences in all of WDW.

My 14 yo wears glasses and he had an issue with the goggles and his glasses "cooperating" and said he didn't really get the full visual effects. So he was very disappointed. I wear glasses and didn't have any problems and I loved it. We waited over an hour last October and it was worth the wait for the first time. Not sure how long I would wait again.

Good strategy, if you know you will be there at closing.

I’m not going to say they exist….and a lot has changed….but when parks like MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom first opened some people discussed them in the context of “half day parks”. Let’s just say they may not have been equivalent to MK/Epcot. Anywho, where I was going with that is…..we always seem to clear out of AK long before closing, so the end of day strategy isn’t necessarily one for us.
That's cool, whatever works for you. We love Pandora at night and at least one AK day of our trip we close the park down.

In March we went straight to Pandora (got to the park about 30ish minutes before the posted opening time). Navi was posted as a walk-on so we went there first. After that we went straight to FOP and waited probably 25ish minutes there. Totally worth it.

I just looked at the time stamp on my pictures:
7:35 am- walking across the bridge towards the Tree of Life
7:47 am- last photo I took on Navi River Journey
8:14 am- passed by the floating avatar body in the FOP queue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter