Is Flying Fish okay for Picky Eaters?

Ismo

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to pick a restaurant in Boardwalk area and I'm torn between Flying Fish & the Yachtsman. Overall, I think FF will be better for both of us (I don't eat meat, I eat fish but I'm allergic to shellfish, and my husband loves steak but is a picky eater and has some health issues).

I know Disney is great for accommodating diets. But is FF the type of place that you kind of feel uncomfortable asking for alterations? I think my husband would be happy with a steak, mashed potatoes, and lobster, but that's about it. He won't want any sauces or veggies. But I don't know want to put him in the position where he'll feel uncomfortable asking for that either.

Thoughts? And thank you!

You will love FF! If your husband likes steak and potatoes I highly recommend the char-crusted new york strip.

Thank you! I think the Strip is his fave cut, so that sounds pretty good!

I really enjoy both restaurants and think both are great in terms of accommodating special requests. The only caveat I'd give you is that I don't see mashed potatoes on Flying Fish's menu. They do a gratin and I know the snapper dish uses potato scales, but I wouldn't count on them being able to make a special batch of mashed potatoes. They totally might -- I just wouldn't count on it. I say that as a potato lover who has absolutely chosen a restaurant based on side dishes, so no judgment here. 🥔 Yachtsman does have both a mashed and loaded baked potato on the menu as extra charge sides

Honestly, I think you will have better luck at Yachtsman - the menu is already set up to accommodate a request for a plain steak and mashed potatoes (I'm not sure what they would do with the lobster on the menu). While lobster is on the FF menu, and I'm sure they would do their best to accommodate, it really sounds like a traditional steakhouse (like Yachtsman) would be better able to make adjustments for a steak without sauces or a lot of accompaniments.

We eat at the Flying Fish at least once a trip. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy! He gets the strip steak all the time with no sauce, changes up the potatoes and the veggies. I get the salmon with the filet sides. They have no issues at all accommodating any changes at all. Yachtsman used to be our go to restaurant, but now find the Flying Fish so much better for both of us.

I am very much a steak and potatoes guy, with no frills. We had both Yachtsmen and Flying Fish this spring, and I much preferred the Yachtsmen. I thought FF was ok, but I am not sure I will go back. The rolls at Yachtsmen are what really give it the edge for me.

I really enjoy both restaurants and think both are great in terms of accommodating special requests. The only caveat I'd give you is that I don't see mashed potatoes on Flying Fish's menu. They do a gratin and I know the snapper dish uses potato scales, but I wouldn't count on them being able to make a special batch of mashed potatoes. They totally might -- I just wouldn't count on it. I say that as a potato lover who has absolutely chosen a restaurant based on side dishes, so no judgment here. 🥔 Yachtsman does have both a mashed and loaded baked potato on the menu as extra charge sides

Honestly, I think you will have better luck at Yachtsman - the menu is already set up to accommodate a request for a plain steak and mashed potatoes (I'm not sure what they would do with the lobster on the menu). While lobster is on the FF menu, and I'm sure they would do their best to accommodate, it really sounds like a traditional steakhouse (like Yachtsman) would be better able to make adjustments for a steak without sauces or a lot of accompaniments.

We eat at the Flying Fish at least once a trip. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy! He gets the strip steak all the time with no sauce, changes up the potatoes and the veggies. I get the salmon with the filet sides. They have no issues at all accommodating any changes at all. Yachtsman used to be our go to restaurant, but now find the Flying Fish so much better for both of us.

I am very much a steak and potatoes guy, with no frills. We had both Yachtsmen and Flying Fish this spring, and I much preferred the Yachtsmen. I thought FF was ok, but I am not sure I will go back. The rolls at Yachtsmen are what really give it the edge for me.

Thank you everyone so much for your feedback & experience! This is very helpful and I really appreciate it! It sounds like Yachtsman might be the better option for my husband and that I need to find time to squeeze in Flying Fish solo 😂

Again, thank you. This was a huge help!

You know your 'Picky Eater". Is there something on the menu that they will eat? If not, then its not a good choice.
They are VERY open to modify options if needed. Still one of our favorite restaurants at WDW.

They will modify things, but FF menu can be quite limiting in some ways. We still love it and have been several times. We have yet to eat at Yachtsman, so I can't speak to that menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter