• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Gideon's Bakehouse REALLY Worth the Hype?

If you're a BIG fan of cookie dough, I think you'll love Gideon's offerings.

I adore cookies, even soft-baked ones, but I've never been a fan of eating cookie dough on its own, or cookie dough ice cream. So the purposefully "underbaked" nature of their cookies just does not appeal to me.

That said, however, I would rate their golden oreo cake slice as one of the best sweet treats I've ever enjoyed at Disney or anywhere, period. So if I go back to Gideon's, it'll be to grab a coffee and a cake slice, hold the cookie. :laughing:

I do not think there is any reason be snarky about it. In this economy, the quality of everything is changing. Many restaurants we used to frequent have gone downhill to save a buck. Disney is another one that has cut corners on food and it is obvious almost everywhere. What somebody commented in October may not apply today. And honestly, it is a pain in the rear to search the Dis if you are not on a laptop. I will not search if I am on my phone or iPad.

To the OP:
I do not feel it is worth the wait if you know how to bake. Like everything at these bakeries, they are mass produced and what does not sell sits in the cabinet until it does or hits the expiration date. Nothing is awful, but for the price, you will not find that "fresh-baked-out-of-the-oven" taste. Much like Crumbl Cookie, as you noted.
Respectfully, I wasn't being snarky. I did attempt a dumb joke in the first line of my response and I stand by it (I like dumb jokes; you clearly did not, which is fine). You raise additional questions the OP did not ask. The only original question the OP asked (that hasn't been asked recently in the many other Gideons threads) I answered honestly from my experience. But the OP didn't ask about food quality decline (since when? the most recent Gideons thread, which is more recent than October). The OP asked about whether the "wait" is "worth" it. That's not a remotely new question. Its been asked many, many times and I am sure it will come up again in the next six weeks. I think everyone can handle a little joke at the beginning of my response, especially since I coupled it with a serious response (that I hope was helpful to the OP).

We tried it once when we lucked upon a line that was relatively short due to rain. We had just eaten at Raglan Road and were already bringing home our leftover bread pudding, so we were not at all hungry. So we bought a few things and did enjoy what we purchased. Is it worth a wait in a longer line? That is subjective, of course, but the line seems to move at a good pace. The staff is nice and the products were tasty. I would return, but IMHO, it is not a ”must-do” on every trip.
How was your Raglan road experience? We got a reservation there and I'm excited to try it!

If you're a BIG fan of cookie dough, I think you'll love Gideon's offerings
My husband, who has been known to go to the grocery store just to pick up a tub of cookie dough to eat raw 🤣, did not like their cookies. Their underbaked is not the same as raw cookie dough... raw cookie dough is better! I am glad to see you also think they're underbaked too as that's how I was trying to describe them!

How was your Raglan road experience? We got a reservation there and I'm excited to try it!

We went on New Years Day. It was excellent. The food and service were really good, and the entertainment was great. It was our first time. We usually meet friends for dinner at Disney Springs. One of them got sick once off the scallops, so we never eat there if she's joining us. They couldn't come, so I jumped at the chance. I got the scallops even. Loved them and didn't get sick.

Do I love Gideon’s? - Yes!!!!
Would I wait in line outside? - No.

I have never seen it without a line outside, even when they are doing the virtual queue, there's a line outside. We do tend to go at busy times though.

I have never seen it without a line outside, even when they are doing the virtual queue, there's a line outside. We do tend to go at busy times though.
We went last year right near the end of August. It was perfect timing for us really. It was the day hurricane Idalia touched down in Florida and DS was pretty dead. We walked right into Gideons. That was an unexpected surprise! :)

We went last year right near the end of August. It was perfect timing for us really. It was the day hurricane Idalia touched down in Florida and DS was pretty dead. We walked right into Gideons. That was an unexpected surprise! :)
So you were there during a hurricane AND you had to go to Gideon's? I'm sorry. :laughing:

I’m a pretty good baker and have come to realize most bakery items at Disney look better than they taste. I gave Gideons a try and didn't find the cookies that great. They were fine but certainly not better than any cookies I can make myself. The cake slice I had was very good though. I love chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting but don’t make it much since not many people seem to like it. I got that cake slice and ate it over a few days. Enjoy the first chunk with the pb cold brew.

I love their vibe. I love their merch. I love it’s a single owner playing with the bigwigs in Disney Springs. I love “undercooked” cookies. I love salt on cookies! I love their cold brews. So for me, yes, it’s worth a 20-60 minute wait or a VQ because I’m “into them”. But it’s not for everybody. Know if you think it’s going to be “your thing” or not.

Okay, so since everyone thinks Gideon's is bad means I'll be able to walk right in and get a banana chocolate chip cookie, right?
No, because FOMOs aren't concerned with whether something is good or not. They just want it.

You can only make a cookie so good. It’s a very basic bakery item. No cookie in the world is worth a 10-60 minute wait in my opinion. However, their peanut butter cold brew is excellent. I would get one every time if they had a line for just coffee.
HA! I am huge peanut butter fan and a coffee fan, and I listened to the hype on the peanut butter cold brew. I drank about a third of it and threw the rest out.

So….i think their cookies are WAY better warm. If you make hot cookie hour, go for it. I do think they are worth waiting maybe up to a half hour for once. Or if they are running a virtual queue and you are going to be around. It’s a very cute store and I’ve really liked SOME of their cookies. Others have been just dry, IMO. I’ve only tried cake once and it was a monthly special one. It’s an experience almost more than a bakery.

Overhyped. The cookies are good, tasty, fresh and expensive. For us, it was a one and done experience.

I did in August's sweltering heat because it was the ONE thing my very pregnant sister asked for as a gift. On the hand, I could take it or leave it. I'm not a huge fan of their cookies, they taste too dough for my liking.
Sounds like how I feel about Crumbl.

Respectfully, I wasn't being snarky. I did attempt a dumb joke in the first line of my response and I stand by it (I like dumb jokes; you clearly did not, which is fine). You raise additional questions the OP did not ask. The only original question the OP asked (that hasn't been asked recently in the many other Gideons threads) I answered honestly from my experience. But the OP didn't ask about food quality decline (since when? the most recent Gideons thread, which is more recent than October). The OP asked about whether the "wait" is "worth" it. That's not a remotely new question. Its been asked many, many times and I am sure it will come up again in the next six weeks. I think everyone can handle a little joke at the beginning of my response, especially since I coupled it with a serious response (that I hope was helpful to the OP).
I kinda thought you were being snarky as well....some people on forums get bent out of shape about repeat questions, which is why I thought that. Glad you meant it as a joke. I do appreciate your original response. :thumbsup2

As an aside, what the person you quoted said is why I do not always go off older responses. Food quality is rapidly declining. :/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter