• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the Hoop Dee Doo show good or is it a nostalgia thing?

Jen81NYC

Mouseketeer
Hi, my ADR window opens up in a couple of weeks and I’m unsure whether to go for HDD—staying at the Poly for 6 nights in April, family of 4, two boys 7 and almost 10. I thought I was gonna try for it but a 2 hour show (plus at least an hour more with transport) is a pretty big chunk of one’s day!

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours? Versus hanging out the Poly or doing a shorter ADR? Or is it a legit highlight not to be missed? I’m lucky to live in a city with a lot of shows, in case that’s relevant at all. Also, this is our last trip to Disney for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks!!

Resort TV1 just went to this show

Here‘s the link if you’d like to watch to help make a decision

I haven’t watched this video yet (we’re big fans of Resort TV1 and we’ll watch this video soon). They start off at Wilderness Lodge and then go to the show, so you’ll need to fast forward if you don’t want to watch the whole thing.

I’ve always wanted to take my kids to this show and it never happened. Every year I’d say next year and then I ran out of next years - LOL!

We went to it just before the pandemic hit. We live in Toronto so have been to lots of shows as well.

It was a fun performance. Yes it is corny but it’s in good fun and we enjoyed ourselves. We don’t drink but the food was good and the atmosphere was rowdy but still wholesome. (I had my 4 year old with us and she had a blast.)

We went to it just before the pandemic hit. We live in Toronto so have been to lots of shows as well.

It was a fun performance. Yes it is corny but it’s in good fun and we enjoyed ourselves. We don’t drink but the food was good and the atmosphere was rowdy but still wholesome. (I had my 4 year old with us and she had a blast.)
Thanks! Would you say it was worth the 3+ of your evening it takes up? I guess that’s where I’m struggling with! If it’s a worthwhile outing or if it would be better to just hang out at the Poly pool

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh
If that was your impression of the clip, I'd skip it. I adore the show but it's 100% kitsch, corny, cheesy (but in an on-purpose way, not an oh-my-goodness-this-is-embarassing way). If you don't enjoy that type of thing and don't think you'd be able to get yourself into the schtick, your time and money is probably better spent elsewhere.

We went for the first time in 2018. I thought it was going to be corny and not so funny but it was hilarious. We had a really good time. DD12 loved it. It’s not something I need to do every trip but it was worth the transportation and time.

Thanks! Would you say it was worth the 3+ of your evening it takes up? I guess that’s where I’m struggling with! If it’s a worthwhile outing or if it would be better to just hang out at the Poly pool
It’s a night out kind of thing, not a FOMO “squeeze it in because I have to” thing so you can rush back to a park and spin in a teacup. An evening at the pool later would be a nice cap to the evening, if that’s your thing.

It’s a night out kind of thing, not a FOMO “squeeze it in because I have to” thing so you can rush back to a park and spin in a teacup. An evening at the pool later would be a nice cap to the evening, if that’s your thing.
Absolutely. Fort Wilderness is a wonderful place to spend time both before and after the show. It shouldn't be rush-in, rush-out.

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours?
Corny probably is a good description of the HDD. But it is really engaging to watch. The show doesn't actually go on for the full 2 hours. You eat during the breaks in the performance.

If you and your family are fans of old, weird Disney attractions like the Country Bear Jamboree, the Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, etc, it's a must-see. My kids and I love that stuff! But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
That's a good way to put it.

Thought experiment: Do you cheer and laugh and participate enthusiastically on Jungle Cruise? Or do you ride it out of obligation because it's a classic but find the jokes kind of tired and lame?

The former group of people should love Hoop, the latter group would not.

Hi, my ADR window opens up in a couple of weeks and I’m unsure whether to go for HDD—staying at the Poly for 6 nights in April, family of 4, two boys 7 and almost 10. I thought I was gonna try for it but a 2 hour show (plus at least an hour more with transport) is a pretty big chunk of one’s day!

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours? Versus hanging out the Poly or doing a shorter ADR? Or is it a legit highlight not to be missed? I’m lucky to live in a city with a lot of shows, in case that’s relevant at all. Also, this is our last trip to Disney for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks!!
I say don't bother.

We love it! Never miss seeing is and really missed not seeing it while it was down. That evening of food and entertainment is a legit not-to-be-missed for me. Silly and very corny show with a fun cast and servers - and darn good food

Since you are unsure and three hours of your evening might be wasted if you don't enjoy it I say skip it. It isn't for everyone. Do a shorter meal and hang out at the Poly. I bet your boys love that pool!

Thanks all! Although I’m still torn, argh, lol. But leaning more towards skipping it. Has anyone done storybook dining by any chance? I’m between those two for a special night out

I think its the good kind of corny that is worth your Disney time and $. We have done the Storybook meal and loved it as well, but it really doesn't compare to the show that HDD puts on. Before seeing it the 1st time I thought I'd hate it but now its a must-do. I think a previous poster put it well when they said if you laugh at the Jungle Cruise jokes and enjoy COP, you will prob like HDD. The food is good too!

Full disclosure: as you may be able to guess from my user name I'm a stagehand - been in live theatre my entire working life - so I'm partial to shows. We enjoy the character meals but not nearly as much as shows.

Getting to spend a little personal time with the characters is so much fun, the theming at Storybook Dining is terrific and the food is good. For you it will be a smaller chunk of your day and if your boys really want to spend some time with the characters (and they really do make an effort to spend some quality time at each table) then Storybook Dining is the better choice for you.

We went on Thanksgiving with our 15 and 11 year olds and we all enjoyed it. Food was delicious, and they do a great job timing when all the food is served, so we were never just sitting around. The show is corny but the performers do a great job and are very entertaining. It was fun watching the audience interaction too.

That's a good way to put it.

Thought experiment: Do you cheer and laugh and participate enthusiastically on Jungle Cruise? Or do you ride it out of obligation because it's a classic but find the jokes kind of tired and lame?

The former group of people should love Hoop, the latter group would not.
I’ve only been to Disney once and the sound on our jungle cruise ride was low so we actually didn’t get to hear the jokes well! My kids do love the JC movie but not exactly a good comparison there, haha

I think the corniness is the one of the reasons to see it! I think @CaptainAmerica's take on it is pretty good. But you don't have to be someone that gets involved to enjoy it .

Your kids may love it, or maybe not (depending on what they find funny - do they like campfire skits?)

I honestly feel HDD is a not to be missed Disney World experience... and I'm more of an introvert type person.
We did it with our whole family (kids 5, 13, 15 at the time) and with the in-laws. Everyone really enjoyed it. It's probably one of our best memories of that trip.

It's corny, but the actors are very talented (at least we were when we went back in 2013) - they interact with the audience and ad lib as needed. I'd say it's the best dinner theater show I've been to (not that I've been to many).

so, yeah, sorry, I'm probably not helping :) in the time I spent writing this you've gotten a couple of conflicting recommendations. I've never done StoryBook Dining, so I can't compare... but I think it really comes down to what you think your boys would like better.

I may be biased... I saw HDD review as a kid (maybe 6?) back in the late 70's - and I still have some found memories from it.

Full disclosure: as you may be able to guess from my user name I'm a stagehand - been in live theatre my entire working life - so I'm partial to shows. We enjoy the character meals but not nearly as much as shows.

Getting to spend a little personal time with the characters is so much fun, the theming at Storybook Dining is terrific and the food is good. For you it will be a smaller chunk of your day and if your boys really want to spend some time with the characters (and they really do make an effort to spend some quality time at each table) then Storybook Dining is the better choice for you.
I really appreciate your input, thanks!

Thanks all! Although I’m still torn, argh, lol. But leaning more towards skipping it. Has anyone done storybook dining by any chance? I’m between those two for a special night out
I've done both.

Been going to Disney since it opened and couldn't force myself to go to HDDR (I live in the land of hoop dee doo) until 2015. My DD was there on DCP and she wanted to go. Took her and DS#1, booked CAT3 (which I was very happy with). Good fried chicken meal but then I could we can get that anywhere around me. I feared the show would be "country" but it is more a "cowboy saloon comedy". We had fun, but I have never been inclined to do it again. And we go very often and don't mind "wasting" time but it just wasn't enough for the money and travel aggravation. Transportation there was a huge negative. Leaving wasn't bad because we went to last show and they had a bus at the Pioneer Hall to take us direct to resort.

Did Story Book Dining and loved it! The presentation, the food, the service, the characters ALL excellent. Each trip I try to pick it up but so far I haven't been able to since it reopened (I'm mostly offsite now). I'm actually checking for my next trip in a couple weeks. The only negative and I only likely noticed because for DS it is an issue, it can get loud. They announced each character as they came in and there are lots of kids there. If someone said pick one, hands down it would be Story Book.

Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter