• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it normal for doctors to book two patients at exactly the same time?

KennesawNemo

DIS Veteran
I have two appointments in the past couple weeks where I noticed the doctors booked two patients at exatctly the same time. One appt was with my OBGYN and the other was with my opthamologist. Both my appointments were made at least 2 weeks in advance, so it was not like I walked in. I noticed the same-doctor-same-time situation on the sign-in sheet they had at the front desk.

I had to wait 20-30mins past my appt time both times. During my opthamologist visit, I can clearly hear the doctor treating the other patient next door. I walked in about the same time as that lady and she didn't seem to have any life-threatening situation.

I wonder if this is the normal case nowadays. If not, I am seriously considering changing doctors. I am not too happy with this arrangment. I would be fine even if they schedule us slightly apart, say 10 mins.

Thank you!

It's normal, and it's only going to get worse.

I worked for a doctor 10 years ago - we were always double-booked. Always. And if someone called in sick, they were never turned away, so that sometimes meant a triple-book depending on how fast they could get there.

It's nothing new.

Edit: It was actually more than 10 years ago, now that I think for a second. More like 15 years ago.

I think this is standard practice. What irks me is doctors have no problems at all doing this to patients and making patients wait. But should a patient arrive late, not show up, or make a late cancellation, the doctor charges the patient a penalty fee. I call bs on that.

I worked for a doctor 10 years ago - we were always double-booked. Always. And if someone called in sick, they were never turned away, so that sometimes meant a triple-book depending on how fast they could get there.

It's nothing new.

Yeah, I can understand taking in patients who are very sick and give them priorities. What I don't like is booking two patients for regular check at the same time. It's very irrespectful. I can't imagine doing this at other businesses, but I guess this is the reality and I'll have to get used to it and budget more time every time I have a doc appt.

Thank you.

My husband goes to the cardiologist every 6 months. The last time he was there..there not 2, not 3, but 4 patients all scheduled for exactly the same time!!!

By the time they got him in and out, it was closing time for the office. He told them if they do that again, he will leave, and they can reschedule his appt. His time is just as valuable as theirs is!

It's very common. Every doctor I know does it. My dentist does not.

I always try to schedule first thing in the morning or right after lunch so they are less likely to be super far behind (such as in middle of the morning or middle of the afternoon). I just plan on having to spend time there and take something to do...not fun but a fact we have to get used to. My son had an eye doctor follow-up appointment. Put him down at 8AM---first appointment supposedly. At 8:40 the doctor walked in....

I think this is standard practice. What irks me is doctors have no problems at all doing this to patients and making patients wait. But should a patient arrive late, not show up, or make a late cancellation, the doctor charges the patient a penalty fee. I call bs on that.

Not everywhere. The only time we double book is for sick calls, 11:00-11:30 and 4:00-4:30 We book 6 appts, per doc, in a 30 minute period.

The rest of the time it is 1 appt slot every 15 minutes. Some types of appts take more than 1 slot: teenage ckups, ADHD evals, headache evals, etc.

I believe 4 is common and this is nothing new. My FIL has been retired almost 30 years and they double booked.

When I was a receptionist in a veterinary office (same principle I guess) we were always told to double book even though we would have appointments available at other times. So we were always crazy overwhelmed and clients were constantly yelling and angry with me as if it was my fault that I was doing what my boss told me to. Ughhhh.

Some book two at exactly the same time because it's easier for people to remember a time on the quarter/half hour rather than a time five minutes before or after the quarter hour. If there are one or staff members who will see the patients first, such as someone may get a patient's vital's signs in one room and then take the patient to a separate examining room, having several patients come in at approximately the same time keeps the flow moving. Then the doctor can move from exam room to exam room to see the patients.

It's difficult for doctors to schedule patients as someone will say he or she is coming for one problem, then remember several others once the doctor is there. It's a delicate balance to schedule the correct amount of time for each appointment when each patient takes a different amount. Many patients forget the appointment, fail to show, or call to cancel, so it's also important for the doctor to have enough patients scheduled. The doctors have bills, also.

My husband often has to cancel on short notice or arrive later than scheduled due to his job. Our doctor has never charged him an extra fee, but I know it's exasperating.

I always try to schedule first thing in the morning or right after lunch so they are less likely to be super far behind (such as in middle of the morning or middle of the afternoon). I just plan on having to spend time there and take something to do...not fun but a fact we have to get used to. My son had an eye doctor follow-up appointment. Put him down at 8AM---first appointment supposedly. At 8:40 the doctor walked in....

I've been doing that too...booking the first appointment. The last time the Dr walked in 30 minutes late. Ughh

That's what I did. 8am in the morning, still double booked.

Also, the files, the equipments where not ready. The staff and the doc were just waiting for it to "warm up".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter