Is the Hoop Dee Doo show good or is it a nostalgia thing?

It's been my experience that even skeptics come away from HDDR smiling and having had a great time, despite their determination to not have a good time. It has a way of getting under your skin, and you have a ball despite yourself. And besides, it's classic vintage WDW, an experience that's fast becoming a thing of the past.

I am a fan of anything Frontierland/Western/Country theme at Disney Parks, such as attractions, restaurants, and resorts. I enjoyed the HDDR, plus the food was delicious. The atmosphere was so upbeat and fun. I enjoy watching or listening to DL's Golden Horseshoe shows from the 1950s/1960s, similar to HDDR. The downside of HDDR and other FW attractions is the transportation. It is so time-consuming, even if you have a car.

Story Book Dining was fun, and the food was delicious as well.

Menu question - read that you can get french fries, if you ask. Is this still true? Also any other dessert options?

HDDR was one of my DS's favorite things to do when he was around 7 - 9 years old. Going to Ft. W is a destination in and of itself, so, yes, I think it is well worth the time to go to the Fort, go to the stables, see HDDR and even investigate doing a carriage ride. For the full experience, I would monorail to MK and take the boat to Ft. W.

My older kids were 7 and 9 when we took our family to HDDR for the first time. They belly laughed through the whole thing! The food is great, too, so even if you end up feeling 'meh' on the show, at least you got a good meal.

I remember loving it as a kid as well. I can't remember if I saw it once or twice, but it stuck with me! I'm with you on deciding if it's worth missing park time, but my kids were just asking to go see it again even if we miss out on a bit of park time, so I think we're going to do it again.

I love HDDR and enjoyed Story Book Dining, but if I had to pick only one I'd pick HDDR, so I guess I'm biased. But I just wanted to say that most of the 7 and 10 year old boys I've known would like the funny, loud show and the finger foods (ribs and fried chicken) at HDDR better than the fancy stuff at Story Book, which is much more sedate (or was when DH and I went, within the first year it was open). Obviously, your boys may be different!

I think it’s worth it to do once. The food is pretty good, unlimited beer (is it still this way?), and while corny it is fun. Having said that, I’m 40 and have been twice in my life (once as a kid once a few years ago), and don’t plan on going back again any time soon. Will most likely at some point in 10+years.

I don’t know how often you go to Disney, if it’s every few years I’d probably try to fit it in. Since you know you’ll be back and have been before so you’ll know some of the things that you can maybe miss and not be as upset if you take an evening to do HDDR. If this is a trip where you’re trying to get as much accomplished as possible I would not.

I have to disagree with one post -I am definitely NOT a fan of the country bears or carousel of progress but I enjoy HDD. (I do like Tiki birds. I don’t like things just because they are classic Disney, I like things that I enjoy watching) Have seen it 3 times over about 20 years.

Last edited:
I think it’s worth it to do once. The food is pretty good, unlimited beer (is it still this way?), and while corny it is fun. Having said that, I’m 40 and have been twice in my life (once as a kid once a few years ago), and don’t plan on going back again any time soon. Will most likely at some point in 10+years.

I don’t know how often you go to Disney, if it’s every few years I’d probably try to fit it in. Since you know you’ll be back and have been before so you’ll know some of the things that you can maybe miss and not be as upset if you take an evening to do HDDR. If this is a trip where you’re trying to get as much accomplished as possible I would not.
This will be our second trip to Disney and our final trip for the foreseeable future

This will be our second trip to Disney and our final trip for the foreseeable future
Then honestly I probably wouldn’t do it. Unless you feel you’ll need a break from the parks. It is indeed a time eater and for someone that doesn’t go all that often I think your time would be better spent in the parks.

I would definitely do it. Your kids may age out of enjoying it if you go years from now. I disagree with PP - there is so much more to WDW than just the parks. When my DS was your kids' age, he loved going to Ft. W - kayaking, canoeing, fishing, visiting the stables, etc. He also loved going to the Boardwalk, playing the games and watching the performers in the evening, etc.

When we take my 4 year old granddaughter to WDW it is definitely one of the dinner reservations I will make.

I hope to get level 1 seating

If you and your family are fans of old, weird Disney attractions like the Country Bear Jamboree, the Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, etc, it's a must-see. My kids and I love that stuff! But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
For me personally, I don't feel the love for any of the attractions you mentioned, however I loved Hoop Dee Doo (and so did my whole family). Kids particated in the fun and laughed, and so did adults in our group. It was fun to watch and funny, but yes, corny, but that's all part of the fun.

I hope you do choose to go to Hoop and experience it for yourself, but if you are determined to keep looking at your watch, and wondering why everyone is laughing hard at the corny jokes, and why all the actors are dressed up like old tv westerns, you probably should skip it. Your kids will follow your lead, it's what they do most of the time. One of my best memories of life will be my near brooding 10 yr old (going on 30 at the time) laughing so hard at that show. One of the servers made him laugh so hard he had tears and couldn't catch his breath. He legit had no idea why his mid section was sore the next day. It was from laughing. I'd truly suggest you go, but if you already know you're going to be miserable, don't. Think hard about going if the rest of the fam has a chance of enjoying it. Sure, it's a popular, long running show, but everyone doesn't have to like everything that other ppl do. Whenever someone tells me how much other ppl absolutely love something, I always think of the saying, "The Mcdonalds drive thru line is full almost all day long."

We have always loved HDD. We went as soon as it was back. Gosh I laughed so hard during the Clementine song that I was crying!! And then the kids were laughing at mommy. 😂 It was so much fun! I don’t consider it time wasted - I know we have to park, take a bus, wait and explore the area around Pioneer Hall - but to us the whole thing is an adventure. And we are locals.

And now I’m craving McDonald’s. 🤣

I think everyone has pretty much summed it up, but since I was just there I'll add my two cents. We went on NYE - my wife and two daughters LOVED it (ages 12 and 8), and I absolutely loathed the entire thing. The show is cheesy and corny - for the 1950's. For modern times, it's downright cringe-worthy. I thought the food was great, but my wife thought the food was terrible. So there you go. I'm not upset that I went, if only to know what everyone else has been talking about for the last several decades. But no plans to go back.

Years ago the DL Horseshoe Review use to do snippets of the HDD. I've never been to WDW MK Horseshoe. If they do, it's an option.

Our younger two kids took a break on Disney for about 10 years. Then went back with a friend and insisted she saw the show. They all loved it. They've since gone back and wanted to take another friend but the show hadn't re-opened from Covid.

During a girls trip I took my sisters and they weren't impressed by the show or the food.

Personally I think the show is a deal because the payment includes the gratuity and adult beverages, plus I enjoy the food and find the interactive show fun.

Hi, my ADR window opens up in a couple of weeks and I’m unsure whether to go for HDD—staying at the Poly for 6 nights in April, family of 4, two boys 7 and almost 10. I thought I was gonna try for it but a 2 hour show (plus at least an hour more with transport) is a pretty big chunk of one’s day!

I looked at a clip online and it seemed kind of corny tbh—in person, is it actually engaging to watch for 2 hours? Versus hanging out the Poly or doing a shorter ADR? Or is it a legit highlight not to be missed? I’m lucky to live in a city with a lot of shows, in case that’s relevant at all. Also, this is our last trip to Disney for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks!!
Is the boat still not running from Poly to Ft. Wilderness. Take an Uber over and bus/boat back via the MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter