Is Food and Wine ruining Epcot for families?

I just recently went to F&W festival. Yes you can still go and it can still maintain a family friendly experience. I attended on a Friday afternoon and night. If you want to attend F&W on a weekend do it but go to the Festival early as soon as WS opens, thus avoiding the rowdier elements.

I think that drunken behaviors happens at random times. I only saw a few people who were a little too loud, which didn't bother me at all. My family who went last year saw guest overindulging to a larger extent. I am of the opinion that if you want to drink that's fine you're an adult it's your vacation. As long as you are considerate of others, its their vacation too.:thumbsup2

No I don't agree.
Disney is not just about families with young children. It is about families, honeymooners, grandparents, singles, empty nesters - you get the picture.
Why did you choose to go to Epcot on a Saturday night of Food & Wine when it has been widely reported to be unpleasant for young families?
I do think there needs to be an attempt made to tone down the big groups of locals who come in on weekends with the express intent of drinking to excess. How to do that is beyond me.
But other than on known Saturday nights, it is a pleasant experience for all.

I quite agree. Disney is not just for families with young children. It's for everyone. Food and Wine is a wonderful event. Do I wish that people didn't get intoxicated and behave badly sometimes? Sure. Do I wish that people wouldn't smoke at Disney World? Of course. Do I wish that kids didn't misbehave and scream and have fits all over Disney World? Don't we all? But that isn't a reality. People are people. They do what they do. We need to learn to navigate the world, even Disney World, dealing with people who don't do exactly what we would do ourselves.

On the plus side, if I don't like the way people behave at Epcot during food and wine, there is Future World and three other parks and two water parks to visit instead. Yay for choices!!:thumbsup2

Last year, I was really disappointed in some of the behavior I saw at Epcot, and my husband and I decided to leave early because we really didn't want our kids to see what we were seeing. It felt really, really un-family friendly.

This year, we were prepared to leave early and planned to leave the park as soon as the atmosphere "turned" like it had the year before. However, we really didn't have the same experience as we had the year before and ended up leaving because we were tired not because of the way anyone was acting. So I think it totally varies by night, and probably even by where you are in the rotation around the WS.

I think just like with any parenting issue, you have to pay some attention to your surrounding and be willing to leave if something happens that you're uncomfortable with. I don't think Disney should do a blanket rule for many reasons, one of them being that I think it will encourage more bad behavior if people know they're in an "adults-only" environment by rule.

I've seen a number of loud, obnoxious people at F&W. I've come to the conclusion the vast majority of them are not drunk - they are just normally loud and obnoxious people. The trailer trash really can't afford to get drunk at the F&W because it's too expensive! The reality is, the more people you are around, the more obnoxious ones you will see. Given the crowds, especially on Saturday night, that might be your night to go to the MK.

The majority of the time it's perfect for families. Kids have a wonderful time in Epcot!

As long as you stay away from Friday and Saturday nights, it's no problem.
If not, you will be in the middle of a drunken frat party, vomit, screaming and yelling and an overall disgusting experience.

Maybe you need to 'reread' the post you quoted. I didn't mention an age. The 'point' I was trying to make was that this IS a family park and not a (weekends especially) bar. Children are 'not' admitted to bars.

So? Sort of my point!

I read your post and you didn't answer my question. Let me try it this way:

Are you saying that during these times it should be adults only (21 and over because I think that is the legal drinking age in Florida)? or are you saying there shouldn't be alcohol at all?

There are many places that allow drinking when minors are present, arenas, stadiums, some theaters, restaurants and even some pubs. As for it being a family park, families come in all ages.

I'd love to know if others agree that the atmosphere at Epcot when F&W is on, isn't always kid friendly ?

if you do not like the atmosphere, then don't go. there are three other parks( three and a half, technically) you can avail yourself of. but to imply that EPCOT.. or even Disney itself is ONLY for 'kids'( by which I assume you mean those below a certain age) is complete BS.

in fact the entire premise of EPCOT was to give the adults a fun place to hang out when they got tired of Dumbo rides ad infinitum.

do I go to F&W? not really, and when I do it is during the week not on weekends as even I, a 40 something adult does not want to be surrounded by drunk locals. do I go to EPCOT?! damn skippy I do. but EPCOT is not just F&W booths and drunken louts. and it does not take much to avoid them. even on weekends.

I'd love to know if others agree that the atmosphere at Epcot when F&W is on, isn't always kid friendly ? Last evening while walking around the countries I encountered an unbelievable amount of intoxicated and less than kid friendly behavior. Is this really good PR for Disney to show off to families with children?? Should world showcase be deemed adult only after a certain time of day while F&W is on? Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

A couples months ago, we went to the movies with our elementary age kids on a Friday night. There were teenagers in the theater acting like teenagers will sometimes act when they are in a group of peers without supervision. Afterwards, we went to sweet frog and encountered another group of teens stealing frozen yogurt. DH called them out! I was really shocked at the number of people who just watch inappropriate behavior or illegal behavior and turn away! I will never go to that movie theater on a Friday night again!

My point is, you have the choice to learn from this experience and not return again on a weekend during F and W. I think I wouldn't go back if I was as bothered by the atmosphere as you were! But if really inappropriate behavior was going on, I would say something to a cast member.

On a side note, I heard that the cops are lined up waiting for drunk drivers outside epcot. Not sure if that is true or not, but I hope so!

I read your post and you didn't answer my question. Let me try it this way: Are you saying that during these times it should be adults only (21 and over because I think that is the legal drinking age in Florida)? or are you saying there shouldn't be alcohol at all? There are many places that allow drinking when minors are present, arenas, stadiums, some theaters, restaurants and even some pubs. As for it being a family park, families come in all ages.

Again, do your kids enjoy going around the WS, tasting food at the food booths with the wine pairings?

Maybe parents want to enjoy doing that, but I bet if you asked kids, they'd say, take me to Test Track or something else more "kid friendly" Who are we kidding here? Is it for the parents or the kids?

Maybe parents want to enjoy doing that, but I bet if you asked kids, they'd say, take me to Test Track or something else more "kid friendly" Who are we kidding here? Is it for the parents or the kids?

It depends on whose kids you ask. The absolute #1 favourite place to be in all of Disney for my kids is World Showcase. My son is a very adventurous eater who would love to taste his way around the world.

if you do not like the atmosphere, then don't go. there are three other parks( three and a half, technically) you can avail yourself of. but to imply that EPCOT.. or even Disney itself is ONLY for 'kids'( by which I assume you mean those below a certain age) is complete BS. in fact the entire premise of EPCOT was to give the adults a fun place to hang out when they got tired of Dumbo rides ad infinitum. do I go to F&W? not really, and when I do it is during the week not on weekends as even I, a 40 something adult does not want to be surrounded by drunk locals. do I go to EPCOT?! damn skippy I do. but EPCOT is not just F&W booths and drunken louts. and it does not take much to avoid them. even on weekends.

I love Disney's atmosphere at Epcot. Not the drunken idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Again, do your kids enjoy going around the WS, tasting food at the food booths with the wine pairings?

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at Disney. We had a blast at F&W. And, guess what? We never drank a single "adult beverage". So, yes, you can have a great time and not drink a drop.

Were there some drunk and obnoxious people? Yes. But they were the drastic minority. For every drunk person I saw about 500 who were normally composed. Although we did stay away from F&W on the weekends for our own sanity.

I don't think F&W should go away, nor do I think it should become adult only. I think that parents just need to be on the front line of parenting and make a judgement call. If things are getting out of hand, leave WS and go ride Nemo. Heck, that's the same thing I do with myself. If people make me uncomfortable, I remove myself from the situation and find something more enjoyable.

There's something in Disney for every person to enjoy.

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at Disney. We had a blast at F&W. And, guess what? We never drank a single "adult beverage". So, yes, you can have a great time and not drink a drop. Were there some drunk and obnoxious people? Yes. But they were the drastic minority. For every drunk person I saw about 500 who were normally composed. Although we did stay away from F&W on the weekends for our own sanity. I don't think F&W should go away, nor do I think it should become adult only. I think that parents just need to be on the front line of parenting and make a judgement call. If things are getting out of hand, leave WS and go ride Nemo. Heck, that's the same thing I do with myself. If people make me uncomfortable, I remove myself from the situation and find something more enjoyable. There's something in Disney for every person to enjoy.

So when the crowd gets rowdy and drunk,... They have first rights to WS, and parents who don't want there kids exposed to that should leave. Got it

We just got back from a week at disneyworld. We stayed at the yacht club so pretty much every night we went to a different restaurant in world showcase for dinner and walked the world showcase afterwards. We did not see anyone overly intoxicated or making a scene cuz they drank too much. If you are worried about exposing your children to people drinking then do not go to epcot during the food and wine festival. If you decide to go then maybe go earlier in the day or during the week when there are less people around. The bottom line is disney makes a ton of $ from food and wine festival and they def wont be stopping it because it isnt "kid friendly"

Over the last 10-15 years I probably have spent well over 100 nights in Epcot for F&W and in all those visits the amount of over the top drunk people I've seen has been so negligible compared to the amount of happy people enjoying the festival it's not even worth worrying about it.I think the subject of drunk people in Epcot for F&W is overblown.If you're worried about possibly seeing someone drunk,go on a weekday at opening.

We also have been to F & W many, many times and never encountered this activity. I think it is way overblown.

I think a big problem with this conversation is that it is a self fulfilling prophecy- if you go in looking for people acting inappropriate you will find them- if you go in expecting things to not be as bad that's what you'll think

People also have different opinions of what is "crazy" and what is "acceptable"

We love Epcot- sometimes I joke to my friends that world showcase is just a giant bar with he worlds most expensive cover charge. I've drank around the world multiple times and love running into other people Doing the same- I mostly find them to be friendly and well behaved. I've never once witnessed anyone throwing up in bushes (maybe bathrooms but I don't find that unacceptable...) or peeing in bushes.

We will be at food and wine next weekend for the half marathon and are looking forward to enjoying quite a few adult beverages at the after party and the following Sunday and Monday- I will be on the lookout for these college hooligans that people are speaking of... Regardless I would never let a few crazies ruin my vacation- people are idiots and you will surely find some idiots at any vacation location irregardless of alcohol- I generally find rude tired sober "adults" much more annoying than drunk college students anyway...

So when the crowd gets rowdy and drunk,... They have first rights to WS, and parents who don't want there kids exposed to that should leave. Got it

What do you expect Disney to do? Just curious.

Just came home from Halloween trip. And while yes, I did happen upon a few rowdy groups of drinkers, it wasn't the 'end of the world.' It's food & wine, go in knowing to expect that you're going to get locals and college kids, etc.

As Plano mentioned, there's not much Disney can do about it unless they start patrolling the showcase and asking people to leave. I have yet to see anyone that out of control where it had to happen.

Although there were some really drunk guys in England shouting Shakespeare at one another the other night, everyone survived without incident.

So when children see drunk teens/young adults doing sexually provocative things to one another, it's ok?

Teens and young adults grope each other everywhere, not just at WDW.

I don't mean to be a jerk....but yeah, kinda. I am a full grown adult and I often don't really care to be around large crowds of intoxicated people (I've done that enough in my life) so I wouldn't actively go anywhere that I know I'm going to run into that atmosphere - be it a music festival or Food and Wine. I certainly *can* be at WS during the "rowdier" times of food and wine, but I'm not sure it's the best place for me given my level of comfort. I would certainly never expect the large numbers of people who like to eat and drink and maybe get a little loose to change just because I happen to be uncomfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter