Is Ohana really that bad now?

Our last trip to WDW was 2010. Back then, Ohana was a must go, every time. I am now hearing that things are very different post COVID. Cold food, average flavors, no entertainment, no hula dancing, etc.

1. Is it really that bad now?
2. If so, what else would you recommend for someone who LOVED the old Ohana?
1. Yes and No, good food, but rushed service.
2. Ohana! If you loved it, give it another shot. You might still enjoy the experience.

We are going back in April mainly for Flower & Garden Festival, just made our dining ressies and O'hana was first on my list. We have been going there for many years and have always enjoyed our complete experience. Have heard of people feeling rushed - we have never felt that, and have always gotten more food even before we asked. Haven't been back since Covid and will miss the skewers, but hope to enjoy it none the less.

We have eaten there several times over the past 15 years and it's just been so variable from food and entertainment being good to food being greasy to food being fine but, now, zero entertainment. IMHO, for the cost, I would much rather go to a really, good signature menu and just order a la carte.

Our last trip to WDW was 2010. Back then, Ohana was a must go, every time. I am now hearing that things are very different post COVID. Cold food, average flavors, no entertainment, no hula dancing, etc.

1. Is it really that bad now?
2. If so, what else would you recommend for someone who LOVED the old Ohana
Went in 2012, 2019 and then again in 2023. Biggest difference in 2023 was no kid games or activities, and no walking around with skewers of meat. Now it's family style. We enjoyed it very much and look forward to our upcoming trip there too.

My wife and I were fans of 'Ohana for years and years and years. It was a "must do" for us. Then, the changes... Shrimp casserole? YUK. Family style serving? Not the same experience. Getting rid of Auntie? Unacceptable. We stopped going in 2020.

Fast forward to this year. We were taking the 6 year old grand niece. She's not going to enjoy the restaurants we enjoy, so let's figure out where she'd enjoy eating. 'Ohana made the cut. We went. We enjoyed it.

The bread, pot stickers, noodles, wings, and salad were as we remembered them. The request for more pot stickers resulted in our group of four being given a large bowl with at least 20 of them in the bowl. More bread? No problem. The shrimp weren't peeled, and weren't delivered by a guy wielding a large skewer, but they were good sized and tasty. The other meats were largely forgettable. I thought the beef was better this time than the last time I was served it from a skewer. Dessert was largely the same. I thought the ice cream portion was larger. A request for a second dessert was immediately granted, and when we polished that off, the waiter asked if we'd like another. I'd rate the service about the same. I noticed, when we left, that we were there for 75 minutes. Previous dining, when they had skewers, was about 90 minutes. I guess it's more leisurely when you eat a little and then wait for the next skewer. I didn't feel rushed at all, and the courses didn't pile up to rush us. And there was an entertainer with a very cool skeleton electric ukulele with a lovely voice. I noticed there were coconut races as in the past, but I always felt that was a bit chaotic for others who were trying to enjoy their dinner, so I'm not missing those.

We'll go back again.

This was a must-do for us for a long time but I agree with others who suggest it's changed over the past few years. I think the change started long before COVID-19, however, more with the increasing popularity of the restaurant over the past ten years.

While I still think it can be a "fun" meal it is no where near what it was. The thing that finally drove us away was the insane pace they tried to push you through your meal. The food has never been amazing but at the price points they charge I don't want plates stacked up on each other. I want time to enjoy my drink before you shove appetizers across the table and I do not want to see the dessert before you even think about clearing dinner plates. It was just a very big turn-off for us.

Now you want to charge me the $30ish the food should be priced at based on its actual quality, I will handle the being pushed.

We ate there a few years ago and enjoyed it. Their new menu seems like cheaper entrees and higher prices that aren't worth the cost. Some people also seem unfamiliar with the format and expected to order individual items from the menu and then wait for it to be prepared. Good to know the format of any restaurant to avoid surprises. We never felt rushed, but with the same items served to everyone, the dining experience is different from other places.

The service style is actually good if you have small children since they aren't very good at waiting for their food to be prepared. Similar to a buffet, you don't have to wait for your specific dish to be cooked and you don't order off of a menu. Some of the people posting negative reviews didn't seem aware of that.

It wasn't very good 2 years ago, so not sure if it changed. Pre Covid I loved it. Now, don't

The meat was raw. Dessert wasn't the same. Missed the shrimp skewer. Just lost its vibe for me. Wings were tasteless. Chicken did nothing for me. Noodles were good, but for the price you pay, I expect the meats to be good, since those are the most expensive, and they just weren't.

Not terrible by any means, but a shell of what it use to be

I think the salad, bread, sides and dessert are still really good. The meats have gone downhill since prior to the closure. The quality of the steak and chicken has been a little hit or miss and not up to the past.
I agree with this…the meats have definitely gone down in quality. The rest is still reasonably good.

I would rather do breakfast at character dining. How is the breakfast at Ohana?
I can say that amongst the AYCTE character breakfasts that Ohana is one of the worst in my opinion. We've done them all the last two trips we've been on so I have 2 direct comparisons. Of course my tastes can be very different than yours but I'm a big fan of breakfast so take it for what it's worth.

Hollywood and Vine has the best offerings. So does Tusker but Tusker can be a little "adventurous" for some in their supplemental breakfast dishes but I love it. Tusker wins hands down for ambience. Garden Grill comes in a close 3rd since they give grilled steak with ranchero sauce. Chef Mickey's and 'Ohana breakfasts are close enough where I would give the edge to 'Ohana for vibe and ambience. I love Lilo and Stitch but no way that makes the price worth it for the very basic breakfast they give you.

I have only been once (January 2024) so I cannot speak to if it’s better or worse than before. But what I will say is that everyone in my group (4 adults) thoroughly enjoyed the meal. While we all had items we liked more than others, we all left full and satisfied! We didn’t feel rushed, the ukulele player was a highlight, and all agreed we would happily return…but not too often because of the price. Really, the only thing we didn’t enjoy about the meal was the check lol

IMG_7603.jpegIMG_7604.jpegIMG_7605.jpegIMG_7608.jpegIMG_7607.jpegIMG_7609.jpeg

This question gets asked every other week on here, and these threads always go exactly the same: a bunch of people swear it's gone downhill, and a bunch of other people say it's fine. All that means is that it's incredibly inconsistent, which is true of many Disney restaurants on property. We very much enjoyed our dinner there last May and didn't find it rushed or subpar or the meats awful or the service indifferent. Others have had different experiences. At the end of the day, you've got to look at the price and consider whether or not it's worth it to you to roll the dice. I enjoyed it enough that I absolutely would, but I'm also not paying for an entire brood of people.

I can say that amongst the AYCTE character breakfasts that Ohana is one of the worst in my opinion. We've done them all the last two trips we've been on so I have 2 direct comparisons. Of course my tastes can be very different than yours but I'm a big fan of breakfast so take it for what it's worth.

Hollywood and Vine has the best offerings. So does Tusker but Tusker can be a little "adventurous" for some in their supplemental breakfast dishes but I love it. Tusker wins hands down for ambience. Garden Grill comes in a close 3rd since they give grilled steak with ranchero sauce. Chef Mickey's and 'Ohana breakfasts are close enough where I would give the edge to 'Ohana for vibe and ambience. I love Lilo and Stitch but no way that makes the price worth it for the very basic breakfast they give you.
My granddaughter loved Hollywood and Vine. She loves Doc McStuffin. We are going to go back this year per her request. I enjoyed it and thought the food selection was great.

I will have to think about 1900 Park for breakfast if we decide Ohana is too chancy. I could always try Chef Mickey for breakfast also since we will be at BLT.

This trip I want to get in 2-character breakfasts and Hoop Dee Do over our 9 days.

Tusker House will wait until we book AKV.

I would rather do breakfast at character dining. How is the breakfast at Ohana?
My mom and I did breakfast at Ohana in Sept. It was ok. I'd heard rave reviews about the pineapple bread they serve but I actually found it fairly dry and just meh. Everything else was typical of breakfast of a character breakfast (although definitely am putting Tusker House on our list for our next trip to see how that is). I really did enjoy the character interactions and thought that was the best part. I definitely wanted pics with Lilo and Stich. If I were traveling with a kid, I'd put it on the list. Although, as far as character interactions go, I thought Garden Grill was awesome (although it did border on awkward as the characters came around so many times! 🤣

My granddaughter loved Hollywood and Vine. She loves Doc McStuffin. We are going to go back this year per her request. I enjoyed it and thought the food selection was great.

I will have to think about 1900 Park for breakfast if we decide Ohana is too chancy. I could always try Chef Mickey for breakfast also since we will be at BLT.

This trip I want to get in 2-character breakfasts and Hoop Dee Do over our 9 days.

Tusker House will wait until we book AKV.
If you're looking for straight up breakfast and not the setting or the characters then I think Chef Mickey's is the safer call. Plus being at BLT is a no brainer on that. Definitely try Tusker it's superb!

Although, as far as character interactions go, I thought Garden Grill was awesome (although it did border on awkward as the characters came around so many times! 🤣
I know what you mean haha! We always want personalized character interactions but at Garden Grill it almost gets to the point you want to wave them on and say thanks but it's enough!

We just go to the Tambu Lounge and get the wings, potstickers, noodles, and bread pudding. It ends up being so much cheaper this way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter