Is the Pool Fence keeping Locals out?

I feel like I have to apologize for those 'locals'. I know when they instituted having to show a MB at most resort pools there were a few people on a couple local boards I follow that were very mad and "how dare Disney take away my right to use their pools!". It's not fair for those who pay to stay there.
As Tiggerdad said Thank You for your honesty. I really don't care for it when I am paying full boat so someone else can get a free ride on my dime and even less so when my experience is diminished by them making it less accessible to me. If Disney can find the money to require Magic Band access to the more expensive resorts they should be able to find it for the Fort

I rather disagree sightly, Mr. BamaEd. I think Disney is lucky to have "us" campers. Campers are typically a different sort of breed with kindness and thoughtfulness (well most are) and we are a special type of guest. I think they are "lucky" to have us bless them. If we could not camp, I don't think my children would be getting the "experience" at all. And, I say this with the most kindness of intent.
Well said Mtnminnie. Remember FORT WILDERNESS was the FIRST resort to open at WDW. It also has highest rate of return guests and the most loyal of all guest in the WORLD. I would hazard a guess that more than a few of the posters here are second and in some cases third generations fans of THE FORT. I know for us the time we stayed Club Level at AKL all my Wife wanted to do was check out and move to the Fort
We are not big pool users ( DW has the buoyancy of a rock) as we tend to go in Dec/Jan time frame But If I see it then will include in my customary letter ( An actual letter not email ) I send at the end of every trip to the President of The Fort Wilderness Resort company. In it I praise, by name and example those that helped make our stay a super experience and those deficiencies I perceive. Maybe if we all started to this management will take notice and take action

As Tiggerdad said Thank You for your honesty. I really don't care for it when I am paying full boat so someone else can get a free ride on my dime and even less so when my experience is diminished by them making it less accessible to me. If Disney can find the money to require Magic Band access to the more expensive resorts they should be able to find it for the Fort

Well said Mtnminnie. Remember FORT WILDERNESS was the FIRST resort to open at WDW. It also has highest rate of return guests and the most loyal of all guest in the WORLD. I would hazard a guess that more than a few of the posters here are second and in some cases third generations fans of THE FORT. I know for us the time we stayed Club Level at AKL all my Wife wanted to do was check out and move to the Fort
We are not big pool users ( DW has the buoyancy of a rock) as we tend to go in Dec/Jan time frame But If I see it then will include in my customary letter ( An actual letter not email ) I send at the end of every trip to the President of The Fort Wilderness Resort company. In it I praise, by name and example those that helped make our stay a super experience and those deficiencies I perceive. Maybe if we all started to this management will take notice and take action

I went to Fort Wilderness to camp the first summer it was open, June 1972. We were there in a pop-up camper with no air conditioning, only a little oscillating fan. I had a blast! I loved taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom! What fun! If I remember correctly, and I could be a bit off here, my dad paid ~$13/night for camping there. I remember that my dad, just out of curiosity, and because my family was fascinated with Polynesia, took us over to the Polynesian to check on the rate for staying there. Seems like it was about $63 or $65 a night. Wow! My dad thought that was highway robbery, so we slunked back over to the Fort to our little pop-up.

All that being said, I think it is sad that there is such a decline in our society these days. People no longer have respect for boundaries of any kind. I do believe that if one wants to use the facilities at a certain resort, one should pay the going rate. Seems like that's how it works for me, and a lot of others, right?

I agree Maxine. It would tick me off when I would read that locals would go and use the pools when not staying at the resort, saying it was too expensive and my kids enjoy it so why not. I got kicked off the board for calling them thieves, but in reality it is what they were and I was so glad to see Disney crack down on it. I can just imagine how it is around Halloween and trick-or-treating, I already see posts elsewhere about heading over there to do just that. It ain't easy being a camper there anymore!

I'm curious. Someone mentioned POR
pool and not staying there.
Every time we stay there.. they literally stop you at the guard gate and ur asked for ur info, they ck ur name.
The Only time we were pushed they was at AKL when I literally booked a villa about 3 hours before we arrived ( a spur of the moment visit) they did not see our name and asked for our license but said, just go)
Perhaps the person was visiting with a resort guest? But I thought that too was not permitted. ??
I think if I knew for sure that people were using a resort pool ( at any resort) but not staying at the resort, I'd speak up ( as someone also mentioned) both email and post mail.
I'd be annoyed if my time were diminished because many non paying outsiders were enjoying free amenities
Goodness, do people have no sense of " doing what's right" anymore?

Has anyone ever gone directly to a CM with this issue when you see/suspect it happening?
I'm wondering if they would act on it since it was "in their face" so to speak.
(I'm not saying be rude, just bring it to their attention. Ex: "I suspect family of 5 over there with the cooler may not be guests here at the Fort. I also suspect the group of teens were dropped off. My kids can barely swim. Can you do anything about this?")

Yes, CM will rarely get involved. As I understand it they avoid conflict at all costs. Management frowns on it and the CM often gets thrown under the bus for not making magic for those people. Unfortunately I think people who avoid the rules have the same rights and treatment as those of us who pay for what we use.

Just been looking at this thread for the first time and a big concern that hits me is around security. With locals being allowed entrance to a resort where for the most part there are folks staying in tents and trailers with little to no means to meaningfully secure property this presents a big risk.
I get it that the Fort is a low cost stay relative to all the other WDW resorts but it is still very much a premium over other campsite options in the area. I don't necessarily compare FW to any of the other WDW resorts and but while it is a WDW property it should be afforded the same access controls to the amenities and pools as any other WDW resort.
I choose to pay premium to stay at FW as it's a part of the magical experience and allows us to visit WDW annually if not twice per year alongside our DVC membership. I see nothing wrong in denying anyone access to something for which they have not paid. If they are not going to stop locals gaining access to the facilities then at least charge them a day pass fee and show ID. I'm honestly shocked that this revenue stream has not been tapped.

I would be livid if I couldn't get a spot at the pool because of locals using it for free when I paid $100+ for my campsite. If Disney wants to allow them in, they need to have a day use fee and some kind of identification. One of the great things about being over 50...and about to turn 60....is that I don't feel like I can't rock the boat any more. I will most definitely speak up to a CM if I encounter something like you all are describing and I have no concerns about escalating issues.

ust been looking at this thread for the first time and a big concern that hits me is around security. With locals being allowed entrance to a resort where for the most part there are folks staying in tents and trailers with little to no means to meaningfully secure property this presents a big risk.
This hasn't changed since the inception of the resort. If anything they have gotten stricter with their security. The reality is, is that anyone can pretty much get into any resort they want with little to no effort. Merely just need to get a bus (or other transportation) from any of the public locations such as a Park or Disney Springs.

It's harder to come in the resort with a "Vehicle" (Car, truck, camper, etc...) without a legitimate reason (or quasi-legitimate) such as dinner reservations/plans or something similar.

If Disney wants to allow them in, they need to have a day use fee and some kind of identification.
I think Disney has made it pretty clear that they do not WANT them in, they just aren't concerned enough to enforce the policy until it's an issue. It won't be an issue until they either start losing money or enough people complain (and more likely BOTH).

Go ahead and rock that boat. You have my support. :D

Actually in one way security has gotten weaker. When we first went to WDW in early 90's you weren't getting on any WDW transportation without a valid KTTK (Keys to the Kingdom) card for each person in the party. Including resorts, parks and DS.

Actually in one way security has gotten weaker. When we first went to WDW in early 90's you weren't getting on any WDW transportation without a valid KTTK (Keys to the Kingdom) card for each person in the party. Including resorts, parks and DS.
Denise you are not the only one who remembers that That and the Fort having it's OWN bus drivers that we all got to know ( Remember The World's Greatest Bus Driver ) and who after 2 or 3 days got to know you. Maybe if Disney re-instituted some of the simple security measures things would be a good bit more beneficial.
As I read this thread over again I am still amazed that Disney hasn't put the same measures to restrict access to the pools at it's other resorts in the Fort. We and the general public are denied access to other resorts pools unless we are current guests there thanks to needing to prove it via Magic Band access. Maybe Disney looks on us as a guest staying at Grand Floridian was over heard describing guests staying at the Fort as TRAILER PARK TRASH. If we all start speaking up and letting Fort W management know we are feeling mistreated and unappreciated see how fast things change

Hey, I'm from Mississippi. We are Trailer Park Trash capital. It's how we control the tornadoes.

I mean it's a FORT right? Why can't we defend it?
parkerpatriots.jpg

I guarantee once the word gets out the locals will go looking for another pool.

Last edited:
Just had a trip to AKV Kidani. Which I believe is supposed to be a no hopping pool yet I watched a big family pack up and head to their cars and drive off. We packed up and walked to our elevator through the under building garage and were heading out the same time so that's how we saw them. My mom and I had trouble finding two lounge chairs to sit in and this family had an entire row. I truly hope they were driving over to Jambo and staying there and not locals popping in or other resort guests.

Hey, I'm from Mississippi. We are Trailer Park Trash capital. It's how we control the tornadoes.

Hey! I'm an Arkansas Cajun living in Mississippi.

As my dad's beloved Justin Wilson used to say---"I gar-on-tee!".

Even if the pool gates only worked with your MB, all the locals would have to do is kinda mingle around where the snack bar is and as soon as someone was coming out or going is walk through also. I know I have done it, along with a bunch of others, is being polite and holding the gate open for someone either coming or going. I guess if they do the MB reader I would have to be rude, ( not really) and make sure the gate closes behind me.

I mean it's a FORT right? Why can't we defend it?
View attachment 254185

Michael on behalf of the rest of the country Thank You for stepping up and taking one for the team by being the Tornado Magnet for the rest of us
On the other idea there is an old WWII poster that says it all "I let My M1 do my talking for Me'' and real gun control is hitting your target

I still have some and they state on it about transportation.

This pool situation has been a problem since Disney opened up hotels. I can't tell you how many times I hear folks talking and it's quite clear they are local or staying offsite. And I agree CMs will do nothing. They do nothing about alot .... once at CSR pool, midday a raccoon was under the tables by the bar literally feet from families. I went to the lifeguard, and gave the benefit of the doubt they were animal ignorant ... told them a raccoon out in mid day around all this activity is likely sick you need to call someone. Crickets and eye rolls.

Their climbing resort rates ... should come with increased measures to insure the guests who pay them are getting full use of what they are paying for. They can buckle down on pool access, resort access etc ... but will they?

Even if the pool gates only worked with your MB, all the locals would have to do is kinda mingle around where the snack bar is and as soon as someone was coming out or going is walk through also. I know I have done it, along with a bunch of others, is being polite and holding the gate open for someone either coming or going. I guess if they do the MB reader I would have to be rude, ( not really) and make sure the gate closes behind me.

The best way is to have a CM or 2 at the pool gate and they monitor in the same way they attend to the FP+ entrances in the parks. If it's a cost thing then fine, charge the locals the rate for a tent site for that day and give them a wristband to show they paid. Still doesn't resolve the security issue of those locals and off siters who come in on the bus and have the freedom of the fort but at least everyone in the pool area has paid for the privilege.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter