Is it best to call to cancel if you need borrowed points put back?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
It looks like a trip that i recently booked for 7/6-7/10 we will be cancelling. I did borrow from 2021 to make this trip happen. From what i can gather from reading other posts it sounds like i could cancel online and in 15 days the points will be moved back automatically.

Is that really the case? or would i be better off calling (waiting on hold for an hour) and talking with a CM to know for sure.

Are there any scenarios where they are not moving the points back to the borrowed UY?

I tried unbanking points yesterday and use them in place of borrowed points from 2020 for our August vacation and was denied

I think exceptions are made sometimes but I would call and ask. From what I’m hearing their lieniency is growing thin as the days go on for cancelling transactions

I have a couple of questions. First background. I’m a Dvc member in and an annual passholder. I booked three trips this year, two of which were canceled due to the virus. The next trip is in August. I am from upstate New York, and I heard the Florida governor said no one from the tri-state area is allowed to come to Florida or go to Walt Disney World. I borrowed from 2021 the points for the August trip. Been cooped up in the house for three months and I have had little to no contact with anybody.

now the questions. If I’m forced to cancel our August trip, will member services put the borrowed points back into 2021? Second question is disney has extended the annual passholder time until the parks open, but because the governor has basically banned us from going down, will disney extend our annual passes even further?

this is all very frustrating. As it stands I’ve had three trips with booking airline tickets and all I get is a credit toward a future flight. When that will happen who knows.

I have a couple of questions. First background. I’m a Dvc member in and an annual passholder. I booked three trips this year, two of which were canceled due to the virus. The next trip is in August. I am from upstate New York, and I heard the Florida governor said no one from the tri-state area is allowed to come to Florida or go to Walt Disney World. I borrowed from 2021 the points for the August trip. Been cooped up in the house for three months and I have had little to no contact with anybody.

now the questions. If I’m forced to cancel our August trip, will member services put the borrowed points back into 2021? Second question is disney has extended the annual passholder time until the parks open, but because the governor has basically banned us from going down, will disney extend our annual passes even further?

this is all very frustrating. As it stands I’ve had three trips with booking airline tickets and all I get is a credit toward a future flight. When that will happen who knows.

The order is supposed to end early July and some think by end lf a June when they move to Phase 3.

Right now, they are returning borrowed points for canceled trips. How long that will last, we do not know They could eliminate it at any time,

For AP, it has not yet been decided of the exact extension, Due to the new reservation system we will all have to do, it may impact the extension and Disney decides not to count it.

Hopefully, some news will happen this week or next!

The order is supposed to end early July and some think by end lf a June when they move to Phase 3.

Right now, they are returning borrowed points for canceled trips. How long that will last, we do not know They could eliminate it at any time,

For AP, it has not yet been decided of the exact extension, Due to the new reservation system we will all have to do, it may impact the extension and Disney decides not to count it.

Hopefully, some news will happen this week or next!
Thanks for the reply. I was unaware that the order ends June/July timeframe. I so need a Disney fix!!

the 14 day quarantine order from anyone from NY expires on July 7 so I’m guessing you will be fine for August.
If your trip it cancelled because you are from NYC I’m guessing MS will put your points back into 2021

It looks like a trip that i recently booked for 7/6-7/10 we will be cancelling. I did borrow from 2021 to make this trip happen. From what i can gather from reading other posts it sounds like i could cancel online and in 15 days the points will be moved back automatically.

Is that really the case? or would i be better off calling (waiting on hold for an hour) and talking with a CM to know for sure.

Are there any scenarios where they are not moving the points back to the borrowed UY?
I cancelled my July trip online 2 weeks ago and confirmed via chat that the points would be put back but it would take 15 days. After about a week, I contacted MS via chat again to check in on the points and was asked if I needed the points to make another reservation they could expedite the unborrowing. I said I didn't need the points right away and could wait but the points were moved back later that day. I think calling is the most effective way- I just didn't want to wait on the phone.

I called Member Services last week to cancel our August trip. We had originally scheduled a May vacation which was canceled so we had moved the trip to August. Given the uncertainty of what WDW was going to be in August, we decided to cancel that trip. Member Services had banked my 2019 points into 2020 (I was beyond my banking end date) when we canceled the May trip. I was grateful that they did that for me! When I canceled the August trip, my 2019 points stayed in my 2020 use year and my borrowed 2021 points were put back into my 2021 use year. No hassle, no questions asked. My points showed up in my account 3 days after my call. As a side note, I asked for a partial refund on my AP. I was transferred over to Tickets and she filled out the paperwork for my request. When she finished she noticed that I also had tickets for MNSSHP. She asked if I wanted a refund for those tickets too. I said yes and she gave me the refund without any questions or hassle. She said that refunds should show up on my credit card within 10 to 14 working days.

Last edited:
When she finished she noticed that I also had tickets for MNSSHP. She asked if I wanted a refund for those tickets too. I said yes and she gave me the refund without any questions or hassle. She said that refunds should show up on my credit card within 10 to 14 working days.

A quick update; the refund for my MNSSHP tickets showed up on my credit card yesterday.

Hmm, I’m on calendar day 7 where I cancelled a reservation made with borrowed 2021 points into 2020. Still shows in 2020, wonder how long I should give it to move?

Hmm, I’m on calendar day 7 where I cancelled a reservation made with borrowed 2021 points into 2020. Still shows in 2020, wonder how long I should give it to move?

15 days is what they quote.

i think someone here said 4-6 days average, I’m inpatient:drinking1

Yes, it is happening earlier but they quote 15. Now if you really want them call and tell them you need them to book something ASAP. I got them moved faster that way.

Yes, it is happening earlier but they quote 15. Now if you really want them call and tell them you need them to book something ASAP. I got them moved faster that way.

Good to know, I think I’m just hyped up from all of this reopening news that I’m kind of in “now now now!” mode. Given the speed of DVC, probably not the expectations I should be setting 😂

I shall be patient

wonder how long I should give it to move?
I did a chat today and they told me it should be back to original UY in about a week, but from other threads i have heard 15 days. I'd give it another few days. I am sure they are back logged with all the issues going on.

I did a chat today and they told me it should be back to original UY in about a week, but from other threads i have heard 15 days. I'd give it another few days. I am sure they are back logged with all the issues going on.

fummy I just checked today, and they did some weird point allocation that I couldn’t decipher.

1) my borrowed points from 2020 to 2019 returned back to 2020

2) 12 out of 26 points borrowed from 2021 to 2020 returned back to 2021

I’ll have to ask why they left 14 points stranded in 2020 about that last one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter