• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the Canon XT worth the extra $$ ??

pozey

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>I think I would ra
I think I have DW convinced to get me a new Digital Camera for Christmas. I have told her that I would like a new Canon Digital Rebel.

I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel film camera.

Is the Canon XT worth the extra few hundred bucks over the price I could get the 6.3 megapixel Canon Digital Rebel?

I love to take lots of pictures - kids, vacations, school functions - that sort of thing. Just a hobby.

Would the 6.3 megapixel version satisfy me?

Are you sure it would be a "few hundred bucks over the price" of the original Digital Rebel?

BuyDig has it for $744, with the current $75 rebate(which can be trippled) that is $675 after rebate NO TAX and FREE SHIPPING. How much does the first rebel go for?

And yes IMO even if it was a "few hundred bucks" more, it is so worth it. You really do not want to buy a camera at the end of its life cycle.

To me, the biggest difference betwen the two is the XT starts up almost instantly, has very low noise @ 800 and 1600 ISO, and writes to the card much faster than the original Rebel. The XT will take about 14 continuous shots whereas the Rebel will only take 4 before the buffer is full and the camera has to write the pictures to the card. The original is a great camera but falls short of the XT in a couple of places. Oh, and BTW, the XT is a small camera for an slr. Some feel too small, especially many Digital Rebel owners.

Thanks for the replies.....

And thanks for the heads up for the price on buydig.com

From what I had found, I was thinking the price for the original digital rebel was about $650 and the XT for about $899.

If you have a Rebel EOS, I'd definitely recommend going to a local camera shop to hold both and check them out. I'm 5'10" and don't have small hands. The Rebel XT felt too small in my hands, my pinky finger didn't fit on the camera anywhere and felt awkward under it. It just felt cramped. I know the goal is smaller and lighter but it was just a tad too small for me. That is totally a YMMV thing though!

DH and I love ours!!! Just purchased about a week ago (DH brought home as a surprise since I've been begging to have before our trip). Anyway, we had an older Rebel, and have successfully used our other two lenses with the new camera. Had a chance to really play with it at a family fish fry on Sunday.....the pictures are amazing! And how fun it was to actually load them up that night and flip through a slide show immediately, instead of waiting weeks before I decided to make a trip to the Wal-Mart for photo processing. I say go for it.

We did purchase ours at Circuit City and are sending for the rebate. But that's just because DH was impatient. There are several websites, including BuyDig that someone else recommended, that have better pricing. And if you already own Canon lenses that will work, you can purchase the body only for a lot less $.

we got the rebel xt for WDW 2005 vacation and took it to nascar race to see how we it works and the pics came out great. even when the cars were passing by at 195 mph. great camera.

The XT, as someone mentioned before, has nearly instant start up and 3 fps via the new DIGIC II processor.

And I can +1 for buydig.com, as that's where I got my XT. Ordered on Tuesday, in hand by Friday (to the Chicago area). Hassle-free.

WeLubDeeDub said:
The XT, as someone mentioned before, has nearly instant start up and 14 fps via the new DIGIC II processor.

Sorry but there is NO WAY that the XT shoots at 14 frames per second.
Without looking up specs I recall the the 1dsMII shoots at 8 fps and that costs over 7 thousand bucks.

go to the canon site and do a side by side comparison of features. I have the digital rebel but would go for the XT if I could. It has a faster shutter speed and faster continous shooting sequence not to mention the better pictures with the higher pixal rate. If you don't shoot sports, you probably don't need the higher shutter speed or faster continous shooting capability. If you do lots of photography, then you'll like the digital rebel but wish you had the better camera just because it's the better camera!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter