Is it Worth It To Stay On-Site?

CindyBeth

<font color=deeppink>There's a Great Big Beautiful
We will be going to WDW for a week and want to spend two days at the end of our trip at US & IOA. Is it worth it to stay on-site at one of the two hotels at Universal for that night?

You don't say what time of the year you will be going. If it's during a crowded time, the express access you get by staying on site definitely makes it worthwhile. Especially if you can get the entertainment rate for a room. One night in the hotel gives you two days of express access.
It's also so convenient to get to the parks.

I am going to Universal for the first time at the end of this month. I got reservations at the Radisson Twin Towers across the street from Universal for $25/night through Priceline. The lowest rate I have seen of HRH is $117/night through Entertainment Card. I don't have an Entertainment Card, but even if I did, I don't think I could ever pay an extra $92 + tax just to get on the rides faster. I guess you have to decide what is more important - extra money or FOTL access.

We just went to USF for the first time in August and stayed at the HRH. You can walk to both parks and Citywalk. A five minute walk to USF and a 12 minute walk (and not a fast walk) to IOA - door to door. FOTL is to die for, especially in a crowded time of year.

We stayed at HRH in June, and the FOTL was priceless! Friends of ours stayed at WDW and drove the Universal for the day when they were there, and we were able to do sooooo much more than they did, mainly because we didn't have to wait in line. They used Express Pass, too, and it didn't save them much time overall. I'd say if this is your only trip to USF/IOA for a long time, it might be worth it to stay on site to be sure you get to see and do it all. If you're planning on returning in the near future, then it might not matter if you miss some things this time around.

If you can swing it, stay on site. It is worth it for the ease of access to the parks. And we never stay on-site at WDW!

That said, if you're going in the off season, you can see plenty by getting to the parks at opening, commando touring and using express passes.

WE just came back from two weeks ago and talked about this as well. We wound up keeping our $49 rate at All Star. It was only a 15-20 minute drive, we got there early, used Express passes, and we were fine. we figured one night at the Entertainment rate was about 2.5 nights at the All Star.

In the two days we were there, we only saw one person pull out there room card for FOTL.

It depends on the time of year. I personally LOVED FOTL, but I used it on a holiday weekend in May. Without it I would've been standing on lines for days!

On an off week in October or March, I don't know if it's absolutely necessary. But for the proximity to the parks it's priceless.

And CindyB, the fact that you only saw one person pull out their pass is a plus in my book. I rarely saw people use theirs while I was there also, which meant I walked right on! I had people ask me over and over what WAS that card??? It was like magic!

Generally, I never pay $100-$200 a night for a room. FOTL at the onsite hotels made me reconsider that. FOTL is really the only reason why I pay that much for a room. I remember going to Cedar Point and paying $115 a night for a room at the Breakers. The hotel was nice, but I felt like I was paying too much since I didn't have any benefits other than location and room charging privilidges. I had a nice view of the smoking patio -- good thing I left my blinds closed most of the time! :)

Thanks for everyone's replys. I think that you have convince me to stay on-site. FOTL sounds too good to pass up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter