• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the EPCOT map still printed upside down?

TinkAgainU

Trust In The Pixie Dust
My last trip (January 2023) that map made me crazy - it's the Only map I've ever seen with North at the bottom.

Is there actually some logical reason the map is upside down? Hoping they finally fixed it ;)

Maps for Disney are created looking at them from the entrance. It has been this way for many years.

Basically, open the map and walk forwards and like you are walking into the map. E.g. MK starts walking up Main Street towards the hub.

I'm not sure all others feel it needs 'fixing'. Some will, some won't. I don't use a park map using NESW (never enter stinky washrooms) but rather by how they flow through the park. But, that's just me. LOL, I never have a clue where N is when I'm at Disney whereas normally I do.

Last edited:
I realize now the California Adventure map is printed upside down too. Guess we can skip teaching kids to read maps at those three parks ;) It makes sense in a the-sun-revolves-around-earth (Disney as its own world view) sort of way LOL

I never really thought about where North is on the map, but as I don't navigate based on the location of the sun it has never bothered me. It reminds me of this "upside down" map from 1955 designed for those driving down to Florida, that I would have quite liked if I had been around back then.

map.jpg

I realize now the California Adventure map is printed upside down too. Guess we can skip teaching kids to read maps at those three parks ;) It makes sense in a the-sun-revolves-around-earth (Disney as its own world view) sort of way LOL

Just teach them that the first step to reading a map is to find the compass rose and verify the orientation :)

Maps like those are designed for people who don't have smartphones and are navigating from the entrance. The only reason you would need to know the orientation is if you're using a smartphone, whereupon you would not need a physical map, you can just use the map in the app.

For the record, this is the Epcot map from Opening Day, October 1, 1982.

epcotmap1982.jpg

It's an aesthetic choice, too. For most of the 2010s, Disney had the DHS map oriented N/S, and it was weirdly unattractive and hard to follow. (Same as how it's in the app now - it's weird seeing the back of the Chinese Theater, since it faces NE.) They switched it back to SW/NE in 2020.

It just looks so much nicer in this orientation. (I like this particular design a lot - admittedly old, pre-BAH.)

WDW_DIS_Studios.jpg

Maps like those are designed for people who don't have smartphones and are navigating from the entrance. The only reason you would need to know the orientation is if you're using a smartphone, whereupon you would not need a physical map, you can just use the map in the app.

View attachment 803477
What I just noticed is that the map you have here, was "pre-" International Gateway! That's so cool! We went to Epcot just once before the International Gateway was built, and I've always wished we'd taken pictures so that we could see how Disney had to change the landscape to add the International Gateway.

What I just noticed is that the map you have here, was "pre-" International Gateway! That's so cool! We went to Epcot just once before the International Gateway was built, and I've always wished we'd taken pictures so that we could see how Disney had to change the landscape to add the International Gateway.
Oh my, I never thought of that! I wonder whether someone else has photos of that area. Was there already a bridge between England and France? I imagine the waterway was there, for drainage if nothing else, but maybe not?

Unfortunately, there aren't that many great photos of that area (since it wasn't something worth paying attention to at the time), but you can get some decent glimpses of it in the Opening Day booklet.

In 1982, part of the channel between France and Great Britain wasn't there. The bridge closest to France was there, but the other bridge segment that's there now (bottom left of this pic) wasn't there. There was essentially a moat that ran all the way around Epcot - but it looks like the inlet just made a hard-right turn and ended without reaching it.

I'd guess the latter picture is from early 1982 - Great Britain seems to be missing - it would be just to the right of where the bridge is. But it's interesting how much more obvious the moat was then than it is now.

novdisneyland17067f.jpg

novdisneyland17067b.jpg

View attachment 803477

What?! There were 4 Bus Stops in World Showcase. Wow, plus the 3 boat docks.

And don’t forget to pick up extra film from the many many Kodak locations lol.

I like entrance-oriented maps, that’s how I ‘see’ the park in my head. It’s doesn’t have to have a road-map set up. And I’m pretty good at be directionally aware.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on a ‘south-up’ map? Just to challenge our sense of direction…..since a north up is how we have learned…we could be looking at south is up instead!

What?! There were 4 Bus Stops in World Showcase. Wow, plus the 3 boat docks.
There was a double-decker bus that used to drive the circle around the lagoon. They lasted until the mid-90s.

doubledecker.jpg

And don’t forget to pick up extra film from the many many Kodak locations lol.
Actually - those are "photo spots" - in theory, "ideal locations" to take great photos with your camera (that hopefully has Kodak film in it).

(To be fair - I think every gift shop had Kodak film in it lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter