Is it rude to blow your nose in an office cubicle?

Is it rude to blow your nose in an office cubicle?

• No, as long as you are fairly quiet and use a tissue

Votes: 143 91.7%
  • Yes, get up and use the bathroom it's rude

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
No, not rude at all. Rather they blow their nose than sniffle continuously. I would also hope they're using hand sanitizer afterwards.

I'd rather hear someone blow their nose in their cubicle then hear them sniffle all day.

OP here - I think the reason I asked was I work in very close contact with others and sometimes (not trying to be TMI) it turns into a 1-2 tissue sort of situation....

I would hope not. I've had two horrible sinus infections since November and can't imagine having to have run into the bathroom every time I had to blow my nose. No matter where it's done, just be smart about it. Throw the tissue out, wash hands or use hand sanitizer before touching anything, etc.

Nah, as long as you at least try to do it quietly. Unlike the trumpeting elephant that apparently wandered into our work area this morning <sigh>.....

If you have to honk like Felix Unger, I'm sure your coworkers would appreciate it if you went to the restroom.

I work with TWO trumpeting elephants. :lmao: One of them blows/honks their nose LOUDLY several times a day. And i do mean roughly every half hour approximately. Drives me absolutely nuts!!!!! She should go to the bathroom IMO. if you can't do it quietly then you should do it in private.

I agree with a pp, that if you blow your nose you should wash your hands, or use a squirt of gel after blowing your nose to avoid spreading germs, unless its allergies I guess.

I agree with a pp, that if you blow your nose you should wash your hands, or use a squirt of gel after blowing your nose to avoid spreading germs, unless its allergies I guess.
Even if its just allergies, people dont wanna be touching someone else's snot. washing hands after is a must!!!!

The biggest issue for me would be whether the blower uses hand sanitizer afterward.

I am amazed at the number of people I see blowing who just keep right on going without cleaning hands.

DH works with a guy who actually plays a tune. DD spent a day at work with him and couldn't help but giggle when she heard it. If DH even mentions that guy, she starts laughing.

Speaking for myself only, I have sinus issues. I always have. My sinus anatomy is all screwy and basically I have chronic sinusitis. Even when I'm not "sick" I constantly have to blow my nose. I always have tissues on me. ALWAYS. If I went to the restroom every time I did it I would live in there. I'm not sick, I'm not contagious or spreading anything around. It is what it is.

Speaking for myself only, I have sinus issues. I always have. My sinus anatomy is all screwy and basically I have chronic sinusitis. Even when I'm not "sick" I constantly have to blow my nose. I always have tissues on me. ALWAYS. If I went to the restroom every time I did it I would live in there. I'm not sick, I'm not contagious or spreading anything around. It is what it is.

I feel for you. That would be so annoying to deal with over time.

But I would also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer with those tissues. You may know you have nothing contagious, but other people don't. And of course, it's about more than contagion.

I feel for you. That would be so annoying to deal with over time.

But I would also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer with those tissues. You may know you have nothing contagious, but other people don't. And of course, it's about more than contagion.

Oh it is. It's not fun. But, I suppose there are worse chronic health problems to deal with.

I don't use hand sanitizer because I really don't think it's good for you. Once in awhile, ok, but regularly, no.

Lucky for me I work outside and pretty independently, so we are constantly surrounded by many things much dirtier than my hands. We quite literally work in a hole in the ground.

Don't get me wrong, if I need to stop and wash my hands I do.

I'm right there with you. My sinuses frequently need to be cleared every day of the year. I just had surgery to improve a deviated septum because I could not blow my nose effectively on one side. Not clearing this sinus caused a lot of health problems and cost a lot of money for doctors and drugs. It is not rude to clear your nose, it is medically necessary.

My latest obsession is a suction machine that the ear, nose and throat doctor used to suction the mucous out of my sinuses. I want one for myself but I am sure that the thing is mega expensive. It has its own room at his office. The hose is a little uncomfortable but it is amazing how much this machine clears your sinuses.

I personally can't stand to hear someone blow their nose around me it makes me almost throw up esp in the kitchen or at the dinning table, I would never tell anyone to go somewhere else to blow their nose.

I'm right there with you. My sinuses frequently need to be cleared every day of the year. I just had surgery to improve a deviated septum because I could not blow my nose effectively on one side. Not clearing this sinus caused a lot of health problems and cost a lot of money for doctors and drugs. It is not rude to clear your nose, it is medically necessary.

My latest obsession is a suction machine that the ear, nose and throat doctor used to suction the mucous out of my sinuses. I want one for myself but I am sure that the thing is mega expensive. It has its own room at his office. The hose is a little uncomfortable but it is amazing how much this machine clears your sinuses.

I had surgery to try and straighten a deviated septum about 10 years ago. Before the surgery I had about 80% blockage in my sinuses. The surgery helped but it's still not the way it should be.

I have recently tried a neti pot. My mom swears by it. It can work for me if I catch an oncoming cold in the early stages but this last time I tried it I think I waited too long so by then my already pretty blocked sinuses were swollen and I think I got some water trapped in there which just made the problem worse.

If I have a flare up and can't get it under control my sinus pressure will morph into migraines which are no fun.

I had surgery to try and straighten a deviated septum about 10 years ago. Before the surgery I had about 80% blockage in my sinuses. The surgery helped but it's still not the way it should be.

I have recently tried a neti pot. My mom swears by it. It can work for me if I catch an oncoming cold in the early stages but this last time I tried it I think I waited too long so by then my already pretty blocked sinuses were swollen and I think I got some water trapped in there which just made the problem worse.

If I have a flare up and can't get it under control my sinus pressure will morph into migraines which are no fun.

This is where that suction machine becomes invaluable. The amount of mucous from a neti pot is very small compared to what this machine can get out. I think this kind of procedure should be routine for chronic sinus sufferers. You might want to see a doctor who has one of these machines. I plan on seeing if I can have this done regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter