Is the NSHSS legit?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
I just got a card in the mail for my senior to join the National Society of High School Scholars. Anyone else get one of these and if so, did you join? I've heard of the NHS but not this one.

DW got it for DD, but to me a more important consideration is whether there is any actual benefit to membership. And I think the answer to that is "No."

If college admissions placed any value on membership, there there would be some benefit. But I don't think they do. Most colleges look at GPA, weighted GPA, class rank, SAT/ACT scores, and/or extra-curriculars. I don't think a certificate you paid $75 for would have much weight for college admissions.

I think they do give a cord for the graduate to wear on graduation day, but some high schools do not recognize the organization and will not permit wearing their cord.

DW got it for DD, but to me a more important consideration is whether there is any actual benefit to membership. And I think the answer to that is "No."

If college admissions placed any value on membership, there there would be some benefit. But I don't think they do. Most colleges look at GPA, weighted GPA, class rank, SAT/ACT scores, and/or extra-curriculars. I don't think a certificate you paid $75 for would have much weight for college admissions.

I think they do give a cord for the graduate to wear on graduation day, but some high schools do not recognize the organization and will not permit wearing their cord.

Not worried about admissions. They claim to line students up with scholarship opportunities which might be valuable if they can field possible opportuniteis.

Not worried about admissions. They claim to line students up with scholarship opportunities which might be valuable if they can field possible opportuniteis.
True, but colleges also provide that info and can probably provide more targeted information. It depends greatly on the college, but many have very specific scholarships which would not be available anywhere but through that college.

We did get some scholarship info from NSHSS, but didn't use any of it.

To your original question of whether or not NSHSS is legit, yes I think they do provide what they claim to provide. Whether it is worthwhile for your family, only you can decide.

None of our 4 joined. Joining this or any mail solicited group never would have made a difference in their paths. Have 3 college graduates and one entering sophomore year.

I agree with the others, I don’t know if it’s a scam, but not worth the money for the resources they give you. Pretty much the info and resources they give you can be found for free online. Don’t waste your money.

No, they send that letter to nearly everybody, preying on your vanity to get you to pay.

It reminds me of the “Who’s Who” bound books in the 80’s

My 3 children were perfectly average students. Never took a single AP or honors course. Scarecely an A among the 3 of them. They got those letters and bumper stickers too.

BTW the oldest two are college-age and thriving in their choice of degrees. Both even got merit aid at their colleges. That’s where you are going to find the bulk of “scholarships” not a clearinghouse.

Time spent on summer/after school part time jobs offered at least as much cash as writing scholarships essays.

We didn’t join but put the sticker up on the fridge for a while as a joke. Uhhh, I just looked and it’s still on the fridge from 2 yrs ago 🤣 He’s been out of HS one year maybe I should get rid of it now.

Scam? Eh. Worth it or any kind of honor? Nope.

Reminds me of the time my sister had her poetry "published" in some book back in the early 90's. Just like this thing or those "Who's Who" books, they send letters to everyone and anyone who pays the fee gets in. She was so jazzed about the honor of her poem being "selected for publication". Then we read some of the poetry alongside hers. It amounted to "roses are red, violets are blue." I kid you not, to this day we still laugh about our favorite poem in the book. It was titled something like "An Ode to Marty", and included the lines "Marty, Marty, Marty...May I call you Mart? When I think about you, you're always in my heart."

Priceless.

No, they send that letter to nearly everybody, preying on your vanity to get you to pay.

It reminds me of the “Who’s Who” bound books in the 80’s

My 3 children were perfectly average students. Never took a single AP or honors course. Scarecely an A among the 3 of them. They got those letters and bumper stickers too.

BTW the oldest two are college-age and thriving in their choice of degrees. Both even got merit aid at their colleges. That’s where you are going to find the bulk of “scholarships” not a clearinghouse.

Time spent on summer/after school part time jobs offered at least as much cash as writing scholarships essays.

That's what I was reminded of. I had that...in 1996, so it was still going on at that time and no had no benefit from it other than my parents had this fancy book full of photos of "who's who"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter