• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the snorkelin lagoon at Castaway Cay family beach totally closed off from the ocean? Any photos?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
I have a fear of sharks. It's a phobia so trying to tell me the odds etc...doesnt work. Anyway, my husband really wants me and our son to do the snorkeling in the family beach area where we can see the mickey statue etc... under water. I would like to know if that area is completely blocked off from the ocean so sharks etc... can't swim in..... Do you have any photos? Thanks in advance.

From what I understand there is a shark net but it is not completely sealed off from the ocean.

From what I understand there is a shark net but it is not completely sealed off from the ocean.

And nets are not always foolproof.

Not to compound the fear, but the ocean IS their home. The signs at CC do list them among the potential hazards you might encounter. Additionally I believe there have been occasional sightings of small ones around CC before.

So I'd be prepared just in case.

I feel for you, our teen daughter has the same phobia. Another thing to keep in mind is the statues are pretty far from shore in my opinion. It's not like you can go in a little ways and see them from my recollection. Your husband and child can totally do this together, you can wave from shore. Have a wonderful cruise and magical time together!

And nets are not always foolproof.

Not to compound the fear, but the ocean IS their home. The signs at CC do list them among the potential hazards you might encounter. Additionally I believe there have been occasional sightings of small ones around CC before.

So I'd be prepared just in case.
small sharks in the snorkeling lagoon in the family area?

small sharks in the snorkeling lagoon in the family area?

I don't know where specifically, but I'm pretty sure that they have been sighted around CC. I do know there's a barracuda (Barry) who lives in/around the lagoon.

I have a fear of sharks. It's a phobia so trying to tell me the odds etc...doesnt work. Anyway, my husband really wants me and our son to do the snorkeling in the family beach area where we can see the mickey statue etc... under water. I would like to know if that area is completely blocked off from the ocean so sharks etc... can't swim in..... Do you have any photos? Thanks in advance.

Mine are bats. My head knows they are good it's the rest of me that is the problem. I've tried to overcome it but it's not going to happen. I know and feel your pain :(

Just talking about the possibility right now of me going into the ocean to snorkel makes my heart beat faster and creates anxiety. If I was snorkeling and "happen" to see a "small" shark who got through the nets I would go into full on insane losing my mind, screaming and walking on water mode! LOL:scared1:

Just talking about the possibility right now of me going into the ocean to snorkel makes my heart beat faster and creates anxiety. If I was snorkeling and "happen" to see a "small" shark who got through the nets I would go into full on insane losing my mind, screaming and walking on water mode! LOL:scared1:

Although the possibility of seeing a shark in the snorkeling lagoon is very remote, it is possible. If it would promote this kind of reaction, I'm afraid you would put yourself in danger. You should probably avoid snorkeling.

Although the possibility of seeing a shark in the snorkeling lagoon is very remote, it is possible. If it would promote this kind of reaction, I'm afraid you would put yourself in danger. You should probably avoid snorkeling.
i agree. I read that Aulani has a man-made snorkeling area so I will probably just wait until we go there

i agree. I read that Aulani has a man-made snorkeling area so I will probably just wait until we go there

Aulani does have a man-made snorkeling Lagoon. Make sure and ask before you snorkel there though. Disney's man-made snorkel lagoon at Typhoon Lagoon at Disney World does have small sharks.

Unless they add something new, it was just pretty, colorful little tropical fish when we snorkeled in Rainbow Reef at Aulani this summer. :) No sharks! And a viewing area to look at the contents of the reef ahead of time, so you can see everything before you get in and reassure yourself. Also, the marine biologist who cares for their sealife is wonderful and will chat with you about the animals (you can catch her when she gathers guests to feed the koi), if talking to someone helps. I would just wait for Aulani for sure! That last thing you need is to have a panic attack in the ocean!!

Unless they add something new, it was just pretty, colorful little tropical fish when we snorkeled in Rainbow Reef at Aulani this summer. :) No sharks! And a viewing area to look at the contents of the reef ahead of time, so you can see everything before you get in and reassure yourself. Also, the marine biologist who cares for their sealife is wonderful and will chat with you about the animals (you can catch her when she gathers guests to feed the koi), if talking to someone helps. I would just wait for Aulani for sure! That last thing you need is to have a panic attack in the ocean!!
yes I agree with you. Dont want a panic attack in the ocean.

pier is at bottom (south) .. next area is where the water trikes and sail boats play, then the family beach areas .... you can clearly see the openings ...
While there are openings, the lines you see between the paddle lagoon next to the dock and the family snorkeling area are the nets designed to keep large marine animals from the snorkeling lagoon.
The nets should keep out large sharks swim in the area (like the 6' reef shark I saw below while swimming in Serenity Bay), but I believe because of their small profile, barracuda can get in these lagoons (years ago used to be one that pretty much took up residence there that the life guards had taken to calling Berry).

But by contrast, Serenity Bay is open ocean:
TxIuFuAkBfQUwo4Qc_R_JWUywHPoXGw_Q1_6hjUdoohKsFSmiiMNwkkY2Vm6q1eEN0C9lRQJzUWno2s=w1280-h709-rw

Last edited:
At CC-SB, I am on the beach, and DW is on a raft about 20 yards out. I start walking out to take her picture and all the little fish around me scatter. I start looking around and see a 2-3 foot Black Tip shark cruising through the water. Picture did not come out due to angle of sun and reflection off the water. My DW is splashing the water with her hands to move the raft, so I tell her to stop because I see a shark. So what does DW do, she jumps off the raft and makes a bigger splash. The shark turns towards her. I have to run and get between her and the shark.

Checkout this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2371788
It is originally from 2010 but has pictures of sharks and other sea life taken at CC.

I think shark attacks at Castaway Cay are very uncommon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter