• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there an easy way to search for rooms for 6?

az4boys

DIS Veteran
We just got Deluxe AP's this week for the first time, after years of dreaming. I'm giddy! Now I need to figure out hotels. I've been looking online a lot. Is there an easy way to search for motels/hotels that sleep 6 without going to all of their websites individually? My experience so far is that we can stay in one room for 6 at a nicer hotel cheaper than we can stay in 2 rooms for 4 at a cheaper motel. I'd be fine with a room for 6 at a budget motel as long as it was clean and safe. Some of the popular search websites (hotels.com, priceline.com, etc.) will not allow for a room search that accommodates 2 adults and 4 kids.

We would also like to make some last minute trips, maybe just one night. Are there any budget motels/hotels within 30 minutes of the Toy Story parking lot?

Define budget...

We're also a family of 6 and we stay at the Doubletree Suites a lot, which is 1/2 block from the Toy Story lot and find their rates to be very good. Never had a problem booking dates we wanted there.

Define budget...

My definition of budget... my kids think sleeping in the car is a viable option, while I do not. I did look up camping (at an RV park) and they only allow 4 people too! I think I would define budget as no-frills. Just a basic room with clean beds and a clean bathroom. We just stayed at Homewood Suites near the convention center because the rates there were cheaper than the rates for walking distance motels closer to the parks. I would not say Homewood Suites is budget at all, but we've been fortunate with good rates there. Considering they allow all day parking and we can use the Toy Story shuttle, it seems to be a good deal. I was looking for a cheaper option, but if we'd have to pay for parking at Toy Story it needs to be at least $20 cheaper to come out ahead.

Well, if you have self inflating camp mats(i have the $30 costco ones), a room for 4 suddenly sleeps 6 on a "budget"

Well, if you have self inflating camp mats(i have the $30 costco ones), a room for 4 suddenly sleeps 6 on a "budget"
I don't have a problem with putting kids on an air mattress. Are motels in California picky about that?

I don't have a problem with putting kids on an air mattress. Are motels in California picky about that?
Yes. You can't exceed the maximum capacity as set by the fire marshal, even with an infant. Try Six Suitcase Travel. They list hotels with rooms for large families.

Depending on how many park days you're planning, you could upgrade one pass to Signature. You'd get free parking, PhotoPass and higher discounts on food and merchandise. The break even on the difference for just parking is 12 days. You'll have to decide how much value the other perks have.

We have stayed at the Del Sol Inn (Check out their AP room rates.) We have also stayed at The Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites. We found both clean, comfortable and within budget but were willing to pay that bit more to stay right across the street at the Del Sol. But you are right its hard to find rooms for 6 that don't break the bank! I will be following this thread for other suggestions!

The Desert Inn and Suites has rooms that will sleep 6. We stayed there on our trip, it was close and clean. The further out you book with them the cheaper the price.

I only have two kids, but now that they are ages 22 and almost 19 we have definitely outgrown the 2-queen bed rooms. The boys each need their own bed so, at a minimum, we look for 2 queens and a sofa bed. We prefer having two separate sleeping areas. Two bathrooms also make things easier.

I've researched and stayed at many of the hotels in the area. Here are the ones I know of that sleep up to 6 in one room:

Camelot Inn - Suite with a king, 2 queens and a sofa bed.
Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites - Several options for suites.
Desert Palm Inn and Suites - Several options for suites.
Anaheim Islander - 3-queen bed suite.
Alpine inn - 3-queen bed suite.
Best Western Park Place Inn and Suites - Mini suite with 2 queens and a sofa bed.
Best Western Anaheim Inn - Suite with three doubles.
Best Western Raffles Inn - Family suite with 2 queens, 1 bunk bed, sofa bed, 2 bathrooms.
Stanford Inn and Suites - Kid's suite with queens, bunk beds, 2 bathrooms.
Grand Legacy - Several suite options (not inexpensive)
Del Sol Inn - 2 queens and a bunk bed.
Castle Inn and Suites - A few suite options.
Residence Inn - Several suites (not inexpensive)
Courtyard Maingate - Double queen suite with bunk beds (not inexpensive)
There are many others. These are just the ones I can think of that I've researched.

Besides the room rate, I also consider parking fees (most in the area charge anywhere from $8 - $20 or more per night for parking), whether the hotel offers breakfast (many do, but there are a few that do not), and free Wi-Fi (most offer it now). I factor in those costs to determine which rate is really the best based on the type of room I'm looking for.

We stayed at Residence Inn Maingate twice, but, as mentioned, it is not inexpensive. Our first stay in Nov 2012 was only $150/night, but two years later it had jumped to $250 and has stayed there. BUT it has free parking, is a walkable distance, and provides a free real, hot breakfast.
I will have to check out Six Suitcase Travel.

One trick I did not figure out until too late into my AP year was to pick a brand and stay with it and book direct. I have managed quite a few marriot free nights in just 6 months time. Garden Grove is a good option for lodging. And I second upgrading the pass of whoever goes the most/pays the most to signature. The discount difference alone is really noticeable. Again, wish I had figured that out before we took 3 trips in the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter