• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the magic still there ?

We just got back last week. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how nice our trip was. I liked not having fast passes as I did not have to be somewhere at a certain time. We got to ride and do all that we wanted. The lines looked long but social distancing made them so and they moved quickly. I got the ADR's that I wanted. I liked the cavalcades that popped up in the parks. We did have expectations that it would not be the same kind of trip as before but we just went into it with the attitude of taking it one day, one park at a time. I do believe that it will be much busier this summer and things may be more crowded and longer waits. It seems like they are making changes almost daily to bring back some things as well as reducing the restrictions. The day after we left they lifted the mask requirement for outside. Just keep track of what is going on and see when you think it would be a good time for you to visit. I know what you mean about 2020. I had the perfect trip planned for May 2020. But, this May was pretty good, and I am glad we went.

Speaking of the reserved FP, we just don't care for that system. I really miss the paper FP as you weren't as restricted as you are with the pre-made reservations. Of course, things like that don't stop us and we enjoy ourselves all the same. One of our issues was, we had family in the Orlando area. They had AP and would walk around the parks with us. We were always having to skidaddle off to our FP appointment, while they waited lol. Anyway, I mentioned on another thread how it's like the olden days without FP. I agree with you Snowysmom, about being a little freer without the FP window. We are going in August, and I'll probably be complaining about not having FP :laughing:

I had the same concerns before our trip in March and was very anxious the entire week before our trip. I was nervous about getting COVID, but also nervous about all of the precautions ruining the experience. Honestly, it ended up feeling like a pretty normal Disney vacation. Missed hearing the Happily Ever After music on our MK days, but that's it. We felt very safe, masking was not a big deal, no one got sick and a lot of the social distancing guidelines actually improved our experience (I hate being packed in the lines and not being able to find a table with a large family in the QS locations). We have another trip booked for Sep/Oct, and I am actually hoping things are the same this time instead of being worried about it.
Agree. My wife loved the entire social distancing. She hates being packed tight in the queues.
We did miss the night time shows.
Loved how the mobile ordering worked. Really liked that when we could go in to get our food, there were tables open and not lots of people saving tables for whenever their people got through the line.
Really hope that doesn't change.

I had the same concerns before our trip in March and was very anxious the entire week before our trip. I was nervous about getting COVID, but also nervous about all of the precautions ruining the experience. Honestly, it ended up feeling like a pretty normal Disney vacation. Missed hearing the Happily Ever After music on our MK days, but that's it. We felt very safe, masking was not a big deal, no one got sick and a lot of the social distancing guidelines actually improved our experience (I hate being packed in the lines and not being able to find a table with a large family in the QS locations). We have another trip booked for Sep/Oct, and I am actually hoping things are the same this time instead of being worried about it.
Agree. My wife loved the entire social distancing. She hates being packed tight in the queues.
We did miss the night time shows.
Loved how the mobile ordering worked. Really liked that when we could go in to get our food, there were tables open and not lots of people saving tables for whenever their people got through the line.
Really hope that doesn't change.

We did miss the Airline bag check in.
while not a huge hassle at the airport, in the past, it was nice to not have to worry about bags at all.
Hope they bring that back before our next trip.

OP, have you ever watched Resort TV1 on YouTube? It's a brother and sister team and they stream live several times a week. If you can, you should check them out and see for yourself what's going on at the parks. Every time I watch them they are having a lot of fun. Granted they live in the area but you can see first hand what the atmosphere is like. Maybe not the same as being there in person, but still get an idea. We haven't been since 2017 and are ready to go despite some of the Covid changes. We are looking at the bright side in that we never go during F&W, but this year it's earlier so we will experience it. I believe they are holding out for the 50th anniversary on some things. So if you go next year, you will be able to enjoy all the 50th anniversary stuff ::yes:: It's been a rough year and a half and I know travel is restricted right now. Just watch some of these streaming videos on YouTube and get ready for the 50th. Good luck OP :thumbsup2

Hi everyone.
I was due to visit WDW in 2020, you know the trip that was perfect. Had the ADR's ,fast passes etc that I wanted. Was going on a Disney cruise , my first ever cruise . Then covid put an end to all of that. A familiar story to so many of you here. I have visited a few times before and I love a WDW holiday. I'm in the I cry when I see the castle in Magic Kingdom for the first time camp.
Naturally I have been waiting for the moment when I can rebook the trip that never was and because I live in Ireland and we still can't enter the US I have to wait until next year. It's great to see restrictions slowly being lifted and hopefully the momentum will continue and that dining, entertainment etc will soon all reopen.
But lately I have been wondering whether the WDW that I loved to visit in the past will ever be the same again and that post covid it won't have quite the same 'magic".
The loss of the Magical express, no more magic bands for on site guests and a recent price increase to buy them, no extra magic hours, no fastpass , no adrs , no dining plans, park reservation system, no fireworks, no entertainment, no spontaneous park hopping. I know that some of the things I've mentioned are in force because of covid and they will revert but how will the losses affect things.
How have those of you that have visited in recent months found the experience? Aside from the restrictions still in place, is it still magical? Is it still a Happy Place ?
I've been going to Disney every year, sometimes several times a year, since my first birthday. I have some awesome memories of being there with my grandmother, aunt, and several other people who ar no longer here with me. Disney is nostalgic and there's nothing like being in the MK or smelling the lobby of the BC. I miss the waterfall that once was in the lobby of the Polynesian, along with many other things that no longer exist. Having said that, I went twice in 2020 with my husband and son, and the magic is different. Not necessarily gone. As with many things that have changed over the years, covid changed Disney as well. No matter how much I love Disney, they are using covid as an excuse to cut corners and save money. I'm disappointed. We are going in October for my birthday, and are only doing MK and EP then heading to Universal and some other things. I'm hoping 2022 is different...if not Disney may be getting less of our money.

I agree this past year has changed a lot of all the things we took for granted. The memories seem to be confusing this new reality and makes it a battle for my heart and my brain. I love it but I don’t. It’s the same but it’s not. Sometimes I just wander around the parks and have to convince myself that if I keep looking I will be able to believe everything will be okay but probably not . The castmembers and the guests have to approach everything with safety and security before Magic can begin.

As you can see, you're going to get a wide range of replies here, since everyone comes at this from a different perspective. We just returned from our trip last night. We've been visiting since the 70's and have seen all of the changes over the years. I think the ride experiences have improved greatly over the years and new ones, such as ROTR, will blow you away. Conversely, there has been a decline in (in our opinion) of the personal experience, probably due to cut backs with cast members and the removal of little touches here and there (like the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer Island or Push, the trash can for just a couple of examples).

100% agree. I'm just hoping the cost cutting from Covid doesn't become a permanent fixture!

It’s not perfect but after the year or so we’ve all had... it was more than what I needed. Best wishes on your decision. Life doesn’t wait for perfect circumstances.
I am flying to WDW today, and this brought tears to my eyes. When I was trying to decide whether or not to book this trip, my husband told me “Christmas isn’t guaranteed. Being here when things are all open isn’t guaranteed. Just go, have fun.” We are meeting friends down there, who lost their husband/father last spring. The girls will belatedly celebrate their 21st birthdays, and we will just be so GLAD to be there.

We just got back last week. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how nice our trip was. I liked not having fast passes as I did not have to be somewhere at a certain time. We got to ride and do all that we wanted. The lines looked long but social distancing made them so and they moved quickly. I got the ADR's that I wanted. I liked the cavalcades that popped up in the parks. We did have expectations that it would not be the same kind of trip as before but we just went into it with the attitude of taking it one day, one park at a time. I do believe that it will be much busier this summer and things may be more crowded and longer waits. It seems like they are making changes almost daily to bring back some things as well as reducing the restrictions. The day after we left they lifted the mask requirement for outside. Just keep track of what is going on and see when you think it would be a good time for you to visit. I know what you mean about 2020. I had the perfect trip planned for May 2020. But, this May was pretty good, and I am glad we went.
Glad you had a great trip and were pleasantly surprised on your post Covid WDW trip. We hope to find the same when we visit in July. I appreciate you do not miss fastpasses as you did not have to be somewhere at a certain time. This positive approach for your group can be utilized if fastpasses return for those of us that love them. If FPs return both groups, those that like and those that do not care to utilize, have their desires met. I too will be interested in the cavalcades but do hope the parades return. I think a combo of both would be great. I embrace going with the flow and enjoying what WDW is today due to Covid but truely hope things returne to what we were used to. :cool1:

The "Magic" is and has always been what you make it. If you go in expecting a perfectly scripted trip where everything goes a certain way.....not going to be much "Magic"....but if you go to WDW with an open mind and don't EXPECT all these over the top things to happen, there will be plenty of magical moments for you to enjoy.

Hi everyone.
I was due to visit WDW in 2020, you know the trip that was perfect. Had the ADR's ,fast passes etc that I wanted. Was going on a Disney cruise , my first ever cruise . Then covid put an end to all of that. A familiar story to so many of you here. I have visited a few times before and I love a WDW holiday. I'm in the I cry when I see the castle in Magic Kingdom for the first time camp.
Naturally I have been waiting for the moment when I can rebook the trip that never was and because I live in Ireland and we still can't enter the US I have to wait until next year. It's great to see restrictions slowly being lifted and hopefully the momentum will continue and that dining, entertainment etc will soon all reopen.
But lately I have been wondering whether the WDW that I loved to visit in the past will ever be the same again and that post covid it won't have quite the same 'magic".
The loss of the Magical express, no more magic bands for on site guests and a recent price increase to buy them, no extra magic hours, no fastpass , no adrs , no dining plans, park reservation system, no fireworks, no entertainment, no spontaneous park hopping. I know that some of the things I've mentioned are in force because of covid and they will revert but how will the losses affect things.
How have those of you that have visited in recent months found the experience? Aside from the restrictions still in place, is it still magical? Is it still a Happy Place ?
YES the Magic is most definatly there.My husband and i just returned from my Birthday Trip.My best day was at Epcot for the Flower and Garden Festival lots of beautifull topiaries and i enjoyed the Butterfly Exhibit.
All the cast members we came in contact with were very nice and the care they took to make sure my husband boarded the Skyliner with was excellent as he was using a mobility cart.
ALso i could not get on Rise of The Resistance as it broke down the day we were there however a cast member saw my Birthday button and let us cut right through the line to ride the Mellenium Falcon we were the only ones on the ride LOVED it.

YES the Magic is most definatly there.My husband and i just returned from my Birthday Trip.My best day was at Epcot for the Flower and Garden Festival lots of beautifull topiaries and i enjoyed the Butterfly Exhibit.
All the cast members we came in contact with were very nice and the care they took to make sure my husband boarded the Skyliner with was excellent as he was using a mobility cart.
ALso i could not get on Rise of The Resistance as it broke down the day we were there however a cast member saw my Birthday button and let us cut right through the line to ride the Mellenium Falcon we were the only ones on the ride LOVED it.
This! It makes me so happy to read stories like this.

My kids and I have been going every Christmas for the past 5 years, including 2020. It was definitely different in December last year. For example, we skipped the DME because the line to get on at the airport was long. We took ubered to our resort. There were temperature checks, social distance lines, masks, closed attractions, no FPs, fewer restaurants, reduced park hours, etc. But It was still Disney. It was still MK, HS, AK and EP. It was still a welcome distraction from the stress and strain back home. The world changed, so WDW had to change. We were OK with that. We had a great time. Sure we couldn't do many things, so instead we did other things. We adapted to the situation. We're going again end of June. We expect it will be hot, and crowded, and many attractions will still be unavailable. But we'll have a good time. We will adapt. Disney is our destination. Being with my family is the journey.

We went in January. And while it was a different trip, it was one of our favorite trips ever! It was a much more laid back vibe. We spent some time just sitting at a table snacking, where we'd usually be on-the-go. We still got to do everything we wanted to do. The constant character cavalcades make up for no parades. I did miss fireworks. But otherwise, it was a fantastic trip!!

With no FP, we didn't feel like we had to rush from here to there or fit things in when we could. We just kind of went with the flow and did what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it. And we made a late reservation at 50's Prime Time and were one of the last ones in the park! I have some amazing pictures of my kids in an empty park!!

Disney has taken so much away, some of it never coming back, that if you went for your first time it may not even register that it is not the same. I, for one, will not be going back for a while. Not only the COVID changes, but just everything that is gone forever, no reason to rush back. I do know that when I do return someday, it will be with an off-site stay. The "benefit of the bubble" has been pretty much eliminated. I can stay at much nicer resorts for an equivalent cost offsite. I would not go right now or in the near future.

I am flying to WDW today, and this brought tears to my eyes. When I was trying to decide whether or not to book this trip, my husband told me “Christmas isn’t guaranteed. Being here when things are all open isn’t guaranteed. Just go, have fun.” We are meeting friends down there, who lost their husband/father last spring. The girls will belatedly celebrate their 21st birthdays, and we will just be so GLAD to be there.

This ^^

I'm not doing that at all. I'm saying she's looking at a trip at least six months out with the assumption that things as they are will only get worse. And that the things that are not there now are the things that made the trip magical. She's looking for reasons to be dissatisfied.

Has there been anything taken away from you that wasn't justified? In order to control capacity to a very low level, they had to have reservations. In order to have enough line space, they had to suspend fast passes. They could not have situations that invited crowds, so they got rid of fireworks and on-street entertainment. If they had been the jerks everyone accuses them of being, they would have gotten rid of DME immediately, but instead they've kept it going with a projected end date that is still six months away.

If you're disillusioned over a company doing all it can to be open and keep the worried portion of the population feeling safe, I don't know what to tell you. The OP is holding WDW accountable for doing it's best, and you're joining her in making those actions some sort of cruel corporate strategy instead of doing its best to make a horrific situation better.

If you don't consider it a value, don't go. But for God's sake, stop preaching to us about how terrible it is or will be. OP has no reason -- none at all -- to assume that everything she considered magical about it will not be back in place by the time she visits. I think it will all be back in place within six weeks. But go on and talk about reduced value for increased price. If that's the way you see it, then your -- and the OP's -- choice is pretty clear.
Agree to disagree. Disney, especially under the leadership of Bob Cheapek, was already reducing value before Covid (paid parking at resorts for example). The pandemic was a convenient excuse to expedite the decrease of the value of the product while holding or even increasing prices. Will it be worse? I tend to think so, but I don't know for certain. Like I said previously, for now I'll wait and hope.

We went last month. We had a wonderful time, however I did feel it was not as magical compared to previous trips. But, that is a given regarding having to wear the masks and a lot of the other social distancing and things remaining closed. But, I also felt it in general with basic everyday things like the cast members not being as magical, which I guess in a way I cannot blame them, it is rough for everyone, and I am sure they are getting a lot of negative energy from some guests who don't want to follow rules???? But, I definitely noticed it throughout my trip. Again, I am greatful we were able to go and did have a good time.

Ironically, I was looking forward to my Ireland trip in 2020 as well as a trip to WDW! We will be going to Disney this June, but my UK and Ireland trip was postponed again until 2022. Here's hoping we pass each other in the air very soon! And I know Ireland will be just as magical as Disney!

I was just going to say the same thing. Ireland is my dream trip and it has been cancelled twice now. Can't wait for 2022 to hopefully finally visit Ireland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter