Is The Grand Floridian worth the points????

MarylandPizzaman

Mouseketeer
I have been with DVC for a few years now and have mostly been using my 300 points at BWV. I have never stayed at TGF and wanted to see what you fellow diser's have to say about using DVC points for a stay there.
I would appreciate any feedback or opinions anyone would care to offer. :teleport:

Thanks in advance to all who respond to my question and I hope this thread will benefit others as well... :flower:

if you want a concierge stay try it.........it is very nice.................and it is always a nice change.

Personally, I found the GF to be the most disappointing hotel experience at Disney. I expected world class service to go with those prices and found... "All Star" service...

I don't happen to think any of the non-DVC resorts are "worth the point cost". Even with spectacular themeing, they are still "just a hotel room" to me.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'm not fond of the Grand Flo. We've stayed there a couple of times as part of an event package. Last time we had an absolutely dismal view from our patio.

It's a beautiful hotel, but a bit to hoity-toity for me.

Does the theme of the GF appeal to you? If so, by all means give it a shot, it is a most beautiful resort.

I might however recommend to pay cash (buy an AP or AAA for the discount) instead of using points, unless you will lose the points anyway.

Except for the actual space in the rooms, the GF has everything that the DVC resorts have and more, and has the best location on Disney property for the MK, and some fantastic restaurants, and of course the monorail.

We took a last-minute trip to WDW last month and there was no room at any of the DVC properties, so we decided to splurge and stay at the GF. We stayed in a garden view room for 5 nights, but our room was in Conch Key and we had a view of the marina and the lake.

The room was fabulous. The pillow-top mattresses and pillows were the best we've had at WDW. We had them bring us a fridge and a microwave which they set up in the dressing area and both were very convenient.

Every single CM we encountered was more than pleasant, and we loved being right on the monorail. The GF also has a nice little perk as far as Photo Pass -- they're the only resort that has a machine where you can view, order and print your photos. :)

All in all, we had a great stay, and would gladly stay there again. :)

I think the points are too high for the non-DVC resorts, BUT we like to try out the different resorts. So what we do if book the resort we want to try for our first day. Then we stay at that resort all day. We usually have dinner at the resort's restaurant, the girls enjoy the pool, and we basically just take in all the special points of that particular resort. THEN we move the next day to a DVC (where the points are lower) and finish out our vacation.

DJ

Well personally I bought points not only to stay at DVC resorts but non DVC as well. It makes it easier that I have already pre-paid my room accomodation there. So I would stay there on points and not think twice about it.

Like a few others, I was NOT impressed with the GF. I stayed there, thinking it would be a fabulous, luxurious vacation, and was greatly disappointed. As CarolA said, the service wasn't the best, and I found the room to be a bit on the small side. While the view from my room was wonderful (unobstructed view of the Castle) and it was convenient to have the monorail right there, I would rather be at BWV or OKW any day.

Just to clarify regarding the size of the room. A room at the GF will be bigger than any studio at DVC (and more comparable to OKW studio). The rooms are beautiful, with nice furniture and linens, etc.

Regarding the value, that is somethign no one else can judge for you, you have to judge for yourself.

We absoultely love the GF, but prefer to pay cash when we stay there then spend the high number of points required.

MisterDisney said:
Just to clarify regarding the size of the room. A room at the GF will be bigger than any studio at DVC (and more comparable to OKW studio). The rooms are beautiful, with nice furniture and linens, etc.

Regarding the value, that is somethign no one else can judge for you, you have to judge for yourself.

Hmm... I got a dormer room and it certainly felt smaller then a studio at any place.

Also, I cut Disney NO slack on the service here. I had the opportunity to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando.... Disney's ads etc. make you think this is comparable. It is in NO way comparable.

We loved the vaulted ceilings in the dormer rooms. Made it feel much bigger than flat ceilings.

CarolA said:
Hmm... I got a dormer room and it certainly felt smaller then a studio at any place.

Also, I cut Disney NO slack on the service here. I had the opportunity to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Orlando.... Disney's ads etc. make you think this is comparable. It is in NO way comparable.

You can "feel" any way you want, but look at the hard data, GF rooms are larger than DVC studios:

Grand Floridian 400 sq ft
Beach Club Villas 356
Boardwalk Villas 359
Old Key West Resort 376
Saratoga Springs Spa 355
Wilderness Lodge Villas 356

And who was comparing GF to Ritz Carlton?

The GF is my favorite resort. Is it worth the points, to me it is, but everyone has their own opinion.

MisterDisney said:
You can "feel" any way you want, but look at the hard data, GF rooms are larger than DVC studios:

Beach Club Villas 356
Boardwalk Villas 359
Old Key West Resort 376
Saratoga Springs Spa 355

(this response is not directed at you MisterDisney. :) )
Basically, they're all the same size. Sure, a GF room is 45 sq/ft larger than a studio at SSR, but 45 sq/ft isn't even a noticable difference. It's only a 9' X 5' area.

Don't decide based on the size of the room, because basically they're all the same. If you want to try GF just to see what it's like, and you want to splurge a little with your DVC points (because after all you only live once, and what's life without splurging from time to time :sunny: ), then go for it!
You may love it or you may hate it, but you won't know until you try it. :flower:

MisterDisney said:

Beach Club Villas 356
Boardwalk Villas 359
Old Key West Resort 376
Saratoga Springs Spa 355

Just FYI - these are averages. Not every room is that size. There are rooms at the GF that are smaller than 400 Sq ft - IIRC, the dormer rooms are among them.

Best wishes -

We've stayed at the GF a few times and I love it.

But I would rather save my DVC points for nights at BCV and pay cash for a GF stay using discounts.

MisterDisney said:

Beach Club Villas 356
Boardwalk Villas 359
Old Key West Resort 376
Saratoga Springs Spa 355

Thank you, no disrespect to anyone on this thread, but can we please compare Disney to Disney and let this Ritz Carlton thing go. If one prefers to stay at the Ritz then please do, but when someone asks about a Disney resort I see no reason to bring the Ritz into it. Maybe on the Orlando board would be a more appropriate place for that.

Also some on these forums have one bad experience and they never let it go. I have had bad experiences at all Disney resorts. You can not go as often as we do and not have them. Law of averages. However we went back and had a great time. And we had a bad experience we contacted a manager right then and it was dealt with. End of that story.

To the OP, the Grand Floridian is a wonderful resort, with beautiful grounds, great staff and if you desire to use your points there, then go for it, they are yours afterall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter