• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the genie worth it

I was planning on using it for our August trip along with Standby Skipper.
We’re going in August also. Hoping we won’t need to purchase it if crowds are lower than recent crowds. Can’t help but wonder if the large discounts being offered this summer possibly means reservations are down a bit? We can only hope!

Have you used standby skipper before? We are trying it this go around for the first time because I hate spending the time on my phone that genie plus requires.
I have not.

Read some articles and watched some videos about.

I figured in the overall spending Disney requires $45 is worth taking a chance

I have not.

Read some articles and watched some videos about.

I figured in the overall spending Disney requires $45 is worth taking a chance
I felt the same- it’s a bargain if you’re taking the plunge for genie plus in my opinion. I’ll report back on how it goes, we will be there next week for the spring break crazy!

At a minimum it will take that first LL off your plate if you are trying to grab a spot in the virtual queues with the rest of humanity lol

Last edited:
I felt the same- it’s a bargain if you’re taking the plunge for genie plus in my opinion. I’ll report back on how it goes, we will be there next week for the spring break crazy!

At a minimum it will take that first LL off your plate if you are trying to grab a spot in the virtual queues with the rest of humanity lol
I will definitely look for your post

Just got back from our spring break trip. We went to the park 5 days and bought G+ once on our AK day (only because everyone was sleeping in and I was afraid we wouldn’t get to do everything).

My wife I noticed would get kind of upset with me if I told her we had to walk to Expedition Everest because our G+ time window was closing soon while standing in Pandora, or Kilimanjaro Safari while standing in Dinoland. One thing you end up doing is zigzagging to make all your windows. Yeah you could reschedule, but later in the day that option is not always possible.

In contrast, when we didn’t have G+ it made for a much more spur of the moment planning. We weren’t frantically racing across the parks to make time windows. Made for a much more peaceful experience. Even during spring break, I didn’t feel like the standby lines were that bad. During peak times we would do less popular things and saved the popular stuff to the late evening. We are from the west coast so staying up late was no sweat for us. I also should mention we had access to extended evening hours of which we took full advantage.

I also should mention we had access to extended evening hours of which we took full advantage.

I sure hope those stay a perk.... for us they were a great value. And strangle almost no one seemed to be taking advantage of them. Back when it was all resort guest it would be packed, but I guess deluxe guest like sleeping in more?

But really should be one night a Hollywood as well.... I get AK can't with the animals.

Note: Discussion of Standby Skipper is not to be held on the boards as they require you to link them to your MDE as Family and Friends.

Comments moving forward will be deleted.

our last few trips, we have purchased Genie +. while not great, it has helped when used skillfully. however; as the price seems to keep going up, there must be a point where it's not worth the money. Where is that point? As people keep purchasing it at higher and higher prices, we don't know where that point is, which means the price will only keep going up until they reach the lower number of Genie + purchases per day that they want.

For people who infrequently visit Disney World, the cost of Genie+ is still a rounding error when you are spending hundreds of dollars a night for rooms and $15 for "quick-service" meals. If you make annual or even more frequent trips to Disney, then I could argue that it's not worth yet another tariff. Your time and your memories are valuable, and there are plenty of other ways to save money at Disney.

I've bought Genie+ several times for MK (the only park wheer I find that it makes sense for us). That was all in the good old days of <$20. I seriously doubt I'll pay the new $35 rate when we go again in a couple weeks. My wife and I are okay with standing in a modest line, or just skipping whatebver attraction if the queue is too long. If I buy G+ next time it might be besaically me paying $70 so we can ride Jungle Cruise. That just doesn't add up.

I might could live with the money grabbing that Genie+ feels like... if it wasn't such a hassle to use. You have to be up and ready by 7AM, you take what you can get when you can get it. And hope that the you'll be able to fit in your already made ADR or plans for park hopping. Fastpass allowed you to plan your day in advance... if you didn't book a last minute trip.
^^^this. 100%. I will pay for convenience, but having to wake up before 7a every day to hope I get 1-2 good rides between LL and ILL SUCKS. We are here now and I’m just over it. We bought it 2 of the 5 days. We stacked in Epcot yesterday, but all the times we got were afternoon so we got zero pool time. If they allowed you to pick times and changed it to booking at like 7p the night before, I’d like it a lot better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter