Is it worth visiting TDL during my Tokyo trip?

cdd89

Earning My Ears
Hey folks,

So having experienced and loved WDW, DL and DLP, I've been absolutely desperate to visit TDL.

By good fortune, I have a trip coming up to fly to Tokyo, arriving on the 18th July (8:50 AM Narita Airport).

I was naturally excited by this and the prospect of visiting TDL for a couple of days... I've even provisionally booked a (refundable) hotel near the resort for the first two nights!

My idea was to head over there from the airport, and spend the first latter-half day there, then spend the next full day there, and possibly a third full day too if we don't feel we've had enough (OK, let's just assume that's a definite 2 and a half days then :) ).

BUT - I was pretty upset to see a Crowd Calendar for Tokyo Disneyland which suggests it's going to be "95/100" busy on the first day, and "Exclamation Mark" busy on the second two days!

I've spent the past month worrying about this, so I've done what I should have done a month ago and thrown it out to you guys for honest opinions... is it worth our visiting? Or would I ruin the Disney magic for myself by going during such a busy time? And is it, in fact, such a busy time? Would I be likely to be denied park admission (or park hopping) if I arrived a microsecond after park opening?

And is there anything that can be done (regardless of reasonable cost - it'll likely be my only visit to Tokyo for the foreseeable future, so I'm prepared to spend whatever is necessary, including additional tickets per person) to mitigate the effect of the crowds on my visit?

For context:
  • I visited Disneyland California on a Crowd Level 9/10 and 7/10 day, and found that fine and tolerable
  • I visited Disneyland Paris over Christmas when it seemed busy (although I didn't have context) - and again a week ago when it seemed 'quite' busy - and that was fine
  • I visited the WDW in Orlando a couple of weeks ago and had no problems at all, although that was a slightly lower predicted crowd level

But I don't think that, in all honsety, I feel up to 3 hour wait times - so if that's what I'd be in for for every ride, I'd probably reluctantly give it a miss. On the other hand, I hear it is one of the most beautiful parks architecturally, so I'd be happy to spend quite a bit of time just looking around without necessarily waiting in line or riding.

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

-cdd89

Hey folks, So having experienced and loved WDW, DL and DLP, I've been absolutely desperate to visit TDL. By good fortune, I have a trip coming up to fly to Tokyo, arriving on the 18th July (8:50 AM Narita Airport). I was naturally excited by this and the prospect of visiting TDL for a couple of days... I've even provisionally booked a (refundable) hotel near the resort for the first two nights! My idea was to head over there from the airport, and spend the first latter-half day there, then spend the next full day there, and possibly a third full day too if we don't feel we've had enough (OK, let's just assume that's a definite 2 and a half days then :) ). BUT - I was pretty upset to see a Crowd Calendar for Tokyo Disneyland which suggests it's going to be "95/100" busy on the first day, and "Exclamation Mark" busy on the second two days! I've spent the past month worrying about this, so I've done what I should have done a month ago and thrown it out to you guys for honest opinions... is it worth our visiting? Or would I ruin the Disney magic for myself by going during such a busy time? And is it, in fact, such a busy time? Would I be likely to be denied park admission (or park hopping) if I arrived a microsecond after park opening? And is there anything that can be done (regardless of reasonable cost - it'll likely be my only visit to Tokyo for the foreseeable future, so I'm prepared to spend whatever is necessary, including additional tickets per person) to mitigate the effect of the crowds on my visit? For context: [*]I visited Disneyland California on a Crowd Level 9/10 and 7/10 day, and found that fine and tolerable [*]I visited Disneyland Paris over Christmas when it seemed busy (although I didn't have context) - and again a week ago when it seemed 'quite' busy - and that was fine [*]I visited the WDW in Orlando a couple of weeks ago and had no problems at all, although that was a slightly lower predicted crowd level But I don't think that, in all honsety, I feel up to 3 hour wait times - so if that's what I'd be in for for every ride, I'd probably reluctantly give it a miss. On the other hand, I hear it is one of the most beautiful parks architecturally, so I'd be happy to spend quite a bit of time just looking around without necessarily waiting in line or riding. Thanks so much in advance for your advice! -cdd89[/QUOTE

Yes it's crazy packed! No you won't get to ride many rides or see many shows. But there are so many items sold there that you can't get anywhere else! Even if you can score only a few fast passes, you will be glad you did. I have been twice and barely scratched the surface. Since this may be your only chance for a while I say go for it!!!

If you are staying at a good neighbor hotel then you are guaranteed admission even on crazy busy days. I've only been on slow days and I couldn't imagine waiting hours for an attraction. However, I would probably be content just walking around disney sea and taking in the atmosphere. It's a beautiful park that is extremely unique, I think you would be happy just being there even if it meant not actually going on any rides.

I think if you go in with the right expectations, you can still have an enjoyable time.

TDS is a stunning park, and all the atmosphere is there to enjoy without waiting in a line to ride on some attraction.

Why not plan on taking in the shows, strolling around admiring the architecture, getting the occasional Fast Pass, and building up great memories?

I say go for it!

I think if you go in with the right expectations, you can still have an enjoyable time.

TDS is a stunning park, and all the atmosphere is there to enjoy without waiting in a line to ride on some attraction.

Why not plan on taking in the shows, strolling around admiring the architecture, getting the occasional Fast Pass, and building up great memories?

I say go for it!

I totally agree. Even if you don't get to enjoy many attractions the parks are still incredible! Just being there walking around with my popcorn bucket was priceless :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter