Is July 4th a hellscape at WDW?

WDWOswald

DIS Veteran
We are staying July 2-6th at boardwalk villas. We are WDW veterans in every sense- but we have never been there the week of July 4th. Does magic kingdom really close for capacity? If so, that means what…. 100 minute wait for pirates? Has anyone ever been there on the fourth and thought … never again?

Our plan right now is just to visit Epcot on July 3rd and maybe magic kingdom July 5. I love fireworks but I don’t know if we can handle the insanity.

I think if you are there during the 4th, you should go to the fireworks. I have been there a few times during this period and it was never Christmas or Spring Break crowded. It was crowded, but manageable.

We enjoy fireworks but we aren’t real firework people if that makes sense. We have been twice over July 4th (last time 2021). It was crowded but not “never again” crowded (but most of our trips are during peak crowds like New Years, Easter, Presidents Day, etc so we can deal with crowds). We do MK July 3 since they have their July 4th fireworks on the 3rd and 4th (we do not try to be in the hub since that is a nuthouse, we have watched around BOG). We avoid Epcot July 4. One year we stayed at the resort all July 4 and watched from there and one year we did Animal Kingdom on July 4. Now the heat is a different animal to deal with compared to crowds…

They have holiday fireworks for MK on the 3rd and 4th. But they only have epcot forever listed on the 4th not a special show. Hopefully they are having their usual awesome show after Epcot forever. I just wish they would put it on the schedule. They also don’t have the parades at MK for July 4 week and I really wanted the times for planning reasons for lunch

Was at MK last year on the third for their July 4th show and I agree not at all crowded to the point of insanity. I prefer Epcot for the 4th. Seeing both "4th" shows last year I thought Epcot's was bigger, better, and more "patriotic". Also people were staking out their spots from afternoon in Epcot and we found a spot with maybe 30 minutes to go and it was beyond wonderful. I never understood why people think that's a good idea. The opportunity cost of claiming a spot all day versus moseying up to a spot a little bit before fireworks just doesn't seem worth it at all when the difference in view is usually negligible at best. To each their own?

Last edited:
We'll be there July 2-4 and plan to be in MK for the 4th, Epcot for the 3rd. (Now thinking of flipping those days if MK does fireworks both nights.) I'm also worried that it will be crazy crowded, but we have no real expectations other than being there. (Florida residents, annual passes, unexpected extra day off work to take advantage of.)

I was there July 4th week with my extended family (and a ball team) for 8 nights, but it was about 10 years ago. I was expecting huge crowds and tried to manage expectations. I was pleasantly surprised and we had a great time. It poured every day (and not the normal summer showers - I've lived in Orlando). It was lengthy, torrential, clear the park type rain. We threw on our ponchos and stayed when the crowds cleared out and had some very short wait times. If your budget allows, take advantage of G+ and ILL$ (maybe even just part of the time if that fits your budget). Be prepared for rain so you can take advantage of staying when others leave. For the 4th fireworks, we watched from the Ft. Wilderness beach where they did s'mores. Not sure if they do that anymore, but it was fun and something different to do. Go in with managed expectations, prioritize your most important things, and you will probably have a great time.

As a former cast member, I can tell you that the crowds vary year-to-year. One time, we had to decline entrance to guest starting at noon. They pulled all characters off sets due to crowds and people were routed through backstage to exit the park because of being unable to exit the park. Another year, the weather was bad and the parks were not crowded at all. It is a guessing game sometimes for the 4th.

I saw the title and expected this thread to be about the weather.🤪
In which case my answer would be Yes!!

Several years ago, I took a trip to Florida around the 4th. I only got tickets to after hours events. I was not about to attempt the parks in daylight. During the day we did indoor stuff - cake decorating at Amorette’s, a wine tasting class, bowling, maybe a movie. We did pay for one of those fireworks events to watch the 4th fireworks from Top of the World Lounge.

We did July 4th last year. The crowds were quite manageable. Loved the fireworks at MK on July 3, and at Epcot on July 4. The MK fireworks had multiple showings, Epcot’s only had one.

I find there’s many great places to view Epcot fireworks. For MK I usually time it for when CMs close the walkways and watch near the partners statue (like 30 mins before it starts?)

We go every year over July 4th, it is a family tradition. It is crowded but not as bad as other holidays. You just have to have a plan. We always go to MK on July 3rd. They have the special fireworks on both the 3rd and 4th. On the 4th we go to AK since it is the least crowded park on the 4th.

We will be at the BW too for July 4th. I’m excited! My friend has went in the past and said it’s really awesome there. Especially the Epcot show on the 4th

The only horrible thing about July is the weather. I don't understand why Summer isn't the slowest time of year.

We’ve done that week with GD for nearly a decade. Have a blast, literally lol

Look at the real feel temps for the week. I literally unpacked my suitcase and took out anything that had sleeves & wasn’t non wicking

We’ve honed our park schedule over the years, doing pool in AM. Not hitting the parks until 2 pm at the earliest

Highly recommend skipping MK on the 4th. It’s near gridlock. 3rd has same FW, far less crowded

On the 4th we do Epcot. Their soecial
After FW. Holiday FW presentation is heart stopping impressive

However, even the ‘secret’ viewing spots are staked out in both parks hours ahead of time.

We’ve done that week with GD for nearly a decade. Have a blast, literally lol

Look at the real feel temps for the week. I literally unpacked my suitcase and took out anything that had sleeves & wasn’t non wicking

We’ve honed our park schedule over the years, doing pool in AM. Not hitting the parks until 2 pm at the earliest

Highly recommend skipping MK on the 4th. It’s near gridlock. 3rd has same FW, far less crowded

On the 4th we do Epcot. Their soecial
After FW. Holiday FW presentation is heart stopping impressive

However, even the ‘secret’ viewing spots are staked out in both parks hours ahead of time.
MK on the 3rd and Epcot the 4th is the exact way to do it. As for the good spots staked out in Epcot I have no idea why people do that so far in advance. We strolled up to an amazing view with about half hour to go and there was still lots of room around us until about 10 minutes to. I hate the idea of sitting in one spot all day in the blazing heat wasting time just for a view that negligibly better than one grabbed with very little time until a show.

They have holiday fireworks for MK on the 3rd and 4th. But they only have epcot forever listed on the 4th not a special show. Hopefully they are having their usual awesome show after Epcot forever. I just wish they would put it on the schedule. They also don’t have the parades at MK for July 4 week and I really wanted the times for planning reasons for lunch
What do you mean, they don't have parades?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter