Is late January or Late February better?

Poohmom

Earning My Ears
Hi!!

We are a family of 5 who want to stay at PO (with trundle bed). Which time of year would be better... late January or late February? We want to avoid crowds and get a good resort rate.

Also, if I book now and a discount code or special comes out, can I call CRO and get the better rate for the room we booked? I know that was a past option, but it's been a while.

Thanks ahead for your help.

Poohmom, the last of Feb will be warmer but they are both low crowd value season times. Be careful of the high use times around the Feb holiday. We book through DU and they track the rates and automatically get them reassigned, one more level of relaxation for us.

Sorry to butt in here but what is the February holiday? I'm Canadian so I don't know all the American holidays.

Originally posted by Tulip
Sorry to butt in here but what is the February holiday? I'm Canadian so I don't know all the American holidays.

The big one is presidents day weekend which was the weekend of the 16-18th of Feb this year.

We went last January during the week of Martin Lurther King Holiday. Visited all four parks. Hardly no lines, much better than our previous trip of July 4th (never again). Temps were great! Brought sweaters, light weight jackets, etc. could have used sandals, shorts and tank tops. We had a blast in the warmth of the Florida sun! :p

Around the middle of February the room rates increase. We were there this past Feb. Arrived on the 13th which was the last day of the 'value season' - we got all of the days at the 'value' rate. We had mixed weather - needed sweatshirts a few days, it actually poured for two days straight!!! The only time is was actually crowded was Saturday - but that is nothing unusual. Yes, you can change & get a lower rate if something shows up after you have booked your room.

It's really hit and miss for the weather this time of year. But either time, the crowds should be light. With the exception of the actual holiday itself (like MLK day) there are hardly any lines. You have to remember that if it's a holiday for you then it also a holiday for Florida residents. That means any within close proximity could show up for the day.

Also, you would think that Feb would be warmer, but last year it was the complete opposite. We were there over MLK day and it was record highs, my kids never took shorts off --- even at night for dinner. I packed way too many clothes! My BIL and his family went over Presidents Day in February and it was quite cool.

It's quite unfortunate that you plan months ahead of time and ultimately you can't be sure of the weather. Just plan for anything and definitely take swimwear. We would have been lost without it last January.

Either time is good, both times have low crowds.

The only thing I comes to mind about late Jan is the Super Bowl. When it was in Tampa, people came over to Disney the following week, which made it a little more crowded and the discounts weren't as good as they usually are at the end of Jan. Just check to see if the game is in Florida. Thats the only thing that sticks out in my mind. Hope that helps.

When does the value season end in February? Does anyone know when President's Day will be in 2004? Trying to plan early as it's a surprise for DH's 30th.

The last day of value time is usually the Wednesday before the President's day weekend. We usually check in on this day and get the value season rate for the whole time period. (For 2003, President's day is Feb 17th, so I would assume it would be Feb 16 for 2004)

Thanks for all the help!! I'd like to get the value season rates, so we'll most likely plan for January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter