• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the Lei Welcome and water in front of the hotel back?

They don’t have to say it - they had 700 plus days to bring back leis. But they didn’t. A service they provided since opening — but no longer do (aka a cut) for financial reasons (aka cost).

But I just learned you can buy them at Aulani at Ama Ama. How weird. Like a fast pass but flowers.
Seems like you’re getting so upset over such a monumental, trivial matter. In the past, when you received a lei upon arrival, did you wear it proudly for the rest of the day, preserve it in amber as a priceless memento to be treasured for years, or wear it for about 3-5 minutes and then throw it out? And even if you didn’t dispose of it so quickly, I’d bet that 99% of arriving guests did. In my opinion, it’s a total, needless waste, and I don’t blame Aulani management at all for getting rid of the arrival lei. Seems like a no brainer.

And I don’t agree that it diminishes the arrival experience either. For me, just walking into the lobby and enjoying the view and the architecture is a great experience, whether or not I have some dead flowers hanging around my neck. But, if you’re upset enough, you could “vote with you wallet,” so to speak, and never go to Aulani again.

Having just returned from my first Aulani stay with no clue of how it was before, I am 100% OK if they never give free leis again. It's another use of the island's limited natural resources that I feel should be reserved for actual celebrations for locals and they get thrown away by the end of the trip anyway. I edited this post to note I'm pretty sure there were free water refilling stations around the resort, though did they used to give out special water?
We did our 1st trip in July. Now I do the research on these boards and others, so knew there would be no leis upon arrival. Did not mention this to the family, did not effect them at all, or did they ask about it. We did the Luau at TAO and we each received a lei. That was on us for the Luau, but once we got to the room it was on the counter. Then the next day the wife suggested we bring them down to the Stich statue where she had seen many others. We did and we found out, many place them here, so others can enjoy them if they wish or at the end of the night the staff compost them.
Not receiving the leis in no way impacted the joy we had for the 10 days there.
As for the water, not sure what they would have done,,,was it bottled water,,or water in a big jug to pour out? We refilled our thermos many times at many places around the resort.

Seems like you’re getting so upset over such a monumental, trivial matter. In the past, when you received a lei upon arrival, did you wear it proudly for the rest of the day, preserve it in amber as a priceless memento to be treasured for years, or wear it for about 3-5 minutes and then throw it out? And even if you didn’t dispose of it so quickly, I’d bet that 99% of arriving guests did. In my opinion, it’s a total, needless waste, and I don’t blame Aulani management at all for getting rid of the arrival lei. Seems like a no brainer.

And I don’t agree that it diminishes the arrival experience either. For me, just walking into the lobby and enjoying the view and the architecture is a great experience, whether or not I have some dead flowers hanging around my neck. But, if you’re upset enough, you could “vote with you wallet,” so to speak, and never go to Aulani again.
So they are getting “rid of the arrival lei”?

When you go on a ride at Disney - do you grab a quill and pen a poem on parchment? No, it’s one of many experiences that make a vacation and build goodwill for Disney. Like receiving a lei.

And I’m sure there is a thriving lei industry in Hawaii because nobody likes them and they are just “dead flowers” - how culturally sensitive lol.

So they are getting “rid of the arrival lei”?

When you go on a ride at Disney - do you grab a quill and pen a poem on parchment? No, it’s one of many experiences that make a vacation and build goodwill for Disney. Like receiving a lei.

And I’m sure there is a thriving lei industry in Hawaii because nobody likes them and they are just “dead flowers” - how culturally sensitive lol.
I’m sorry. I’m not sure I understand what you’re talking about. You mention a quill, pen and parchment, but I’m truly confused as to how they relate to either a Disney ride or a lei at Aulani. Are you trying to relate having a bellhop give you a lei to, say, Guardians Of The Galaxy at Epcot?? If so, the comparison is kinda nonsensical.

I think you mentioned that you were planning on using your Aulani points elsewhere in an earlier post, right? Seven month availability can be tricky, so good luck with that. But at least by continuing to pay those pricey Aulani dues, your help maintain a resort to which you’ll never go. As an Aulani owner, though, thanks!

I’m sorry. I’m not sure I understand what you’re talking about. You mention a quill, pen and parchment, but I’m truly confused as to how they relate to either a Disney ride or a lei at Aulani. Are you trying to relate having a bellhop give you a lei to, say, Guardians Of The Galaxy at Epcot?? If so, the comparison is kinda nonsensical.

I think you mentioned that you were planning on using your Aulani points elsewhere in an earlier post, right? Seven month availability can be tricky, so good luck with that. But at least by continuing to pay those pricey Aulani dues, your help maintain a resort to which you’ll never go. As an Aulani owner, though, thanks!
You mockingly asked if I preserved my lei in amber. A ride experience could mockingly be preserved by writing it down in an extravagant way (like preserving a lei in amber would be). Get it?

I’ve had zero problem using my points each year at the 7 month window. But thanks for your concern! I’ve used it multiple times at wilderness lodge and riviera!

Enjoy getting turned away at the four seasons again bc you are not staying there when the dining options at Aulani fail to thrill!

LOL - With the recent leaked memo about hiring freezes and cost cutting, I think I’m ready to reverse my position. I will now not be surprised if Aulani soon changes their information, and gets rid of the lei greeting.

The language in the memo definitely reminds me of management who prioritizes overall company profitability over allowing each business unit to best manage their customers and revenue stream. The fact that Disney+ is losing money should not have an impact on how the parks or hotels manage their (highly profitable) businesses, but looks like Chapek doesn’t see things that way.

I’m predicting some sad days ahead for us Disney fans. 😢

LOL - With the recent leaked memo about hiring freezes and cost cutting, I think I’m ready to reverse my position. I will now not be surprised if Aulani soon changes their information, and gets rid of the lei greeting.

The language in the memo definitely reminds me of management who prioritizes overall company profitability over allowing each business unit to best manage their customers and revenue stream. The fact that Disney+ is losing money should not have an impact on how the parks or hotels manage their (highly profitable) businesses, but looks like Chapek doesn’t see things that way.

I’m predicting some sad days ahead for us Disney fans. 😢
I would bet we won't see the lei greeting for a long time, if ever. Though it added to the fun and excitement of arrival, I don't think its absence is really worth all the uproar, and in retrospect, it seems kinda wasteful. With inflation as it is, and costs for almost everything universally going up, for both consumers like us and corporations like Disney, not sure its fair to begrudge Disney's efforts to cut costs, especially when the lei greeting is hardly the reason anyone bought points at Aulani.

I can see why the leis would matter to some. It's just the quintessential start to a Hawaiian holiday. But at the same time, this one cut didn't detract from our 9 nights here. Aulani is still an amazing place. While prob 20% more expensive across the board from our 2018 trip....we still think it's worth it.

The cast members all exuded that Disney magic. Everyone we encountered was friendly and some were amazing. The beach and pools, which are the stars of Aulani, continue to be amazing. All.in all for us it's still worth the trip.

I think everyone needs to weigh the costs versus what you get. We still find Aulani on DVC points to be well worth it. Food and booze costs went up since our last stay but we planned for it and came in close to budget. We plan to come back in 2 years with the whole family. And honestly, after this trip we are considering adding on points. It was our 4th trip and loved it as much as the first. But everyone's experience and expectations are different

I can see why the leis would matter to some. It's just the quintessential start to a Hawaiian holiday. But at the same time, this one cut didn't detract from our 9 nights here. Aulani is still an amazing place. While prob 20% more expensive across the board from our 2018 trip....we still think it's worth it.

The cast members all exuded that Disney magic. Everyone we encountered was friendly and some were amazing. The beach and pools, which are the stars of Aulani, continue to be amazing. All.in all for us it's still worth the trip.

I think everyone needs to weigh the costs versus what you get. We still find Aulani on DVC points to be well worth it. Food and booze costs went up since our last stay but we planned for it and came in close to budget. We plan to come back in 2 years with the whole family. And honestly, after this trip we are considering adding on points. It was our 4th trip and loved it as much as the first. But everyone's experience and expectations are different
Agreed! I understand folks missing the lei greeting as well, but I can’t wrap my head around the absence of such so souring an Aulani visitor’s entire vacation experience, to the point where they never want to return to the resort. I know we all want our vacations to be perfect, and it rarely happens. Sometimes you have to overlook the little stuff.

Agreed! I understand folks missing the lei greeting as well, but I can’t wrap my head around the absence of such so souring an Aulani visitor’s entire vacation experience, to the point where they never want to return to the resort. I know we all want our vacations to be perfect, and it rarely happens. Sometimes you have to overlook the little stuff.

the point is stop making excuses for the multi-billion dollar conglomerate and chapek’s constant cheapening of the brand and the resort experience

the point is stop making excuses for the multi-billion dollar conglomerate and chapek’s constant cheapening of the brand and the resort experience
I’m not making excuses, and certainly don’t mean to upset you. I just think you need to acknowledge the reality. If I had to bet, those leis aren’t coming back. Is it really the end of the world?

Well Hawaii was much more strict about social distancing. We went after they reopened and they had removed most of the chairs, you had to wear a mask u less you were in water, one party at a time in elevators, etc.

Our second visit after reopening, which was a year ago they said it was staffing issues.
We were at Aulani this past June- I believe it's the company's desire to not supply the leis. We noticed when we walked over to dine at the Four Season's that they were greeting guests with fresh flower leis.

The least they could do is still provide the Menehune necklaces for the kids.

We were at Aulani this past June- I believe it's the company's desire to not supply the leis. We noticed when we walked over to dine at the Four Season's that they were greeting guests with fresh flower leis.

The least they could do is still provide the Menehune necklaces for the kids.
yes of course it's a very conscious, very cheap decision by the Chapek regime to sully the Aulani experience in this way

yes of course it's a very conscious, very cheap decision by the Chapek regime to sully the Aulani experience in this way
The company lost over a billion dollars this quarter. It’s currently enduring a huge wave of lay offs. Jobs are being lost. It’s obviously more the result of the current economy than any other single factor.

I think we can all live without the leis and cheap plastic trinkets, no?

Orchid leis have fluctuated wildly in price. Before the pandemic, they cost $5-$6/each at Long's. At the most, $8 during May. In the past couple of years, I've paid anywhere from $10-$20. $20 for an orchid lei is MIND BOGGLING for a local! I just needed to buy a couple of leis for my nephew's last football game and there were no orchid leis, the cheapest lei was $20, and this was from a local florist that is known to have the best prices outside of Chinatown.

Most of the kukui nut leis are flown in from the Philippines and were in short supply from 2020 until mid-2021 because there were few flights. There's no reason they couldn't start handing those out to the men.

Also, to compare Aulani's operating budget to the Four Seasons or any other Hawaii resort is comparing apples to oranges. A large block of Aulani guests are staying on points whereas guests at the Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, etc. are paying market rates for cash stays. If you ballpark the cost of a studio as 20 points, that equates to about $180 in dues. A hotel room at the Four Seasons is about $800-$1,000/night. My understanding is that the initial buy-in price does not go towards the operating budget (and therefore the cost of leis), and if that's correct the other hotels have a much larger profit margin that can absorb the rising cost of leis.

I'm not trying to defend Disney here - I agree the quality of the Disney product is no longer commiserate with the experience. I just wanted to add some context as to why Disney may have made the decision to stop handing out leis. However, I do think they could offer alternative products as a welcome gift - a faux plumeria hair pin (which are not as tacky as they sound), ribbon leis made by local handcrafters, a packet of chocolate macadamia nuts, pineapple candy leis.

Orchid leis have fluctuated wildly in price. Before the pandemic, they cost $5-$6/each at Long's. At the most, $8 during May. In the past couple of years, I've paid anywhere from $10-$20. $20 for an orchid lei is MIND BOGGLING for a local! I just needed to buy a couple of leis for my nephew's last football game and there were no orchid leis, the cheapest lei was $20, and this was from a local florist that is known to have the best prices outside of Chinatown.

Most of the kukui nut leis are flown in from the Philippines and were in short supply from 2020 until mid-2021 because there were few flights. There's no reason they couldn't start handing those out to the men.

Also, to compare Aulani's operating budget to the Four Seasons or any other Hawaii resort is comparing apples to oranges. A large block of Aulani guests are staying on points whereas guests at the Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, etc. are paying market rates for cash stays. If you ballpark the cost of a studio as 20 points, that equates to about $180 in dues. A hotel room at the Four Seasons is about $800-$1,000/night. My understanding is that the initial buy-in price does not go towards the operating budget (and therefore the cost of leis), and if that's correct the other hotels have a much larger profit margin that can absorb the rising cost of leis.

I'm not trying to defend Disney here - I agree the quality of the Disney product is no longer commiserate with the experience. I just wanted to add some context as to why Disney may have made the decision to stop handing out leis. However, I do think they could offer alternative products as a welcome gift - a faux plumeria hair pin (which are not as tacky as they sound), ribbon leis made by local handcrafters, a packet of chocolate macadamia nuts, pineapple candy leis.
I agree - and think you have listed a lot of good alternatives. Even offering something and having a paid add on for flower crowns etc (to offset higher prices) would be well received. Or just bring back the nice water. It’s a nice gesture.

If it were only one thing - I think people would be like eh, it was nice, but we understand. But Ama Ama is now just an expensive dinner. No lunch or breakfast. It’s essentially a $300 minimum cost of entry. Makahiki is just prix fixe. No buffet at breakfast (I think?). Auntie’s is a greatly reduced experience. Housekeeping is reduced. No adult pool. It’s a death by 1000 cuts.

It’s probably still a good value for DVC if you live close. Cash rooms are a different story though.

I agree - and think you have listed a lot of good alternatives. Even offering something and having a paid add on for flower crowns etc (to offset higher prices) would be well received. Or just bring back the nice water. It’s a nice gesture.

If it were only one thing - I think people would be like eh, it was nice, but we understand. But Ama Ama is now just an expensive dinner. No lunch or breakfast. It’s essentially a $300 minimum cost of entry. Makahiki is just prix fixe. No buffet at breakfast (I think?). Auntie’s is a greatly reduced experience. Housekeeping is reduced. No adult pool. It’s a death by 1000 cuts.

It’s probably still a good value for DVC if you live close. Cash rooms are a different story though.
I think its so easy to complain, complain, complain. Everyone does it, especially if they have a willing audience. I agree Ama Ama is too pricey, don't like Makahiki, and miss a buffet breakfast. I love the idea of an adult pool, but I never really liked its location or used it. I also wish the gym had windows. And I wish I didn't have to pay for a casabella on the beach. But none of that, for me, impacts the DNA of the resort, or any of the reasons I bought in. I really like the beach, the pools, the lazy river, the slides, the architecture, the rooms, walking on the pathway by the beach at night...pretty much the whole vibe of the place. And for me that hasn't changed.

I'm not going to let my dissatisfaction with smaller details eclipse the bigger picture. And complaining about the lack of a lei greeting, or some small cheap welcome gift instead that will get thrown out in less than a minute, is just plain silly.

And, yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wife and I won't be turned away from Waterman at the Four Seasons. But if we do, I will complain about it on these boards!

Last edited:
perhaps better management is in order?
Maybe. But I think the billion dollar loss is more a result of costs related to streaming/Disney+, which were initiated by the previous CEO, who was great, and I believe a true visionary. But if losses continue, yeah, a change would be necessary.

Well bottom line if we want leis back we should at least keep emailing them about it. If we constantly keep bugging them about maybe we will get it back. ( I email them about it every now and again.) But honestly there is a lot of people throwing around excuses which as much as I love Disney and Aulani cutting leis is now about saving money. In the beginning I agree covid restrictions and supply chain issues were such a big issue but now their actions prove they keep it going to save money or it would have been brought back by now. Many other hotels have them in HW now, man even DVC welcome show has them. I love Disney but some people really need to take off their rose color glasses. Now will not having leis keep me from not wanting to go, nope, but it loses some of the magic having to go to Costco and buying the leis and Disney is suppose to be all about the magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter