Is Kona Cafe breakfast really popular?

Pyxie

DIS Veteran
I made my dining reservations this morning and got ideal times for everything, except the only slot that came up for Kona Cafe breakfast was 7:50am. I took it for now and I'm hoping to modify to a time closer to around 9am, but I wasn't expecting the pickings to be so slim TBH. Is this more popular than I thought?

I made my dining reservations this morning and got ideal times for everything, except the only slot that came up for Kona Cafe breakfast was 7:50am. I took it for now and I'm hoping to modify to a time closer to around 9am, but I wasn't expecting the pickings to be so slim TBH. Is this more popular than I thought?
It's an easy, good, cheaper breakfast alternative so people hit it before the parks especially if not rope dropping.

Yes, it is definitely a popular place to dine, especially for breakfast. But keep monitoring now and then - I wouldn't be surprised to see other times open. Interestingly, my simple brain thought a 7:50am time might be more popular, as you can grab breakfast and then head to the parks. But clearly not what you're seeing! Good luck.

If you're staying at the Poly, it's a decent easy sit down breakfast and now that OHana is back to characters, definitely cheaper than that one.
EDIT: If it's a Saturday or Sunday, I imagine the later times might be gobbled up by people checking out and not going to a park.

Yes, it is definitely a popular place to dine, especially for breakfast. But keep monitoring now and then - I wouldn't be surprised to see other times open. Interestingly, my simple brain thought a 7:50am time might be more popular, as you can grab breakfast and then head to the parks. But clearly not what you're seeing! Good luck.

Right I thought so too. We actually don't have a park planned that day until AH that evening so wanted to sleep in a bit more lol.

Kona is actually pretty easy to get on the walk-up waitlist as well. If you are staying there I would just do that. For our stay this year we'll likely just plan to use the waitlist for there and Ohana. Obviously not a guarantee but I do sporadic checks for planning purposes and 9 times out of 10 I see it available. We also scored a reservation 1 hour ahead of time on one trip.

Kona is actually pretty easy to get on the walk-up waitlist as well. If you are staying there I would just do that. For our stay this year we'll likely just plan to use the waitlist for there and Ohana. Obviously not a guarantee but I do sporadic checks for planning purposes and 9 times out of 10 I see it available. We also scored a reservation 1 hour ahead of time on one trip.
Excellent suggestion. We didn't go to Kona last trip, but did use the app for walk-up at another restaurant. That feature is one not everyone knows about and it seems to work really well at most places.

Excellent suggestion. We didn't go to Kona last trip, but did use the app for walk-up at another restaurant. That feature is one not everyone knows about and it seems to work really well at most places.
It really does! We used it twice on our last trip for both Steakhouse 71 and even 50s Prime Time!

We have been looking daily for Kona reservations for our last day before flying out and can’t get them. I have signed up for 4 different websites to alert us if something comes available. We are definitely going to give this a try if we end up not getting anything before we go. I didn’t even know that feature was available. Thanks for that! I learn something new on the disboards every day!

We have been looking daily for Kona reservations for our last day before flying out and can’t get them. I have signed up for 4 different websites to alert us if something comes available. We are definitely going to give this a try if we end up not getting anything before we go. I didn’t even know that feature was available. Thanks for that! I learn something new on the disboards every day!
Yes, it's newer since COVID! Just go in the app, select today and Now for the time and you'll see everything available. You can even get character meals that way!

So I'm actually not so sure this was an availability issue vs an IT issue. I decided to search for 3 people instead of 2 and found a 9:05am that I was able to grab and then modify back to 2. This is a much more ideal time for us.

We were able to do walk-up with Kona in Dec when it said there were no times available for breakfast!

VERY popular, and not just people stay at Poly.
Been going for years and years.

Is the Tonga Toast as good as it’s rep? I have a breakfast ADR for one of my MK days
I think it's good and certainly worth a try! But the reason I keep going back is the Pineapple Macadamia Nut pancakes - holy smokes!

So I'm actually not so sure this was an availability issue vs an IT issue. I decided to search for 3 people instead of 2 and found a 9:05am that I was able to grab and then modify back to 2. This is a much more ideal time for us.
This is pretty much par for the course when booking any kind of dining for one or two. More often than not playing with the party size will show more availability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter