Is Ohana really that bad now?

I kept hearing how bad it was so I decided to just get the noodles and wings from Tambu Lounge. They were awful. The noodles were way too sweet and the wings were tough and chewy. We ate about 1/4 of both dishes. I hate wasting food (and money) but I wasn't going to force myself or my family to eat what was presented to us. I was thankful I didn't waste even more money on a Ohana Reservation.

We were there last Thursday and thought it was still a great experience. I can’t say we actively missed the meat coming around on skewers, but now that we’re talking about it I agree that was better than the food coming in big bowls. But we would still rank ‘Ohana among the top meals on property.

We still enjoy it. The meats are not *as* good as they were (specifically the chicken and steak), but they were never my favorite part of the meal anyway.

True but the meats are the quality of why the price is so high, so if they aren't good, they shouldn't be charging the price they charge. I'm not spending that kind of money just for some noodles and shrimp that isn't anywhere as good as they use to be lol

Once upon a time, a meal at 'Ohana was a treasured tradition of every Disney trip my family took (of course, this started back in 2011 or so, when it cost half as much). Not so anymore, since it became another casualty of WDW's "charge more and give less" cutbacks.

At $62/pp, a meal for my family of four would now run at least $310 after tax and tip. I don't mind paying that kind of price (e.g., for Hoop-dee-Doo) when the meal is an "event" that includes live entertainment or something else really special, but 'Ohana has stripped away all the ambiance (live entertainer, open grill) and uniqueness (e.g., meats served tableside, the fan-favorite honey lime salad dressing, the decadent caramel banana bread pudding) that made us fall in love with it in the first place, and the food quality is no better than our favorite Chinese take-out place at home. (Actually, it's worse, if we consider that the Chinese take-out place at least peels and deveins their shrimp before serving!)

I'm glad for those who still enjoy it, and don't want to discourage others from giving it a try for the first time -- because if you haven't been before, you won't be dismayed by what's missing -- but my family enjoyed the "old" 'Ohana so much primarily because of... well, all the things Disney has since taken away from it. Now that those things are gone, we'd only be setting ourselves up for disappointment by returning.

Last edited:

We recently went there for breakfast for the first time since our kids adore Stitch. I feel like it was worth it for the whole experience for the kids, since they were so excited the entire meal, and Stitch was great with them. The food wasn’t as varied or exciting as some other character meals, but what we did have was hot and cooked well, and our kids liked it. It was plenty for us and we couldn’t even finish the initial serving. We had a good table location where we could see the castle and were close to the windows. Our server was attentive but didn’t rush us. Our 3yo is still asking if we’re going to go eat there and see Stitch again.

We haven’t gone for dinner in years, but did recently get the potstickers, noodles, and bread pudding at Tambu Lounge, and they were all good. I really loved the Twilight Feast option to get the Ohana meal in your room, but I don’t think that’s returned.

My first visit to OHana was in 1996 and it pales in comparison to what it used to be. My last visit was in 2010. Enough said

We went to O'Hana in March 2023 over spring break for dinner while staying at the Polynesian after several years of not going. While we were looking forward to the meal, we walked away thinking it was a complete waste of time and money and cost us $320+ with automatic tip for us (me, my wife and two girls 12/14 at the time).

There is no way at all it was worth that or even half that in our experience. My wife has a gluten allergy and while it was addressed, food was brought out at different time for her as well as service was very slow and we never even got drink refills and felt rushed to finish.

We will not be going back to O'Hana - maybe ever. For us, it is a far cry from the experience we had when we ate there after getting married at the GF in 2006.

Agree with previous posters in saying it's going to be wildly subjective, but since opinions were requested...

We had never been before, went Jan 2023 for our first time. Hubby and I are love good quality food and have no issue with an expensive meal if it's justified by good food & service. This was the most expensive meal of our trip, and of all our meals the one we enjoyed the absolute least. Steak and chicken were tough and not enjoyable in the slightest, shrimp was beyond messy (peeling greasy seasoned shrimp is NOT fun). Apps were good, dessert was delicious, but this was absolutely a one and done for us.

My wife and I are going for the first time in April. Looking forward to seeing how our experience compares to a lot of others. I think one thing you have to keep in mind is that the price is not just for your food. It includes the ambiance and the view too. Hopefully, we hit on a night where the food matches everything else pretty well. If it doesn't we will have experienced the meal and location and won't feel the need to return.

We just got back from a trip in early Feb. and had the Ohana breakfast and my family really enjoyed it. It's a very fun atmosphere with Stitch.

Ohana dinner last May: very unimpressed! I wanted to love it all, but not the case. Huge potential, but complete miss for me. Will need to try again to be fair, but too many other place I want to try.

If you've never been to 'Ohana before, you will enjoy it.

Compared to visiting 'Ohana several times from 2005-2015, 'Ohana now is much poorer quality. It used to compare, in my opinion, to a Texas De Brazil or other nice steak restaurants like the Palm. 'Ohana now, in my opinion for dinner, is similar in quality to an Outback steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, or Longhorn. Not bad, just not the same. Still an enjoyable experience.

I have eaten breakfast at 'Ohana twice since the beginning of COVID. Once before they brought characters back, with a 7:30AM reservation. It was wonderful and food was perfect! Another time at 11:30AM after characters had returned. Food tasted stale and was cold. Based off this, I imagine the later in the morning your reservation is, the more likely you are to receive food that's been sitting. Highly recommend visiting 'Ohana breakfast earlier in the morning.

Well, we're going to be trying Ohana for the first time in May. We've delayed and delayed hearing people complaining that it's worsening, but we figure it's time to find out ourselves! We love the whole vibe at the poly and the tiki terrace has amazing drinks, so overall the evening will be a win no matter what!

If you've never been to 'Ohana before, you will enjoy it.

Compared to visiting 'Ohana several times from 2005-2015, 'Ohana now is much poorer quality. It used to compare, in my opinion, to a Texas De Brazil or other nice steak restaurants like the Palm. 'Ohana now, in my opinion for dinner, is similar in quality to an Outback steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, or Longhorn. Not bad, just not the same. Still an enjoyable experience.

I have eaten breakfast at 'Ohana twice since the beginning of COVID. Once before they brought characters back, with a 7:30AM reservation. It was wonderful and food was perfect! Another time at 11:30AM after characters had returned. Food tasted stale and was cold. Based off this, I imagine the later in the morning your reservation is, the more likely you are to receive food that's been sitting. Highly recommend visiting 'Ohana breakfast earlier in the morning.
FWIW, I had a late breakfast time and it was definitely not food that had been sitting around. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter