Is sharing frowned upon?

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
If my husband and I decide to share the DDDP since it's so much food, are we able to get extra plates in the nice restaurants?

Not frowned upon, it's often done. Keep in mind if you are sharing unless you do a lot of 2 TS credit places, you are going to have a lot of credits left over. If you haven't already bought it and are thinking its a lot of food, I'd suggest paying out of pocket.

OP, with the DxDP, you pay per person, and everyone in the same room must have the same plan. If you think the DxDP is too much food and often share meals, you'll come out ahead skipping the dining plan altogether and just paying cash for your meals.

If my husband and I decide to share the DDDP since it's so much food, are we able to get extra plates in the nice restaurants?
What do you mean by "share the DDDP?"

Everyone on the reservation mush have the same plan. You'll each get 3 credits per day on the deluxe plan. Sharing meals will only leave you with even more credits.

Everyone on the reservation mush have the same plan
My husband and I were thinking of buying the DDDP for he and I, then sharing with my grown daughter and her husband (in another room). That way each couple shares an entree, dessert and appetizer each meal.

My husband and I were thinking of buying the DDDP for he and I, then sharing with my grown daughter and her husband (in another room). That way each couple shares an entree, dessert and appetizer each meal.

You are allowed to use your credits any way you like. You can purchase meals for other people with your credits. Since you will get 3 TS meals per day, consider eating only 2 meals (which is really more than plenty, especially if you go a late breakfast and early dinner. You can even use your snack credits for muffins/danish juice, ice cream to hold you over until your meals if youre really hungry). Then you have 2 extra credits per day, which will allow one of the meals to be covered for the other 2 people. Then only share one meal per day.

We always get the deluxe and end up leaving WDW with many credits. We just cant eat 3 meals per day with app and dessert. We eat buffet breakfast around 9:30 and dinner around 5. If we are truly starving, we'll get a snack in between...but that is rare.

Not all meals will be large enough to fill you up. My sister and I shared at Le Ceiller one time, and the side of asparagus was 4 stalks. We each got 2. Yipee.

Oh, and depending on the plan, you appetizer may not be covered.

1) MrsRustyScupper and I always split entrees.
2) And usually appy's and desserts. **
3) There is never a problem, and at most ala carte eateries, the kitchen splits the entree onto two plates before presentation at the table..

** However, I do not share my "Ooey-Gooey-Toffee-Cake" at LTT.

I personally would still just pay cash and let everyone get the food they want to get, sharing meals as desired. Forcing two people to agree on an entire meal in the name of saving money in such a weird, cheap way would never occur to me.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes you can share in order to "gift" credits to someone else.

[Forcing two people to agree on an entire meal in the name of saving money in such a weird, cheap way would never occur to me./QUOTE]
To each their own. I think it sounds like a fun challenge! As far as being cheap, we don't have an unlimited budget like some people on these boards may have, so sharing appetizers, entrees and desserts three meals a day for $50 a person is a bargain in my thrifty mind.
I realize these boards are meant to gather opinions as well as facts, but I'm surprised sometimes with the rude comments.

You are allowed to use your credits any way you like. You can purchase meals for other people with your credits. Since you will get 3 TS meals per day, consider eating only 2 meals (which is really more than plenty, especially if you go a late breakfast and early dinner. You can even use your snack credits for muffins/danish juice, ice cream to hold you over until your meals if youre really hungry). Then you have 2 extra credits per day, which will allow one of the meals to be covered for the other 2 people. Then only share one meal per day.

We always get the deluxe and end up leaving WDW with many credits. We just cant eat 3 meals per day with app and dessert. We eat buffet breakfast around 9:30 and dinner around 5. If we are truly starving, we'll get a snack in between...but that is rare.

May I ask why you always buy this plan if you always have many credits left over? Seems like it may be cheaper to just go OOP.

Doesn't the deluxe plan give you 3 TS credits per day? Do you really want to spend that much time at TS meals? Just something to think about.

(Disregard if I am incorrect about the components of this plan.)

I think it sounds like a great idea! You know your travel party, and what they might order. I find the portions at Disney World to vary so much, and I hate to throw food away (and it isn't always practical to have leftovers), so with this option you can always supplement with an extra salad or dessert. Or save dessert for later. Years ago we had 2 rooms with our kids, and I think we put 3 of us on the dining plan in one room, and left 2 off on the second room. It turned out just right, and we ended paying for very little out of pocket. To answer your original question, we haven't found sharing to be an issue at all.

May I ask why you always buy this plan if you always have many credits left over? Seems like it may be cheaper to just go OOP.
There are 5 of us, myself, hubby and 3 kids...and occasionally my mother. We typically stay 10 - 12 days. We like the dinner shows and signature dining. Most days we will use all 3 credits. 1 for breakfast, 2 for dinner. Some days we can only use 2 credits. In 12 days, with 2 - 3 - 4 days of only 2 credits x 5, we have 10 - 15 - 20 credits left over. If I did all the math, Im sure we are losing money, but for me having the trip prepaid and the meals where my kids, now older and can go to the parks themselves with their magic bands and get a meal if they want without having to think about paying is worth whatever extra I am paying. I prefer to not do the math. This upcoming trip we will have to do the math. My daughter will miss a week of school and her math teacher has already told me her assignment will be just that. DxDDP vs OOP. Ughhh!

Last edited:
I personally would still just pay cash and let everyone get the food they want to get, sharing meals as desired. Forcing two people to agree on an entire meal in the name of saving money in such a weird, cheap way would never occur to me.

WE share often. I can well afford to pay for whatever foods we want but I really hate to throw food away, and in Disney we dont have the means to reheat leftovers. No one in my family is ever forced to agree on a meal, but we usually have two if us who do tend to eat the same things, so there is no hardship if we split an entree. In my opinion, respecting the food we order enough to consider if we will eat all of it instead of tossing it out is not cheap and not at all weird.

WE share often. I can well afford to pay for whatever foods we want but I really hate to throw food away, and in Disney we dont have the means to reheat leftovers. No one in my family is ever forced to agree on a meal, but we usually have two if us who do tend to eat the same things, so there is no hardship if we split an entree. In my opinion, respecting the food we order enough to consider if we will eat all of it instead of tossing it out is not cheap and not at all weird.
I don't disagree with the practice of splitting meals, I just disagree with splitting the DxDDP as it was never intended to be used. I think the OP would be much better off paying cash for all meals.

I don't disagree with the practice of splitting meals, I just disagree with splitting the DxDDP as it was never intended to be used. I think the OP would be much better off paying cash for all meals.

We actually have no idea how the DxDDp is now intended to be used. The verbiage changed about 18 months ago, loosening up how credits can be used. It is my belief that Disney did this intentionally because folks were moving away from purchasing their dining plans in favor of paying OOP and not being tied to spending all of their dollars in disney restaurants. If you used the plan two years ago you woudl not have been able to share your credits with anyone not on the plan, so if you had 4 people on your package, and 5 at the table....you bought no more than 4 meals. This was enforced. It is no longer the case.

We actually have no idea how the DxDDp is now intended to be used. The verbiage changed about 18 months ago, loosening up how credits can be used. It is my belief that Disney did this intentionally because folks were moving away from purchasing their dining plans in favor of paying OOP and not being tied to spending all of their dollars in disney restaurants. If you used the plan two years ago you woudl not have been able to share your credits with anyone not on the plan, so if you had 4 people on your package, and 5 at the table....you bought no more than 4 meals. This was enforced. It is no longer the case.

I wasn't aware that the rules had been changed so recently! Thanks for enlightening me. I just truly believed if Disney didn't care about people sharing credits, they would have structured the credits and the purchasing of credits differently.
I still think in general, for people who like to share, paying OOP makes more sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter