Is getting a college degree worth it at my age / circumstances?

College or not?

• Big waste of time and money

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • You Go Girl!

Votes: 95 89.6%
  • Other - becasue there has to be an other

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

china mom

DIS Veteran
I am 57 years old and have already retired once. I am working full time for the health insurance and spending money but have no desire to advance in my career. Plus, there isn't really anywhere here to advance to. I plan to stop working altogether within the next few years. This is my last job. Therefore, a college degree is of no use to me career wise.

I recently went back to college to finish my Bachelors degree for the satisfaction of knowing I have done it. I have taken three classes and have exactly four left. I have a scholarship so each class is only costing me just under $600 - all books are included. And, frankly, money is not an issue.

So, this weekend, DH made a snarky comment about my going back to school. He doesn't understand why I feel the need to do it and thinks it is a waste of time and money.

What do you think?

If it's not costing you and you enjoy, you should do it. I never finished mine (fortunately it was not a necessity) but it always bothered me (and still does) that I didn't get it. It was a goal of mine and it's one that I failed. I am also 57 and very well advanced in my career. I'd like to work another 5-7 years and it's embarrasing to me to apply for jobs now and not have that on my resume even though I'm very proficient in my area, I'm a manager, and I know how to run things. In other words, I don't need it. I attempted to go back and complete the degree about 3 years ago and I found online learning to be a "drowining in PowerPoint" thing. At $1500 per class, I was discouraged. So I stopped again and will likely never finish. But it I weren't paying, yes, I would do it.

Apparently your husband needs an education on critical thinking skills and how to better support his wife's personal growth. :sad2:
I think it is fantastic you are doing this for yourself. What was the snark really about?
Congrats on doing this, you will not regret finishing; it is an acheivement not everyone has done. :flower1:

My 65+ plan is to audit law school classes for free at the law school down the street...I'd do it now, but it's not free til 65:). I figure I'll do as much to earn a "in my head" degree, so 90 credits worth, even if it gets me nothing, b/c I always said I'd go to law school...

So, no, your desire is not silly - it's personal growth, even if there never is professional growth...

If it's not costing you and you enjoy, you should do it. I never finished mine (fortunately it was not a necessity) but it always bothered me (and still does) that I didn't get it. It was a goal of mine and it's one that I failed. I am also 57 and very well advanced in my career. I'd like to work another 5-7 years and it's embarrasing to me to apply for jobs now and not have that on my resume even though I'm very proficient in my area, I'm a manager, and I know how to run things. In other words, I don't need it. I attempted to go back and complete the degree about 3 years ago and I found online learning to be a "drowining in PowerPoint" thing. At $1500 per class, I was discouraged. So I stopped again and will likely never finish. But it I weren't paying, yes, I would do it.

I wouldn't let it bother you too much -although I get it. In the end, college degree or no not, it sounds like you have a good career ...that's the goal. I have a degree but wouldn't judge a resume based on that at all. I know as many successful people with a degree as without -and many much more well-off than I am. I'm 58 and think about going back to school once and a while -not for a career change and money, but more to do something different for the rest of my life. I had several opportunities while in college to continue on to law school but I passed at the time because I wasn't fully interested ...now I think about it as something to do in "retirement." I realized it's in my blood and can't escape it...LOL. Today, I just advise on all of my daughter's escapades(nothing too serious!)....

You want to do it, you have the time & money. Certainly not a waste of time and don't be so sure about how things are going to work out. You don't need the degree for your job, but maybe something else falls into your lap because you got the degree, or an acquaintance from a class wants you to help start a business. At the very least, you'll know more answers to Jeopardy questions if you get the education.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter