Is there an advantage to stay onsite anymore?

For me, especially when I travel solo, the main benefit is that I do not have to rent a car. I don't want to deal with driving in a strange area with a bunch of other tourists that have no idea where they are going. I like just getting on the bus and sitting there, reading my book and relaxing. I like being in the Disney "bubble".

I understand the economy of staying offsite, but we don't go there to save money, we go there to spend it. :laughing:

Plus while I might feel comfortable with a kid traveling the monorail or bus alone, I don't feel that way about Uber.

I should update. Two of our 7 have decided not to go so now we're down to 5 and I'm back to looking at David's DVC to rent. The draw of the bubble is strong and one of the people going has never been before so I want to give her the full taste of the Disney magic!

Does anyone know if you rent DVC points do you get free parking? If not, what is the going rate for parking? We're looking at Beach Club, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk as the top choices. I'd love to look at Poly since it's our favorite resort but it sounds like the monorails aren't working there and there's a ton of construction?

I should update. Two of our 7 have decided not to go so now we're down to 5 and I'm back to looking at David's DVC to rent. The draw of the bubble is strong and one of the people going has never been before so I want to give her the full taste of the Disney magic!

Does anyone know if you rent DVC points do you get free parking? If not, what is the going rate for parking? We're looking at Beach Club, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk as the top choices. I'd love to look at Poly since it's our favorite resort but it sounds like the monorails aren't working there and there's a ton of construction?

If I am not mistaken you would get free parking with a point rental. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't want to drive in central Florida,

And the bubble and escape from the real world is the reason I go.

I agree with this totally.
I also agree with people who mentioned having flexibility in terms of staying later or leaving earlier than others in their travel group. We usually travel with my parents and sometimes the kids want to go back and swim, but other adults want to stay at the parks. The Disney transportation makes that all easier.

Depending on who you’re traveling with and why you’re going!
especially for people who are wanting specific dining reservations at good times. Since on site guests can book their whole trip at the 60 day mark, they can often snag more of the coveted spots.

One possible downside to a large group staying off site, is that the group has to be rounded up and set off and leave together. Whereas, staying on site, individuals can come and go as they please.

We've always had more than one car, so for us anyways this is never an issue but ymmv.

The MK monorail was running last fall when I stayed there. Did that change?

Monorail is running but Poly has torn down the stop and is building it back up again. Nowhere for it to stop at. But you can walk to the MK (right with the walkway from the GF open now?) or take the boat. The Epcot line isn't running as of now but if it does start prior to October, you can walk to the TTC.

Yeah, I am finding a beautiful house super close, with a private pool/hot tub, rooms for everyone, 5 bathrooms for 7 people... for less than one value room at Pop. Seriously, I mean let me stay at MK until 3 AM and I'll pay the Pop or even Poly prices, but kick me out at 6 PM, and really?
Yeah unless your staying onsite for transportation there's no real advantage right now. With all the people you have going you need some space to spread out and it will be completely private so I'm with you on that call.

I have always been a total staying onsite supporter. I couldn't imagine not staying onsite. We are not an early-open-the park-family, but we love to close it down and we love, love, loved the evening EMH. We also used to love coming back to the resorts and swimming late.

I turn 50 in October so I'd like to plan a trip to celebrate my 50th with WDW! Now my kids are older (21, 19, & 16). We will be bringing a girlfriend (20) and a boyfriend (19). So with a large group like this and 6 out of the 7 adults. The room prices are pricey even at the values. I love the theming and the nostalgia of staying on-site, but with no EMH, have to pay for parking, no FP to get to schedule earlier, pools closing early, etc at the resorts... I am really struggling to see why staying onsite would be better than booking an Airbnb with a private pool with tons of space close to the property at a fraction of the cost?

What am I missing? Would I be really missing out by not staying onsite this October? The idea of it seems almost disloyal! LOL!
When you wake up to the train whistle at the Grand Floridian and look out your balcony to see the Magic Kingdom. Then you get in a boat that seems to be taking you over to some magical island.

Or you are in the pool and the monorail whizzes by reminding you you’ve never left the magic.

Or you stand on your balcony and serendipitously catch the Electric Water Pageant.

When you know everyone you see or pass by at your resort is doing the same thing you are, and the energy is palpable.

I actually think onsite transportation is not a perk. The amount of times I've walked past crowded Disney bus stops with people waiting 30 minutes for a bus at park close - straight to my vehicle to drive to my offsite villa which is closer to the park than many Disney hotels . . .

My own vehicle is more flexible, convenient, and time saving to me. Our party is large, so we always have 2 or 3 cars for people to come and go as they please. We don't rent, but drive all the way from Canada to save on flights and car rentals. I'm surprised this option isn't talked about more on these boards. So many people worrying about the cost of vehicle rentals when they live 10 or 15 hours from the parks and could just drive themselves instead of fly... We live 22 hours away and it's still cheaper with a hotel stay on the way for us to go this route.

Having our own pool and hot tub and tons of space to spread out is priceless for me (but in this case, also thousands of dollars cheaper). Having said that, everyone's preferences are different, so do what's right for you.

Last edited:
After many years of staying only onsite two years ago we stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a two bedroom. We booked on eBay for $1400.00 for the week. We either used our rental car or Uber to get to the parks. While I love staying onsite for that extra Disney magic getting two rooms would have been twice that much and it’s so hard now to justify the cost. If you can find a place not to far it takes no longer than Disney transportation to drive yourself or Uber. Going in two weeks and staying offsite again.

One possible downside to a large group staying off site, is that the group has to be rounded up and set off and leave together. Whereas, staying on site, individuals can come and go as they please.

Not really. Large group likely already has multiple rental cars or Ubers.

Many off-site hotels already offer shuttle bus service as well.

But yes... staying on-site makes it a little bit easier to come and go from the parks. At least if you’re in a monorail/skyliner/walkable resort.

A BIG point to remember: At some point this year, WDW will initiate Early Theme Park Entry for on-site guests.
That will penalize off-site guests far worse than any of the pre-pandemic policies.

Early Theme Park Entry means that off-site guests lose the ability to rope drop parks. Pre-pandemic, 1 park might have an EMH morning, but you could still rope drop the other 3 parks. Once Early Entry starts, off-site guests are basically always going to be 30 minutes behind on-site guests. By the time off-site guests are allowed to enter the park, Mine Train, Pandora, Slinky Dog, will all already have hour long lines.

For now, until early entry begins, I agree being on-site has few advantages. The only big advantage right now is location of some resorts in connection with some parks. If you're in a monorail resort, the ability to get back to your room from Magic Kingdom in 10-15 minutes for a mid-day break is still an advantage. If you're spending a lot of nights at Epcot Festivals, the ability to take a 5 minute walk from the Beach Club is still an advantage.

If you're in a monorail resort, the ability to get back to your room from Magic Kingdom in 10-15 minutes for a mid-day break is still an advantage. If you're spending a lot of nights at Epcot Festivals, the ability to take a 5 minute walk from the Beach Club is still an advantage.

I absolutely can’t agree with this enough. No amount of offsite savings can make up for losing that to me. Proximity is absolutely priceless to us. I find that midday breaks are most crucial for us at MK, and that’s the most annoying park to do them at if you aren’t staying nearby. And I can’t describe how cool it is to be able to just pop into Epcot to eat, or make a quick exit if festival crowds are too much. Not to mention the current state of rope drop at the Studios...cars are behind everybody walking from the Crescent Lake resorts or taking Disney transportation. I can’t imagine that would be great on really busy days.

Staying onsite was never about the extra perks to me, though I enjoyed them and mourn the loss of several (RAC & package delivery mainly, though I have hope the latter will return at some point). It’s always been location, location, location.

I absolutely can’t agree with this enough. No amount of offsite savings can make up for losing that to me. Proximity is absolutely priceless to us. I find that midday breaks are most crucial for us at MK, and that’s the most annoying park to do them at if you aren’t staying nearby. And I can’t describe how cool it is to be able to just pop into Epcot to eat, or make a quick exit if festival crowds are too much. Not to mention the current state of rope drop at the Studios...cars are behind everybody walking from the Crescent Lake resorts or taking Disney transportation. I can’t imagine that would be great on really busy days.

Staying onsite was never about the extra perks to me, though I enjoyed them and mourn the loss of several (RAC & package delivery mainly, though I have hope the latter will return at some point). It’s always been location, location, location.

Agree with all that -- But in fairness, it's very resort and park specific. Staying at Pop Century doesn't really give you this advantage. Staying at Beach Club doesn't make it any easier to get to Magic Kingdom. Staying at the Contemporary doesn't help you get to those Epcot festivals -- especially with the Epcot monorail still not running.

We are staying at Riviera in August. I expect to be using the skyliner for Epcot and DHS, emphasizing those parks for the trip.

Agree with all that -- But in fairness, it's very resort and park specific. Staying at Pop Century doesn't really give you this advantage. Staying at Beach Club doesn't make it any easier to get to Magic Kingdom. Staying at the Contemporary doesn't help you get to those Epcot festivals -- especially with the Epcot monorail still not running.

We are staying at Riviera in August. I expect to be using the skyliner for Epcot and DHS, emphasizing those parks for the trip.

Staying at BC or Pop does make it easier to get to MK though. Obviously not nearly as easy as walking from the monorail resorts but until we get Minnie Vans back, at other resorts buses are still the best way of getting there to me, and I’d much rather do that than deal with the TTC at rope drop especially with the way cars are being held atm. The only time I’d argue otherwise is when taking them from those behemoth mods with a billion internal stops. Driving would be less frustrating to me imo.

The end of the night...nowadays it’s not as much an issue without nighttime shows. But the nightmare that was trying to drive out of the TTC after fireworks on a busy night only to fight traffic on I-4 back in 2016 was enough to convince me I never wanted to stay offsite again. And we were at the Sheraton Vistana that trip, which really isn’t that far (it took us maybe 20 minutes to get to the TTC in the morning). It felt like it was on Mars though when sitting in that car.

But ftr I've never stayed at the Values because they don’t suit us at all, and was really frustrated the 1 time I stayed at a mod (POFQ) solely because of the lack of proximity. Much more than I expected, even though I went in with an open mind and otherwise liked things about the resort. I just value it that highly.

Staying at BC or Pop does make it easier to get to MK though. Obviously not nearly as easy as walking from the monorail resorts but until we get Minnie Vans back, at other resorts buses are still the best way of getting there to me, and I’d much rather do that than deal with the TTC at rope drop especially with the way cars are being held atm. The only time I’d argue otherwise is when taking them from those behemoth mods with a billion internal stops. Driving would be less frustrating to me imo.

With often having to wait 30-60 minutes for a bus, that then will make multiple stops.... Hard to say that's really better than walking to your car and leaving.

In fact, many on-site guests end up taking Uber because the buses are so bad currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter