Is the Skyliner making you consider any resort you normally wouldn't stay at?

MaC410

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are starting to consider planning our next trip for late next year so the Skyliner will be open. One of the biggest factors in where we choose to stay is how easy it is to get to the parks. Because of that our absolute favorite place to stay is the Beach Club. We aren't against trying new places, especially if it would save a lot of money. However, the ease of park access definitely affects our enjoyment of our trips. We've stayed at Art of Animation once and while the resort itself was great taking the bus to and from every park definitely put a little damper on things. The Skyliner though is making us consider trying it again since we would now have that mode of transportation to two parks. I'm a bit concerned with considering Caribbean Beach as one of our options because I feel like I never hear good thing about the bus service for that resort due to how big it is.

I'm just curious if the Skyliner has been making anyone consider resorts they normally wouldn't. Is the bus service at Caribbean Beach as bad as I hear it is?

I mean for me personally I likely can rent points at Boardwalk for the CBR Disney prices. Walking and taking the boat I don't see being slower and is almost always going to be faster.

I will believe it when I see it out of the Gondola system. With needing to do a change over at CBR I think this will cause issues with longer commute times.

Personally it's a drawback I see for Riviera as well. You have to do a Gondola exchange to HS.

We will see in 2020 after it's up for a couple months and Riviera has been open for a while.

I’d say maybe. I’m not a fan of any of the resorts the skyliner line services and wouldn’t consider staying at the current Disney resorts but I would consider a riviera stay after it opens. All that said I think many folks are since 2020 pricing at these resorts has increased and more than typical annual increases.

Have only been once and stayed at Art of Animation. Planning a short trip for next summer after a cruise and so trying to keep budget down. So...looked at one of the All Stars or Pop Century. It's a bit more but yes, we went with Pop Century due to the addition of the Skyliner. Not renting a car this time so hoping it will help with our Epcot and Hollywood Studio day.

We also chose Pop for the first time in order to try out the Skyliner. We'll see how it goes.

It isn't for me because I care a lot about the comfort, theming and dining of the resorts we stay at. That supercedes transportation in my book. Also, we often go to Disney World in summer, and you know that those gondolas will be non-operational for hours on most summer afternoons/evenings, due to thunderstorms and/or lightning. So that really reduces its reliability for summer trips.

I was wondering what their plan is for summer, between the heat and the storms. With little ones we’re partial to staying close to MK, so I don’t think we’re looking at skyliner resorts yet.

It did for me.
I 've stayed a the CB before and wanted to stay at a different resort
but when I heard about the Skyliner, I booked CB with the hope of will be open in Sept

Personally it's a drawback I see for Riviera as well. You have to do a Gondola exchange to HS.

But the Gonsolas are continuous loaders so there will not be the 0-20 minute(or more) wait like with the buses.

I think it would be a very rare circumatance when taking a bus from DRR to DHS would put a Guest at the DHS tapstiles ahead of taking the Gondolas.

Also the Gondolas at DHS will deliver Guests closer to the entrance than any of the buses and at Epcot it will deliver Guests just steps from the IG.

I'm just curious if the Skyliner has been making anyone consider resorts they normally wouldn't.
No, but because I'm a Pop fan for life. Did, would, will always stay there anyway.
I was wondering what their plan is for summer, between the heat and the storms. With little ones we’re partial to staying close to MK, so I don’t think we’re looking at skyliner resorts yet.
Their plan for the summer is to test test test test test the passengerless system which is already in use in a wide variety of climates and conditions over and over and over. Check out PassportToTheParks videos on youtube.

Have they specified that there will be an issue in summer? Or is this just speculation?
It's logic. All outdoor rides and pools are closed during thunderstorms and/or if lightning is spotted anywhere within a certain radius, even if there is no rain. The same is true for the friendship boats on Crescent Lake. No way would they keep people up in the gondolas while there is lightning around. And there is lightning on an almost daily basis throughout the summer.

We were thinking Caribbean Beach for our next visit after this year's trip. The Gondola's didn't necessarily influence the decision but may reinforce it. We wouldn't be going during the hotter months anyway but they are going to be extremely hot in the afternoon and during summer thunderstorms they most likely would be shutdown.

My next trip, I intend on going to caribbean beach because the renovations look lovely. But the gondolas are certainly an added bonus.

Yes, because I just decided on a Jan trip and BCV and BWV - and Riviera - are booked in whole or part for my time. I went and looked at POP, AOA, and CBR .

CBR was out as I wasn’t sure if preferred would end up changing to the sections near the Skyliner and didn’t want to risk booking standard and missing when/if preferred changes.

AOA was out as I didn’t want to pay suite prices or stay at little mermaid.

I was close on a POP preferred when I saw all the Gran Destino pictures pop up. I’m kind of in love. Then I looked and found they have club access rooms and decided to treat myself there, and Uber over to parks for rope drop instead. So... I went down a crazy hole.

Usually we stay BC but I booked CBR for my Dec solo trip because of the Skyliner.
I like that from CBR you can walk to either station (CBR or Riviera) which means you can get to both DHS and Epcot without a transfer (by choosing which station you walk to.)

Also I'm interested to see how the traffic at the International Gateway at Epcot is affected by the Skyliner traffic. One of the selling points for us at the Epcot resorts was that IG wasn't super busy. It will be interesting to see how this changes crowds at IG and also at the EPCOT resort shopping/restaurants/activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter