Is it worth losing FP's to avoid Columbus Day crowds at F&W?

wootejl

Earning My Ears
We're headed to WDW the week of Columbus Day because it's Fall Break for my husband who is a school administrator. I honestly can't believe that I missed the fact that it was also Columbus Day, but I am such a huge planner and already had every detail of our trip planned when I realized it was also Columbus Day weekend. When we went in March to Flower & Garden, the only day we could go was on a Saturday and we swore that for our October trip, we would do Food & Wine on a weekday to avoid those weekend crowds because it was just SO packed. That's why for this trip, I planned our Epcot day for a Monday without even realizing that was a holiday. To change it at this point would mean sacrificing FP reservations that we probably couldn't get back and possibly dining reservations also... is it worth it? Are the crowds at F&W THAT bad on Columbus Day or would you just leave it alone?

I would leave it alone personally. It might be crowded but Columbus Day won’t be as busy as other Monday holidays. Even if it is crowded, I really don’t think it will be bad enough to freak out. Just go with it.

We'd either have to swap our Epcot Day with our MK day, AK day, or rest day. Just listing the items that would sting a little (or a lot) to cancel... At Epcot we'd be losing Frozen Ever After FP, Soarin' FP, and Coral Reef reservation. If we swap with MK day, we'd also be losing 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan, and I wouldn't cancel our Ohana reservation that day, however it would mean cutting our day at Epcot short to make the reservation at Ohana as opposed to just hoping on the monorail from MK once the park closed to MNSSHP guests. If we swap with AK day, we'd also be losing FOP, and if we swap with our rest day (not ideal since I don't really think we'd want a rest day after only one day in the parks so far) then we'd be losing our Hoop Dee Doo reservation.

I would leave it alone ... you scored some good FP's and it would be a shame to lose them. We will be there during the Columbus Day weekend (school people too!) and always travel to WDW during peak crowd times (Christmas Week, Spring Break, etc.). The crowds can be daunting but we always have a wonderful time.

I agree with others. Keep to your plan. Even if F&W is more crowded than a typical Monday, you’ll find it doable and less stressful than moving things around.
Be at WS at 11 and crowds will be fine.

We went on Monday and Wednesday last year of that week. I didn't notice a big difference in the crowds. That's just become a busy week. The first time we went for Fall Break we were there for the first week of October. The second week was definitely more crowded last year. However, it was very doable and we are going again this year for that same week.

We will be there the same week, also because it's our Fall Break, and we will be at Epcot that day too! It will be busy but I agree with another poster who suggested getting into World Showcase right at 11am. No way would I switch days at this point - whatever time you saved with lower crowds would have to be spent waiting in lines for rides you no longer have FPs for.

P. S. How do you have a Frozen Ever After FP and a Soarin' FP? They're both Tier 1 so I think you can only get one of them in the initial set of 3?

See you there!

We often go during Columbus Day week, and we have found the worst days for F&W are the Saturday and Sunday before. The week in general is busier than other October weeks, but Epcot should be manageable. Based on your other plans, I don't think it is worth changing anything.

Keep them. We blundered into CD a few years back arriving the Thurs prior and leaving the Sat after. CD and the weekend prior were noticeably more crowded and we've avoided that time frame since but it didn't ruin our time.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter