Is it miserable or enjoyable?

VApastor79

Earning My Ears
We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.

We have never been to Disney World in Summer. We know it’s hot and humid, but the question is, is does the misery overwhelm the magic? I know part of it is mindset.
We were frequent summer visitors when our children were young. It's hot and sticky and it rains briefly almost every afternoon. But, park hours were always longer and you could get a lot done after sundown when it got cooler.

For me it doesn’t. I won’t lie and say it isn’t much nicer to go when it’s cooler buuut that being said I’m going the first week of August. Lol.
Go early, Stay late, Take a break.
Avoid the heat of the daytime right after lunchtime… That’s when the park is the most crowded anyway… Go back to your resort and rest and relax.

I think you're going to get a variety of answers. I've been there early June and even then I found it unbearable. I don't deal well with heat/humidity and I was miserable most of the day so I wasn't able to enjoy the parks much. In fact I'm pretty sure I barely did rides that trip. I just couldn't handle it. I would go back to my room and hang out in the a/c. There is no way I'd ever go during the summer. My sister went 2 years ago at the end of July and she said she'd never do it again. Going all day long in that kind of heat is difficult so they'd take long afternoon breaks and it's not the way my sister prefers to do Disney. Her two friends who went with her didn't mind the heat/humidity as much and said they could deal with it. They enjoyed the pool time in the afternoons.

We typically go during cooler months (November through February) and it would take either of us a heck of a lot to get us to go during the warmer months again.

It depends. Our family always went in the summer. And, then a few years back-my husband and I went in April. We LOVED the April climate. BUT, we also managed to enjoy Disney in July. We would get to the parks a bit before opening, stay until about 11-12, head back to the hotel, hit the pool, and then nap. Go back to the parks in the late afternoon. We were fine. However, I have had friends who have gone in the summer, who have vowed-never again. So, I think it depends on you and your family-genetics and attitude to cope with humidity and heat.

I’m guessing you’re in VA based on your username? I live in Central VA and our summers are pretty comparable to FL. Do a trial run on a hot day to Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens to get an idea. Yesterday our weather was hotter than the weather in Orlando. Same thing for the trip I took in August a couple years ago-the whole time we were in FL it was actually hotter in VA.

It can be pretty brutal, but we found that Disney in the summer is doable with a lot of hydration, sunscreen, UV blocking umbrellas, walking through stores instead of the streets when possible to get out of the sun and into the AC, taking mid-day breaks, etc.

Same thing for the trip I took in August a couple years ago-the whole time we were in FL it was actually hotter in VA.
When I lived in NY and went to WDW in July or August it was always hotter in NY. Humidity about the same. I actually preferred it to the December or March when you have to pack for hot and cold. We did one trip end of March it was record col followed by record hot.

I would recommend looking at the people in your travel party. Can they all handle melt-your-face-off heat? My DD and I can but we once went with friends and their daughter was absolutely miserable and decreased the fun for some of our trip as she was just not able to function in the heat.

We go prepared with cooling towels, fans and lots of water and take our days slowly and take breaks. We love it but, it's not for all.

For us, it is enjoyable. YMMV. I'm a teacher so my work schedule usually means the summer is when we go. Like anything else with Disney, if you plan accordingly you will be fine. There's no reason you have to spend a ton of time outside roasting in the sun. Most attractions are indoors. Plan to do the outdoor ones early or late in the day. Be prepared for afternoon downpours. I actually like how warm the pools are in the summer lol.

We went in the summer for the first time as a family several years ago. And then we did multiple summers in a row, so we didn’t know any better. Yeah we love it!

But if I travelled to Disney in cooler months first, I’d probably hate it.

It's all perspective and individual. We've done all day in the parks in the Summer and I'm fine, the kids are fine, my husband is a grouch when he gets hot. If we were going on a once in a lifetime trip, I would never go with him in the Summer because it only takes one irritable person to suck some of the fun out of the trip. But if you're ok with separating (and we are) then the kids and I will just continue going, and he'll go find an air conditioned place to sit, or even leave the parks for a bit and come back later. We come prepared with water, cooling towels, we take breaks, I let the kids stick their entire heads in water, and it's all good. But even that is not enough if you're miserable in heat and humidity.

We went in the summer for the first time as a family several years ago. And then we did multiple summers in a row, so we didn’t know any better. Yeah we love it!

But if I travelled to Disney in cooler months first, I’d probably hate it.
Yes, we have gotten so used to going in January that late April is even rough for us now. My husband and daughter especially don't handle the heat well. Once my oldest gets in school, we plan to travel during his October fall break. We have sworn off going to Florida parks between Easter and the first day of fall, unless we are just going for waterparks or have a season pass and just go for the evening hours.

I hate the heat, but with school summer is pretty much the only time we can go. We try to go as early in June as possible. I do think the heat is more bearable then vs. August.

I try to seek out shade, walk through stores to get to where I'm going and drink a ton of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter