Is the Cabana on CC Actually Worth the Money?

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
I was really thinking about trying to reserve a cabana, but the cost is over $500. I imagine having your own little spot to go back to and your own reserved hammock is nice, but are the benefits worth the money? :confused3

I was always wondered that as well. I love the idea of a private spot, but I am cheap :)
I am always able to find a nice private-ish area on the family beach and enjoy wandering around the Cay. We take the bikes or go snorkeling, and then spend time at Cookies; when we are tired we go back to our cabin to relax. Not worth it for us, but I know other people do love them. Depends on how much time you want to actually be in the cabana and use it.

in my opinion yes, we've been lucky enough to have had one the last two cruises and now we're going concierge on the bigger ship just for the cabana... it's the definition of paradise in my opinion, but we also justify the cost by using our credit cards rewards points to pay for it

We have had one-they are nice, expensive. We spend our day there aside for some snorkeling-so worth it to us. What something is worth is subjective. Each trip, we decide if it is in the budget- if it is and we can get one-great. If not, just like a previous poster, we carve out our own piece of paradise.

I, personally, do not find it to have the value that should go with that price.

I had a VERY hard time leaving the cabana, because we had paid for it, but I really didn't like the cabana all that much. the inside of it (especially as I was changing from my 5K clothes into a swimsuit) was hot and muggy. The outside...the loungers had cloth-covered cushions, which just gross me out to think about all the sweat and whatever else might be on those cushions.

My son liked the hammock, but spent about 10 minutes in it.

Husband and son used the mats and I think snorkeled but for some reason I just couldn't deal with leaving the cabana. The mats and snorkeling are such a small price compared to the cost of the cabana that I couldn't wrap my head around using them. DS couldn't ride a bike well at that point (but was too big to have training wheels) so we didn't use that.

Because of that, I couldn't like it. $200 less and it would have been fine for me.

But...Castaway is my 2nd fave private island out there (should I ever be invited by Richard Branson to his island I'm sure it would be bumped to 3rd), even when just finding some loungers and maybe an umbrella. I don't need a hammock (my skin marks up way too much for the rope hammocks!). Get off the ship, do the not-quite-a-5K, run back to clean up and grab breakfast and meet DS and DH (who slept in so they are more cheerful), head to the island, get in the water a little bit, put on my 30spf, and lounge all day. DH is generally kind enough to bring us lunch. Ah, nice day.

I don't need a cabana there. If I had liked it more I would say it's gilding the lily, but having the cabana just added stress (must enjoy it 100% of the time and have ALL the fun!!!!) for me so it was almost a negative for me.

(DH and DS do not have the same issues and will be sorely disappointed should we cruise DCL again, because their personal in-house TA won't be trying for a cabana)

That is such a personal choice. 500 to some for up to 6 people to enjoy (I believe they charge an additional charge for the next 4) is not that much money. It is under a 100 a person. For others that could be half their month income and since DCL was a massive splurge to begin with they aren't going to find the value in a cabana.

With that said Cabanas are always worth it to me. I get overheated very quickly and as much as I love the sun and water it makes me very tired very quickly. So a Cabana is a small price to pay for me to be able to stay out on the island all day, not get sunburned, and have some where nice to rest when I needed it. I also love that I don't have to hunt for a beach chair and hope the party I'm with gets chairs together in the shade.

It was worth it to me on my Magic cruise - granted it was on Serenity Bay, so a tad cheaper. I took my parents on the cruise, and had already reserved it just because but we found out a few weeks before leaving that my dad is going to have to have hip replacement surgery. He has a cane and walking a lot is painful right now. So it turned out having the cabana with a golf cart a button press away was a godsend for him. CC would not have been a long or fun day if he was having to walk between chairs and the restroom and lunch.

When I am solo? Probably not worth it again. Probably. :P

I was really thinking about trying to reserve a cabana, but the cost is over $500. I imagine having your own little spot to go back to and your own reserved hammock is nice, but are the benefits worth the money? :confused3

it was worth it for my elderly mom and cancer patient sister..
but for myself or the rest of my family (DH, DD, DS etc), it's not worth it at all....
we're very active and don't stay in one place on CC at all....

so the answer is 'it depends'...
what is it you like to do on CC?
the answer to your question will depend on that..

We think so. We have had a Cabana on every cruise since they were first introduced in 2010. We have always considered it our excursion for day. We are a family of 5, so we easily spend $500+ for tours and/or other activities at other ports. I think we are just cabana people, we book them on other cruise lines' private islands as well as pool cabanas at some resorts.

It seems as though many guests do feel they are worth the money, however my opinion is no, not for me. That is a lot of money and I wouldn't get much use out of what they offer. But like everything, the value is up to the individual.

Unless you are Platinum or Concierge your chances of getting one to reserve are slim to none, even for the adult beach. I was on the Fantasy in January and by the time they opened to Platinum only two people in our cruise group were able to snag a cabana. Gold and Silver had no chance. Closer to the date a couple of them on the adult only beach came available (and were quickly snagged) but nothing ever opened on the family beach. If are sailing on the Magic or Wonder you might have a little bit better chance.

It depends. The serenity bay cabana that we booked is going to be used by 4 people. It comes a little over 100$/pp... That is a lot of money but considering that my FIL has problems with his knees and (I got by a car 16 months ago) one of my knees is still recovering and can be a pain in the butt sometimes, I think it's going to be useful and worth the price.

Unless you are Platinum or Concierge your chances of getting one to reserve are slim to none, even for the adult beach. I was on the Fantasy in January and by the time they opened to Platinum only two people in our cruise group were able to snag a cabana. Gold and Silver had no chance. Closer to the date a couple of them on the adult only beach came available (and were quickly snagged) but nothing ever opened on the family beach. If are sailing on the Magic or Wonder you might have a little bit better chance.
I would agree with your comment on a little easier to get in the magic or wonder but that will be until they add the 10 cat V concierge rooms in a few months then they will be hard to get also.

I would agree with your comment on a little easier to get in the magic or wonder but that will be until they add the 10 cat V concierge rooms in a few months then they will be hard to get also.

That's when they may need to consider assigning them based on concierge level. IMO, considering the major price difference between a Cat. R and V, the Cat. R should at least be guaranteed a Cabana.

We love the cabana and would do it every time. We find the following the best benefits:
1. Safe to store valuables
2. Hammock
3. Free sunscreen, sand toys, rafts, snorkel gear and bikes
4. Private plane to eat lunch
5. Fridge with cold drinks, waters, fruit and chilled towels
6. Privatish beach that isn't crowded.
7. Dedicated server for drinks
8. Lots of fresh clean towels.
9. Fresh water rinse off shower
10. Place to get out of the sun or rain
11. Cushioned seating where our DD can take a nap.

Can't wait to have one on both legs of our upcoming B2B!

We were silver on fantasy when we got ours. So yeah it is harder to get but happens. Also if is not uncommon if you the first or even second family on the waitlist to get a cabbana as people cancel or the ones they hold don't get booked. (i've been told they hold 1 or 2 back each cruise for concierge who change their mind or VIP who may ve on board.

We were silver on fantasy when we got ours. So yeah it is harder to get but happens. Also if is not uncommon if you the first or even second family on the waitlist to get a cabbana as people cancel or the ones they hold don't get booked. (i've been told they hold 1 or 2 back each cruise for concierge who change their mind or VIP who may ve on board.
Oh that's great! Hmmm good guess I'll keep trying everytime I'm going to CC, you never know :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter