• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is GCH Worth it?

Ldat7

Earning My Ears
So I have the option between a DLH stay in early May or GCH. GCH is about $100 more a night...pretty significant. I will be with my Mom who is in her early 60s, but fairly active. I am wondering if the walk through DtD will be rough, especially at night, or if its congested. So that being said, is GCH worth spending a bit more than DLH? I am not 100% sure if the room renos will be done by early May either, if anyone can also offer input on that.

Thanks all!

For how many nights and which on site hotels have you stayed at before? If you're talking about $1000 vs. $800 and you've never stayed at GCH, I'd probably do that.

FWIW, I stayed a GCH once. Is it nice? Sure. But not nice enough to justify the price (unless you're rich and don't care -- I'm not there yet ;-)). I suggest a cheaper place and then perhaps a drink or two at the GCH bar in the evening. The common areas are fantastic. But you can enjoy those without having to stay (and pay) there.

For how many nights and which on site hotels have you stayed at before? If you're talking about $1000 vs. $800 and you've never stayed at GCH, I'd probably do that.
We are going for 3 nights. I've only ever stayed at Paradise Pier, which I didn't really care for (too far and didn't seem Disney enough).

I like DLH, if $300 is significant to you, stay there. I agree with PP, it's nice to say I've stayed a GCH, but the rooms are small-ish, though not as critical if only 2 guests. If you were taking kids and they were going to use the pool, definitely DLH for the slides. Early 60s isn't that old, and if your mom is fairly active, the walk to DLH is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the trip. You can cut it down some by using the monorail when your coming or going from the east side of the park or stopping for meals in DTD on the way back. I have a friend who did the Avon 39 in her early 60s. Meanwhile, my own mother would do 1 park day, then let us go back without her the next day at either GCH or DLH. I'd show her a map and let her decide.

If you want "More Disney", choose DLH. If you want closer, (and more like a Yosemite feel) then choose GCH. I personally prefer DLH. I like the Disney feel. And larger rooms.

I think it's well worth it. The location can not be beat. It's beautiful there.
You'll get a broad range of opinions on here. You've got the value offsite hotel/motel fans. You've got people who prioritize staying onsite.
I think you'll enjoy it, especially since it's for such a short time. You can try it out and see if it'll work for a longer stay.

...I am not 100% sure if the room renos will be done by early May either, if anyone can also offer input on that.
Renovations will not be done. Based on my observations last week, it seems about 20% of the rooms are done after 2 1/2 months work. The pools should be done by late April.

GCH is my favorite DLR hotel, both for the Arts and Crafts design and proximity to the parks.

"Worth" is relative... $100 means different things to different people. If spending the extra $300 on your hotel means skipping dinner at Blue Bayou or Napa Rose then I'd just stay at DLH and do what you want. If you are going to do everything you want because $300 is negligible then stay at GCH!

I think my problem is that while $300 isn't necessarily a deal breaker for us, I'm still just a penny pincher at heart. I just want to make sure that if I spent the extra $300 I wouldn't be regretting it...I wanted to be sure that GCH is truly the superior choice. I've read some mixed reviews on Yelp, but to be honest, sometimes I think some of those people are just nitpickers.

If it is not a deal breaker then you should do it. You will end up regretting not doing it every time you walk past the hotel to get back to DLH. It is the superior choice and yes those people on yelp are nitpickers.

We have stayed at all three of the Disney hotels, and we prefer the Grand Californian. It is nice to have a very short walk back after a long day in the parks, especially if you are going back to your room from DCA. You can exit from the park into your hotel. That is nice. Do what you can live with in your heart. Only you can decide what will work for you.

We've also stayed at all three and I find it hard to choose between the GCH and DLH as a favourite. They're different and to an extent its simply personal preference. Is it worth it? If you can afford it, then yes. But I can't guarantee you'll agree with me - it all depends what you see as 'worth it'. Location wise its amazing. I loved coming back to GCH after World of Colour when we were tired. It was so good to just walk straight through that entrance and be at our hotel. But I also loved DLH. Slightly longer walk, but magical. Brighter and lighter rooms.

Tough call. My advice - If you've never stayed at GCH, you're curious, and you can afford it, then go for it.

I think my problem is that while $300 isn't necessarily a deal breaker for us, I'm still just a penny pincher at heart. I just want to make sure that if I spent the extra $300 I wouldn't be regretting it...I wanted to be sure that GCH is truly the superior choice. I've read some mixed reviews on Yelp, but to be honest, sometimes I think some of those people are just nitpickers.
You could be seriously disappointed. I love GCH but I'm willing to pay the extra money for a little less walking. I don't find DtD especially busy even on weekend nights. The parks always seem much busier to me! DLH is wonderfully "Disney" themed and not that much more walking, especially if you utilize the monorail in DL to get back. Remember just because people walk right into GCH from DCA that doesn't mean their room is right there. You could be stuck down one of the insanely long halls. We were in Fantasy Tower at DLH with a room near the elevator and it was nice walking wise.

I just don't recommend GCH for people who are penny pinchers at heart and can't really shake that on vacation. Wondering your whole vacation if it was worth the extra $$$ is just no fun. Of note, GCH rooms are smaller than DLH & the theming has zero "Disney" feel for all practical purposes.

As I said, I love GCH. But I'm not an "active" person ;) so the proximity deserves the extra $$$ for me.

If $$$ is not an issue, I would say stay at DLH and use the $300 for the chef's counter meal at Napa Rose! We've stayed at all 3 DLR hotels and GCH is our 3rd favourite. The walk to the parks is nice but the room was small and the long hallways at GCH was a killer!

You could be seriously disappointed. I love GCH but I'm willing to pay the extra money for a little less walking. I don't find DtD especially busy even on weekend nights. The parks always seem much busier to me! DLH is wonderfully "Disney" themed and not that much more walking, especially if you utilize the monorail in DL to get back. Remember just because people walk right into GCH from DCA that doesn't mean their room is right there. You could be stuck down one of the insanely long halls. We were in Fantasy Tower at DLH with a room near the elevator and it was nice walking wise.

I just don't recommend GCH for people who are penny pinchers at heart and can't really shake that on vacation. Wondering your whole vacation if it was worth the extra $$$ is just no fun. Of note, GCH rooms are smaller than DLH & the theming has zero "Disney" feel for all practical purposes.

As I said, I love GCH. But I'm not an "active" person ;) so the proximity deserves the extra $$$ for me.

Yup. I agree with this. It's like the equivalent of staying in an ocean front hotel or 1 block from the beach. Or staying in the most desirable neighborhood in Paris...or two or three metro stops away from that neighborhood. I am lazy at the end of the night. And I would spend a few hundred more to be RIGHT THERE. But it is a tiny difference and one that I'm not sure most people would consider "worth it". Stay there for the pool and the theme/lobby and you probably won't be disappointed. Stay there purely for the convenience and you probably will be disappointed. After all you'll probably wander around downtown at closing just for that last bit of Disney magic anyway.

What views are you looking at? Would it be standard at both or a premium DLH to a standard GCH? If you are in the Adventure tower it isn't really all that far away. It strikes me that you say PP wasn' "Disney enough" for you. I dare say that many have said the same about GCH.

GCH is my favorite hotel in that entire area (Anaheim, Garden Grove). It is not very Disney themed. So, if you are looking for more DIsney, you want DLH. I like GCH because it is so easy to get back and forth to when at the parks. In fact, we never take midday breaks when staying anywhere else, but I haven't tried the Harbor hotels across the street, yet. I also like the balconies. I have read there are rooms that don't have them, but I've always had a balcony when staying at GCH.

Due to the high cost, though, I don't stay there very often. If I am staying "on property" it is the only hotel I will consider. Most of the time, I opt for a lot less money and stay in Garden Grove. It sounds like you want more Disney, though and if that is the case, you'll want DLH.

I'm about the same age as your mom and I'd also say I'm 'fairly active'. I do have a slight mobility impairment (bad ankle) that affects the amount of time I can spent standing or walking around. The Grand is worth every penny to me for the shorter walk. It means more park time and a shorter walk for that mid-day break. I stayed at the DLH once (Fantasy Tower) and the longer walk was very noticeable to me, especially at the end of the day. You can use the Monorail for your mid-day break, but not at the end of the day if you stay til the Park closes as the last Monorail run is 15-30 minutes before closing. And it's very unreliable for EMH.

But I always book either a standard or courtyard/woods view room. I don't think the extra for DTD or park view rooms is worth it unless you plan to spend a great deal of time in your room looking out the windows or sitting on the balcony.

Last edited:
We are very fortunate to be able to stay at the Grand Californian and we love it. Theming is okay ... Disneyland hotel is hands down the best in terms of magical .. but the location of the grand is why we keep coming back! it is SO convenient

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter