Is renting DVC Points worth it, can I save $$

NHBelle

DIS Veteran
I really can't afford a studio, but am looking into renting points and I think it looks worth it, but maybe I am missing something. I could really use some advice. We are going for 2 weeks, I was thinking Sunday-Sunday in August. I did the points calculator and its 211 to stay at BWV Studio so if I mulitply that by $10.00 (average cost to rent points) that equals 2110.00 Isn't that about the same as getting a moderate hotel?? I would LOVE to be in the Epcot resort area. We have stayed at the Dolphin and just love that location. I also read we can buy the dining plan and get ME too. I am thinking this plan is perfect. Am I missing something. Isn't a studio like 315.00 per night? That would be around 4410.00 for two weeks vs renting points for 2110.00. Thats a huge difference.

There is risk involved in renting. You get a great deal on an otherwise expensive room but you are renting from someone you don't know. Disney is not involved in the transaction at all. You really have to find someone you can trust. The owner of the points does all the reservations for you, you have no control of them. $10/pt is also the low end of the spectrum.

We've rented DVC points twice now, from two different owners. So far, so good. There is some risk, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself. Get references, use a contract, pay via Paypal if possible, etc. Look at the DVC boards for more information on how to protect yourself.

We like renting because we love the extra room, the washers and dryers, and the ability to buy the dining plan without having to buy tickets. I'd also say that $12 per point is aboput what you'll need to pay to get someone with references.

Good luck!

I rented from a friend for a week at Saratoga Springs at $9 point. It was for a studio and ended up being less than a grand. It was an excellent value. I wouldn't hesistate to do it again if it was someone I knew or got references on. Plus you can add the dining plan and pay for it when you arrive.

Average cost per point is moving up to about $12 a point. Many DVC members won't take Paypal any more because of problems some have had with it and potential problems. You may have to pay the full amount to make the reservation. Most assuredly, you will have to have it paid off at least 60 days ahead of time. Most members don't allow changes or cancellations. If you cancel, you've lost what you have already paid. Disney won't get involved in any problems you might have with the owner.

I see your quoting 211 points for BWVs is this for a standard view room? If it is you should be aware that they are only around 10% of the rooms they have and they fill up VERY quickly(sometimes right at the 11 month window). Preferred views are of pool, gardens and of course the Boardwalk.

I see your quoting 211 points for BWVs is this for a standard view room? If it is you should be aware that they are only around 10% of the rooms they have and they fill up VERY quickly(sometimes right at the 11 month window). Preferred views are of pool, gardens and of course the Boardwalk.

Probably closer to 20%, but there isn't likely to be availability for August regardless. Boardwalk View is also around 20% and also books quickly.

The biggest thing to keep in mind, in my opinion:

You are renting a TIMESHARE from an INDIVIDUAL - not a hotel room from Disney. If you arrive to a screwed up reservation, Disney will say "too bad, so sad" and you'll be out your money - plus needing to get a hotel room at Disney and pay rack rates because you are standing there. Because its a timeshare, cancellation will be very different - if you can't go, the owner may be UNABLE to work with you even if they were WILLING (and no guarentees on the willing). There are significant savings, but the savings exist because there is some risk. Few people get scammed, but it does happen. Its more likely that your Uncle Joe will die, or your kids will get the flu, or something will come up at work and you won't be able to travel and you'll be out the money.

I'm always nervous when people who can't afford the hotel room book on points - they are at the most risk if something goes bad. Its one thing to say "well, if our reservation gets screwed up, I'll kiss $1200 goodbye and book over at CBR for the trip" and not have it REALLY impact your life. Its another thing to be standing at the desk watching a vacation you scrimped to afford disappear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter