• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is staying 14 nights on property too long?

We dont mind moving hotels, I think that's different for everyone.
Pop is great but it gets old quick... mostly because of lack of personal space. We dont need a kitchen because I am on vacation. Staying in a suite ( like aoa) is nice because you are not on top of each other.

So many great choices, especially with a 14 day trip. I'd definitely split it, or even stay 3 places (5/4/5 days), depending on if you don't mind moving. Start with the cheapest/smallest, work your way up to the biggest. I'd probably do 5 days at POP, and hit each park once with a pool day in there. Then move to a mid range place (Ft Wilderness Cabins maybe, for something really different). Rent a golf cart to enjoy driving around the resort, grill dinner 1 night on your little deck (so nice to do after eating every meal out). Then move to a Disney villa (1 bedroom preferably, if it's in the budget). You'll have a washer/dryer in your villa, kitchen, living room, separate bedroom. Boardwalk Villas or Beach Club villas are a great location, being on the Boardwalk and having other things to do, and easy transportation to 2 parks.

Very exciting to plan!

Our family of 4 have always stayed on site, sometimes doing a split stay with Universal. The rooms aren’t huge so you have to be well organised and tidy. The fringe is small but big enough for some milk and juice so that you can at least manage breakfast in the room. We’ve mostly stayed at deluxe resorts and find the balcony is great for that extra bit of space and separation.
One of the main advantages to staying on site has been the early fastpass booking window but who knows how that might change going forward.
We loved the Poly, very relaxing resort with lovely pools and that gorgeous beach. These are the biggest rooms we’ve stayed in (not sure how they compare to BC) but the bathroom wasn’t ideal as everything is in the one room. In other resorts the washbasins have been separate from the shower and WC allowing for more than one person to get ready at the same time.

I don’t think it’s too long. I think it sounds like a wonderful holiday. You won’t have to bother with renting/hiring a car. You won’t have to bother with driving to/from the parks daily. If some of your group wants to leave the park but others want to stay, you can easily do that and it’s not a big deal.

No, it's not too long. We often do it, traveling from CA. There have a few short getaways when we were already on the East Coast traveling, but I don't count those really...I know, I probably should, but I don't cuz they are too short.

USA here and I cannot imagine traveling all the way from the UK and not doing 2 weeks! Our flight is under 2 hours and we try and do 8-10 nights. I would do 14 in a heartbeat if my husband would take that amount of time off work! Lol.

I mean, each family is different, but we just did 4 nights at Pop before our stay at a villa at Bay Lake. My kids are almost 13 and 10. Pop was too small for us. We would need to book 2 rooms next time. (I mean, 2 of us did get a stomach bug, so that probably didn’t help, but the deluxe rooms are so much bigger in comparison). If the lower cost is a goal your first week, I’d be inclined to consider renting points for a studio at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs or, if you book early enough, a value room at Animal Kingdom and then moving to a larger villa. Or, just booking a villa for the whole stay.

You can rent points for a 1 bedroom villa for not much more than a 2 week stay at Pop Century in a preferred room. You'd get the best of both worlds, staying onsite and also having a full kitchen.

We stayed 10 nights at AKL and I would not do it again. We did love it but the main problem for us was the lack of food options. If you do stay onsite for the full 14 days be sure to choose a hotel with many food options. For a stay that long you will not be eating in the parks every meal every day for certain.

Agree with everyone who supports the long trip! We have done it even with a baby :) and we do long split stays, too. I think the longest was just under three weeks, nearly a week at each of two Disney hotels (Dolphin and Bay Lake Tower) and then maybe 4 nights at Royal Pacific at Universal. We did a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake that time in part for the kitchen and the washer + dryer because our youngest was YOUNG, but on all of our other trips we had "regular" hotel rooms and it was great. We like the laid back vibe of a longer trip. Lots more pool time, lots more relaxation, and we feel like we both get more done and have way less stress about it. Weather issues don't faze us and we can stop and enjoy the details more, and repeat everyone's favorites. Have a wonderful trip!

We usually go for 2 weeks and have done a split between off site and on property. We have also done the entire time on property and split between 2 different resorts. It was nice to try 2 differentresorts, have a change of scenery, and still have the Disney experience.

We usually do 12 nights. We include about 3 - 4 days at the waterparks. 12 is just enough. Really 10 would be ideal, but since the 10 day ticket pass is the best option and we dont go to the park the day we arrive or leave, we usually do 12 nights.

To us, 2 weeks would be too long. When in FL for many weeks, we like to stay at the beach followed by a week-long stay at WDW.

We're doing a 2.5 week trip in Jan/Feb and we're staying on-site. I've done this before and this what I can say helped me personally to make it feel both worth it and comfortable:

1.) As others have mentioned, there's less pressure to be in the park from open to close. You can very easily go to the park in the morning, take a nice break in the afternoon when it's the hottest (and it will be very hot in the middle of the day), then head back to the park in the late afternoon/early evening. Whenever I do this, I get tons of rides in, I feel rested for being in the parks at night, and I'm just happier overall. If I stayed offsite, I would not take that break in the middle of the day.

2.) Doing a split stay helps break up the monotony of staying at a hotel vs a condo/apt/villa type of place. Changing the resort makes it feel exciting all over again, like you're going on a second vacation! We are doing a split stay with Yacht Club & Poly. Both resorts are great places to relax at and will put you in close proximity to the park. Especially if you choose BC. From there you can walk to HS or EP. You can also take a boat or the Skyliner to HS. But Poly also has some good options for getting to MK (boat, walk, or monorail). You can't go wrong with either.

3.) It's easier for us to split up during the day. We are going for 2.5 weeks next year so that my husband will have lots of rest time. He will be in the parks for 2 days, then take a day off to rest at the resort. Staying onsite makes it easier for us to split up. If we stayed offsite, I would be leaving him without a car while I went to the parks. But with us staying onsite, I can head to the parks if he decides to join me later in the day, he can very easily.

Honestly, I've never gotten bored with staying onsite for long trips. But I spend a lot of time at the parks or enjoying the resort pools. I also don't like cooking on vacations, so having a kitchen is not a necessity for me. I'd say at most, we eat a quick breakfast in the room before heading out. Also, we don't have kids, so when we go to the pools, if it's a little too loud for us to relax, we just bring waterproof headphones.

Anyway, I know how we do things is a little different. But long story short, I find staying onsite helps keep me in that magical bubble. I'm a Disneyland (in California) local and I find that driving to the parks when I go and not staying onsite always makes me miss the WDW bubble. I'd much prefer to just be able to wake up in the resort onsite and either walk or use resort transportation to get to the parks.

Ooh, I forgot to mention this...Check out Disney in Detail on YouTube, she is from the UK and regularly does 10-14 day trips to WDW. I think almost every one of her trips is a split stay and she doesn't spend every day in the park. Some of her trips she'll spend part of them offsite but she does have a few where she is on-site and staying at 2-3 resorts. She seems really excited each time she switches, likes it's a brand new vacation. It might give you an idea of what it's like staying on-site for 2 weeks coming from the UK.

The non-main pools and Disney Springs are usually quiet early in the day. You can also go resort hopping to the different moderates and let the kids use the playgrounds. They're almost always quiet, and in the larger resorts they're secluded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter