Is Knotts worth it?

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Hi there

My partner and I have booked our first trip to Disneyland for the first week in March. We have a 6 day pass and were planning to use the other day to do Universal. Is it worth making time to do Knotts as well, or would you recommend using the full 6 days to soak up the Disney atmosphere?

Any guidance much appreciated :-)

Lana

If you like big roller coasters then Knotts may be a fun side trip. They have some top notch rides like Xcelerator and Silver Bullet. However, the thrill level is much higher than what you would find at DLR.

You must go to Knotts not expecting DLR quality but simply wanting a fun place to ride some fun rides. For this reason, I would recommend seeing it earlier in your trip, if possible, so that you aren't always comparing the quality between DLR and Knotts because, really, they are two different places with their own specialties.

It's fun, if you go on a quiet day you can get the whole park done in about 6 hours with no problem.

You must go to Knotts not expecting DLR quality but simply wanting a fun place to ride some fun rides. For this reason, I would recommend seeing it earlier in your trip, if possible, so that you aren't always comparing the quality between DLR and Knotts because, really, they are two different places with their own specialties.

I'd say go with Universal. I have a hard time at Knotts. It's not as clean, the paint isn't fresh. I had the same problem at Legoland.

OMG you brought back memories for me. 1978 I was 14 and spent 1 1/2 months in CA with my girlfriends family. We did Disneyland and then did Knotts and I have to say it was worth it to me but hey I was 14 life was good.

Hi there

My partner and I have booked our first trip to Disneyland for the first week in March. We have a 6 day pass and were planning to use the other day to do Universal. Is it worth making time to do Knotts as well, or would you recommend using the full 6 days to soak up the Disney atmosphere?

Any guidance much appreciated :-)

Lana

Sooooo not worth it to do knotts--we did it last year, and all I could think about was "we are so close to dl right now, we could be there!"

and both of my daughters upchucked their dinner from Knotts--fried chicken--as soon as we left. It wasn't pretty!:sick:

I have found that going to other parks at the beginning of the trip is best, because while I do enjoy having more and different rides, when I go after DL I notice the trash, cracked pavement, gum, etc much more, having gotten used to Disney-style life as opposed to reality.

I went to Knott's with my husband because it was free for military members and their dependents. I don't think I would go if it wasn't free. It wasn't horrible in that I never feared for my safety or got sick or anything, but it certainly was no Disneyland.

I have very fond memories of Knott's from my childhood. I think if you go with an open mind you might be able to do the same. The park is not as busy as Disneyland.

If you go in with the idea of wanting to have fun with no "Disneyland-like" expectations, as previous posters mentioned, then you will have a great time. Our family went in with just that mind set this past July and had SO much fun! We ended up buying seasonal passes at the end of the trip so we could go back during our November Thanksgiving trip. Thank goodness we did...we were able to get away from the crazy madness of the Disneyland crowds for a day and have a nice time.

One thing our family found was that Knott's had better food choices in the park than in Disneyland and DCA. More reasonably priced too!

Edited to add: Just read about the previous poster having a not-so-positive experience after their chicken dinner. Sorry to hear about that. We'd been there several times to eat their chicken dinners at the restaurant at different times during the year and had absolutely no problems. Just wanted to add a positive experience to the mix. :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback! We might just play it by ear. I don't think I'll be fussed if get there or not, but if Nick wants to go then can just organise something on the day/day before. Universal is definitely a given :-)

One thing our family found was that Knott's had better food choices in the park than in Disneyland and DCA. More reasonably priced too!

More reasonably priced? Seriously? I thought Knotts had the most expensive food prices of any theme park I've been to yet (haven't been to DL lately, but went to WDW last year and go to Sea World regularly) - kids meals were like $9 - unless of course you wanted fries and a drink with it, then that will be an extra $4! $16 for a hamburger and fries counter service? I thought it was crazy expensive! We pretty much starved all day, picking up a couple of funnel cakes for 6 people to share and then stopping for fast food on the way back to the hotel.

We did like the roller coasters, though! There is not that much for little kids (my girls were done w/ everything in Camp Snoopy in under 2 hours), but the roller coasters were great for the adults. There is a very un-Disney atmosphere, tons of teenagers cutting in line and nobody giving a care. I think I'd rather be at Disney, unless I had a huge hankering for roller coasters. I don't regret going, though (especially since the resort we stayed at gave me 6 free tickets for attending a 2-hour timeshare presentation - so that made it extra appealing).

We went last summer. I had fond memories from my childhood and was not expecting DL but I can tell you we will not be back!! My family ranging in ages from 3 to 75 hated it. We found the kid rides meant for the very small child.....my small 9 yr old was too big for a number of the rides, but too small or not ready for the thrill rides. This left him with little options for rides. My young adult sons enjoyed a few of the thrill rides but were ready to leave after just a couple hours.

The food prices were crazy expensive.......for 5 cheeseburgers, fries, drinks & 2 kid meals it ran us $95......I almost passed out when I saw the total.

The atmosphere reminded me of a carnival with barkers (with microphones) calling you over to play their fair games to win cheapy prizes.

The bathrooms were literally covered with paper.....I couldn't even find the floor......I'm not exagerating.....it was horrible!!! I also stepped in 2 wads of gum in the first 30 mins.

Our family left after 4 hrs.

We did go back for the chicken dinner at Mrs Knott's restaurant & it was very good!! We will make the trip back over to go here again, but won't be in any hurry to go to the park.

This was our experience & everyone will have differing opinions & experiences....but thought I'd share how we felt.

Have fun on your trip!!

People talk about trash at Knotts or Six Flags quite often. I have to say that our last visit to DisneyWorld saw tons of trash. The worst was Space Mountain where a long distance of the line had tons of trash stuffed between the railing and the wall. It was obvious people had been doing that all day. At Disneyland I have seen trash along the ques for Indy as well. I've seen the same at Knotts but really can't say one is better at that than the other.

Knotts doesn't try to be Disney and vis-versa. I don't go to Knotts expecting Disney. Its a different experience and we always have a fun time. I'd say its better for teens and older. Small kids may like Camp Snoopy area and a few other attractions but its really for older folks.

I love the Knotts chicken diner thats outside the park. Very well known for a reason. Never had a bad meal there over many decades. Tons of history in Knotts that dates back before Disneyland. I first went there in 1967 as a young kid.

More reasonably priced? Seriously? I thought Knotts had the most expensive food prices of any theme park I've been to yet (haven't been to DL lately, but went to WDW last year and go to Sea World regularly)

Yes...seriously. I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. I've been to both within the last two months, and for what one gets and the quality of choices (and the amount you get when you pay), I, in my opinion, would choose Knotts over Disneyland for food choices any day....except when I go to Club 33, of course, :thumbsup2[/QUOTE]

Another positive review for Knotts:

Took 4 17/18 yr old teenage girls last summer to Knottts. We went before we went to DL. Everyone knew it was all about the rides. We were out for the thrills!

Bought entrance tickets in advance with Joe"s BBQ for $42 pp. Went from early am to closing late at night. Did all the thrill rides ( multiple times). Everyone had a blast.

The BBQ (lunch)was a great value purchased in advance and everyone enjoyed the break in a big barnlike hall. We ate dinner ala carte at an oriental type walk up service in Knotts. The food was like a Chinese fast food, was good and about $60 for all of us including drinks.

We took a bus from Harbour right in front of DL entrance both ways. It was about $1.50 each way pp iirc. Cab from DL are is $25 one way.

We had a great day and everyone enjoyed it. One day was enough, though! Planning another Knotts day in June for family of 5 kids ages 12-26!

Yes...seriously. I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it. I've been to both within the last two months, and for what one gets and the quality of choices (and the amount you get when you pay), I, in my opinion, would choose Knotts over Disneyland for food choices any day....except when I go to Club 33, of course, :thumbsup2
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was just that half of the restaurants in the park were closed last year during spring break, but that wasn't our experience at all. I remember wanting to eat at a 50's style diner - closed. Johnny Rockets? closed... so, maybe they just had the expensive ones with crummy choices open when we were there, but we were totally unimpressed...

Disneyland does so many things so well, but when it comes to food they suck. It's almost like they try to screw up the food. And the prices they charge are outrageous. Knotts Berry Farm was a pleasant surprise, much better food than Disneyland. Not cheap, but the food is a much, much better value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter